• 1 Post By mungus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5211
New pained mirror

Finally got around to having Classic Recreations paint my Scott Drake round mirror to match the rest of the car. The pics don't do it justice, the paint matches great. This is the same shop that originally painted the car. It's not exactly like the mirror on the movie car, but it's a lot closer than the bright chrome rectangle mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BULLITT MIRROR1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	62641   Click image for larger version

Name:	BULLITTMIRROR3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	62649  

1968 HG Fastback GT/Jcode Bullitt tribute
2001 DHG Bullitt #256 co-owned w/ grbullet
2008 DHG Bullitt #5211
2014 Roush Stage 3 5.0 supercharged (son's)
2017 Magnetic Fastback 5.0/GT (wife's)

Last edited by oklacop; 01-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
I definitely like it! Not enough difference to note, at least to my eye. And the paint is pretty good. PRobably better than the original had, I'm sure of that.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 PM

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Garage
Cool Better than stock square one for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMidgley View Post
I definitely like it! Not enough difference to note, at least to my eye. And the paint is pretty good. PRobably better than the original had, I'm sure of that.
Certainly looks better than the big square 68 FoMoCo mirror.

I don't think the "Yankee" ones were on such a long stalk as your one, but its certainly an improvement, so well done.

I'm still hopeful of finding a "Yankee Metal Products" movie correct mirror. It would help to have a Yankee model number, but when Mike Farrell got his in 2012, he found nothing on the underside of the base. This is very unusual for Yankee products. I've never seen one without its brand and a patent / model number under the base before, and I've seen a few different Yankee mirrors. All that makes me ponder whether it is a Yankee product at all. Perhaps its just a case of Mike said it is, and so the legend has spread. (no offence to Mike). In truth some of the shapes on it do look like other Yankee products.

These days with laser scanners and 3D printers, if I was Mike I'd be tempted to make a batch. Theres a few Bullitt clone guys like me and you. I'd buy one... You could ask $100+ easily. The maker wouldn't even need to do any finishing beyond white metal, just make it ready for priming.

Meantime I think a 1966 FoMoCo Mustang mirror painted HG actually looks close enough to fool all but the Bullitt replica builders / owners (folks like us). Couple of photos of Mikes movie correct mirror below.

And this one is a 1966 Mustang one painted HG, just for comparison. Stalk in the wrong spot but looks OK while you're finding the Yankee!

bullit4404 likes this.

March 68' S code GT Fastback - build underway.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mungus; 01-19-2018 at 01:02 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: Replica
Greetings Mungus, Mike Farrell here, I've been away from the IMBOC site for years, however, when a friend of mine tipped me off about your post, I thought I would answer. In regards to the "Bullitt" Mirror. The Yankee Metal Products Model# for the mirror is 503. However, none of the mirrors I found had the model number stamped on them. As a matter of fact, over the past few years, as mirrors popped up (rarely) on Ebay, I have yet to see in any photo posted by the seller showing the model number being embossed on the base or anywhere else. Some of the auctions had the original box with the mirror, which indicates the model number. Here's another "fun fact" about this allusive mirror. It was also sold back in the 50's 60's under "GTC" or the "General Trading Company" / St. Paul Minnesota, as Rear View Mirror model No. 12-9620, which I currently own, in perfect NOS condition, inside the original box. I also possess 3 other Yankee 503 NOS mirrors, without the boxes.
mungus and bullit4404 like this.

Last edited by JcodeBullitt; 11-13-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 02:09 AM

Garage
Lightbulb Hello!

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that info, a couple of immaculate boxed NOS #503 mirrors came up on eBay in the last few months, and also one single, not unreasonably priced either. Unfortunately i saw them too late.
So I’m hopeful others will appear. May message you soon.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:29 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
Looks very cool!!!! Awesome Job!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:16 PM

Garage
My thanks to Mike Farrell (no not CPT B.J. Honeycutt of MASH fame), who kindly sold me one of his rare model 503 mirrors.
So at least that part of my Bullitt replica will be movie correct!
Thanks Mike!
bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode