Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Modern Bullitt Charger build

120K views 940 replies 56 participants last post by  bullit4404 
#1 ·
I started the restoration of my 1968 Dodge Charger with a plan to build a modern Bullitt. The outside of the car will look like the movie car with exception to the wheels, tires and a lower stances.
I’m planning on a set of one off 17” wheels to match the look of the hubcaps use on the Bullitt Charger. This will allow larger brakes and wider tires. This hubcap was made to look like a mag wheel and now
I’m going to have a wheel made to look like a hubcap. The motor will be a gen III Hemi 6.4 or the new Hellcat if it would fit under the stock hood? And a 6 speed manual trans. I have a lot of details to work out but for now
I will bag and tag the parts and get the car media blasted.
Thanks
Pat

This how car looked when I bought it a 1 ½ years ago.

And now the parts start coming off!

See less See more
#2 ·
Pat! That's awesome. Pics pics and lots of pics.

#6 ·
subscribing too

I look forward to following this thread too!!! :) :) :)

Good luck with the project!!!

:cool:

Steve

#10 ·
man I will be watching this thread.. I enjoyed the Bullitt build and quality of work. it will be very interesting on the updates of the charger. I am working on a 70 charger and 73 roadrunner clone with my brother. the issues we have run across changing from the 318 automatic to a 440 4 speed on the RR have been challenging. and finding parts for the 70 has been a fun event as well..
here is a shot of the Charger..
and here is the Roadrunner clone.

#12 ·
Still bagging and tagging the charger so I can get the car to the media blaster. Overall the car is in great shape with all of its original sheet metal and no accidents. The front fenders have never been off the car as I had to remove the great factory undercoating to get to the fasteners for the splash guards. The media blaster I’m sure will uncover a few surprises. But for now here is the Good the Bad and the Ugly to date.
The Good, all of the frame rails are in excellent condition with only one small area of rust on the right side trans cross member and no accidents front or rear.

The Bad, a little rust on the driver’s side floor that will take an 8” x 12” patch panel

And the Ugly, I knew I would be replacing the trunk floor when I bought the car, but the back yard patch job is Ugly! On the good side both trunk drop and frame rails are rust free.

Thanks
Pat

#13 ·
I received the 1st rendering of the custom wheel I’m having made to look like the hubcaps used on the Bullitt Charger. There are a few small changes that need to be made, such as the center emblem is not orientated correctly. There will be a tool that will fit the emblem which will allow access to the lug-nuts. I’m very happy with the 1st drawings of this one off wheel and look forward to seeing them made.

This is the original hubcap

And here is the custom version of the hubcap

Thanks
Pat

#16 ·
Clean and restore before reassembly isn't a bad idea at all. Storing clean parts, got to be nicer than having to clean/repair old parts as you are preparing to reassemble the car. You vent box is looking not so old now.

#18 ·
Received a few more wheel drawing with the logo upright and the black around the cut outs removed. Next drawings will have the extra material remove that was black as I think it may look better??

This is the front wheel 17x9 with a 5 ½” back space

And this is the back wheel 17x11 with a 6 ½” back space
Thanks
Pat

#20 ·
this is very cool. I am an old school Mopar guy and will definitely be enjoying watching this build. Nicely done!!!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
Disassembled both doors so I can send out the vent window and door handles for re-chroming. Here are a few picture of the left doors hardware cleaned and painted along with the right doors hardware as it came out.

I remembered from my last 68 charger that reproduction the tail light gaskets didn’t fit well. This time I was able to remove the original gasket without much damage and used an upholstery steamer to expand the foam. Then I sprayed a few coats of Plasti-Dip to fill in any damage. They should work like new!

Thanks
Pat

#23 ·
Still removing and restoring as I go, but not much photogenic stuff to post. One of the things I restored was the rearview mirror and I took a few pictures of my sons 68 mustang with it.

Soon my Charger will look as good as his Fastback but it will be a lot faster ;-)
Thanks!
Pat

#25 ·
killer tires.

#26 ·
of course, then.....there are these:

Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radial 345-40-17 345/40R17

I wish I could get these under my car.

#27 ·
I skinned the charger and found a little rust around the back window but the front window channel looks great!

I also pulled the motor and Trans, as I sold it. With the motor in the car and still running I put it on Craigslist with a video and the 2nd called bought it! The 1st called was ****ed.
Thanks
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.