American Racing wheel question Paint or powdercoat? - IMBOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5211
American Racing wheel question Paint or powdercoat?

I want my American Racing Torque Thrust wheels to be darker like the oxidized originals. I've looked at the Eastwood Charcoal wheel paint and I'm also considering having the spokes powder coated. Any suggestions by those of you who have done this? I have limited painting experience, but I think I could scuff up the light gray paint on the wheels, degrease them and mask them off for paint. I figure two good coats should be good.............or...............I could have them powder coated. Please chime in with pros and cons for each method. BTW powder coating will cost approx $75 per wheel. Painting will be less expensive, but not sure how long it will last. Thanks guys.

1968 HG Fastback GT/Jcode Bullitt tribute
2001 DHG Bullitt #256 co-owned w/ grbullet
2008 DHG Bullitt #5211
2014 Roush Stage 3 5.0 supercharged (son's)
2017 Magnetic Fastback 5.0/GT (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Hey Rob, I used the Eastwood Charcoal Wheel paint on my wheels, and have found it to be very durable product. Be sure to take care when masking off the areas not to be painted because the paint dries very fast, especially when applied in warm temps, or in the sun. It's been two years, and I haven't had any issues with the paint. It's Good Stuff...I used two cans.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Inactive

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3423
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklacop
I want my American Racing Torque Thrust wheels to be darker like the oxidized originals. I've looked at the Eastwood Charcoal wheel paint and I'm also considering having the spokes powder coated. Any suggestions by those of you who have done this? I have limited painting experience, but I think I could scuff up the light gray paint on the wheels, degrease them and mask them off for paint. I figure two good coats should be good.............or...............I could have them powder coated. Please chime in with pros and cons for each method. BTW powder coating will cost approx $75 per wheel. Painting will be less expensive, but not sure how long it will last. Thanks guys.
Rob,

(Opinion) if it were my wheels I would spend the $75.00 Dollars per wheel and have them Power-Coated.

It will hold-up much longer I think.

Especially when you use Wheel Cleaner to get the Brake-Dust off which you already know
(Brake Dust) is "Corrosive".

tigerhonaker

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Go with powdercoating it will last.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode