More Bullitt FAQ - 2nd owner revelation, mods to Bullit & more facts - Page 2 - IMBOC
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Garage
Red face Not unusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
Hey Dan,

I talked with an individual that has photos of the car after several years in the barn. It does not look good..... It has not been taken care of since he purchased it as witnessed by him letting it sit in a horse barn for numerous years.
Believe or not its not unusual with rare vehicles. In New Zealand (my country of birth) there was an old hermit in the Nelson area, living on his late parents farm, with no phone or letter box, who had a large collection of very historical WW2 aircraft. All original, unrestored and languishing in a home made shed. He had no money or will to restore them, and would usually chase off any visitors. I was lucky enough to befriend him whilst at flying school a few miles down the road from him. He was an enthusiast of these things in the late 1950's and early 1960's when nobody cared for such things, and they were being cut up for scrap. He used his Dad's farm truck and hay trailer to drive to several RNZAF bases and wreckers yards and collected, wait for it;

2 x Curtis P40's (1 with WW2 media history and zero kill markings on it)
1 x P51D Mustang (engine still turns and drips oil)
1 x Harvard / Texan
1 x Hudson bomber
1 x Tiger Month RNZAF WW2 trainer (immaculate back then, he did his PPL in it then put in into storage!)
1 x DH Mosquito (80 hours on it, completely original) - Yes I kid you not, one of the rarest WW2 fighters ever and almost unmolested. The engines ran until he ran out of money to buy the 200L drums of avgas necessary to warm them up!!
Plus many parts; RR jet engines, DH Vampire & Canberra fuselages, Wheels etc)

He was like the Bullitt owner, bought it cheap and just likes having it in his shed. No interest in sharing it or using it, with the exception of letting the odd warbird restorer measure or photograph things in an "as it was" state. Sadly some took advantage of him and didn't return borrowed parts etc, perhaps leading to his lack of an open welcome to all.

He would let me sit in the Mossie's cockpit and help him pull the P40's out so he could sweep the floor, and that made me "special" in the eyes of the locals. But like the Bullitt's owner, he just let them slowly fade away... rather sad, but then to be fair, its "his trainset" and we should be grateful he had the sense to save these things when the rest of society couldn't care less...

Perhaps one day, when the Bullitt's owner dies, or hopefully sooner, the world will once again share this special car. Often its simply money that takes over. When that special person passes on, often the kids or spouse simply see big $$$ signs and flog it off.
If his son drives it, then great, although I hope he doesn't butcher it getting it roadworthy... Altering anything unnecessarily on that car would be criminal IMHO!
Aceblade likes this.

Last edited by mungus; 02-12-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:29 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Having a sought after collector car can become a royal pain in the donkey...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 AM

Garage
Anyway I finally got an email from Amos and they confirmed that they don't have any left.
Would anyone here be willing to sell their copy OR perhaps scan and email the article for me?
I would pay a small fee for scanning and emailing if you like (by PayPal?).
Any help appreciated.

I've been searching on eBay and there are quite a few Bullitt articles in various Mustang magazines but this one isn't around at it seems.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Garage
ANYBODY?

A scan will do if you can't part with it. I've bought lots of magazines with Bullitt articles in them, but this is the one I would really like to have a copy of.
Even if its just a soft copy of the Bullitt article itself, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode