5Likes
  • 2 Post By bullit4404
  • 1 Post By bullit4404
  • 2 Post By Tony Alonso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Transmission question

My first Mustang (and simply love my 19 Bullitt), but what is the exact make and model of the six speed transmission? Is it the same for the GT?

Did search on this site and couldn't find anything. Ford sites really didn't help and weren't specific about the Tremec they use. Tremec wasn't allowed to tell me anything about OEM parts on-line? Go figure?

Got 1500 miles on the Bullitt.........tranny just OK.......seems to work smoother on quick shifts vs. cruising shift? Strange? Just doesn't feel top notch for this power/motor? Maybe it's just me?

Had many other sport/muscle cars with much cleaner manual shift mechanisms. Any info appreciated. Tx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
The current transmission is a Getrag MT-82. Getrag is a subsidiary of Ford. The transmissions are built in China these days. There have been some complaints for early 2018's regarding shifting fork failures. The current Bullit transmission was developed for the 2018 GT and Bullit and uses the same ratios, different than 2017. Geared for better fuel mileage with 5th and 6th both overdrives and now utilizing a twin disc clutch for added durability.

PS I believe the GT 350 uses a Tremec TR-3160 gearbox
bullitt19 and #94 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Last edited by bullit4404; 04-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:23 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 02729
I saw on a recently delivered Bullitt to a dealership that the transmission was made in China, as you report. I would like to know if this is something to worry about, in terms of quality. Relative to shift fork failure, it is my understanding that this is nothing new for Mustangs. I had a 2001 Bullitt and shift forks were a problem as there was some problem regarding the lack of some kind of coating on them they were supposed to have but was not applied in the manufacturing process. Is there any way to find out if the 2019 Bullitt has had shift fork failures?

Bullitt 2729 Densacharger cold air intake with K & N filter, 373 gears, TeamBreed aluminum valve covers, aluminum drive shaft, MGW orange shifter, MGW shift knob with pony, shift pattern on MGW cig lighter, MGW license plate holder with pony, Bullitt banner on back window and c-pillar, 20K miles. Plus 98 GT with Flow Masters, 373s, AT, black leather, 49K, showroom clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Like I said Dennis, it was an early issue and it's supposed to be fixed? Hey man, everything is made in China, Getrag was originally German, but labour costs were too high in Europe. As long as the QC guys are doing their jobs, should be OK.
bullitt19 likes this.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
The current manual is actually the 3rd revision to the MT-82 by Getrag since the 5.0L Coyote was introduced for model year 2011. Yes, it's produced in China. Yes, it's the same for the Mustang GT. The shift forks were supposedly more problematic in the 2018 model year when that 3rd revision was introduced. There was a change done to the material just ahead of the 2019 model year. I've seen one person get a '19 that had an issue with the shift forks. I had a 2015 Mustang GT, and I had no trouble with the transmission. I find the one in the '19 to feel smoother to shift than in my '15.

Yes, back in the day, the Tremec T3650s had issues with shifting. I actually had the one in my 2003 Mach 1 replaced under warranty when it started grinding going into 2nd and 3rd gear. Bottom line is that it's not something to worry about as much as when they first came out, in my opinion.
bullit4404 and bullitt19 like this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Just an additional note here. The 08 initially had issues with the synchronizers causing them to grind when cold. There was a Ford TSB ford describing how to fix it. Mine was fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode