• 1 Post By bullit4404
  • 1 Post By pwd72s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Thumbs up Weight is speed, Bullit on a diet.

First, I must apologize for not writing much lately. My 98 yo mother broke her arm in the fall and we had to move her to a nursing care facility. She is doing fine. Then a lady friend's Dad died, followed by her getting really sick over Christmas. But, I'm back now.
Weight, the enemy of speed. No matter what year Bullit you have, a modest diet will help speed and handling.
First, the back seat, take it out. Put down some sound mat on the floor and cover the space with black cotton and attach with velcro strips. Remove the floor seat belts while you're at it. Total weight savings about 30#.
Next the battery. If you need a new one, consider a Lithium or "Lifepo" battery. Regular battery about 40#, Lithium 10#. 30# savings. Cost is about double of a good regular battery but they last a lot longer (require specific charger)
Wheels and tires. A forged wheel will save you about 10# per corner and performance tires about 2# each. Total savings 48#. Forged wheels are pricey, about double a good cast wheel, but they are much stronger.
Aluminum driveshaft, another 25# or so, better shifting, power application
Stereo equipment: Remove any woofers or amps in the trunk, savings up to 50#.
Next, when you need new brake rotors rotors, go two piece, (aluminum hat cast rotor) Weight savings at least 5# a corner 20#
Drain your windshield washer reservoir, savings up to 10#. Carry a jug with you in case.
When you get to the track remove the spare, trunk mats, floor mats etc. About 50-60#
You can do it a bit at a time, but add it all up and you've chopped up to ~250 # off the weight of the vehicle.
Oh and one that's free, most of us could lose 20 or 30# which would bring us to a total of over 275 pounds or 7% of the total weight of a 2019 Bullit. Significant. Better handling, better acceleration. Zoom, zoom!
FarmerDon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
I'm glad you mentioned that many of us could lose a few pounds.

Seriously, when I first bought the '09, one of my first thoughts were about the unneeded weight it carried. The servo motors of the windows, the mirrors, the driver's seat alone...

But then, if you're not going to track the car, the luxury items that rob performance are nice to have.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Yes, that's why I don't strip street cars down. Otherwise, pull out everything that's heavy, the AC, power windows, seats, interior, the works. You can get rid of hundreds of pounds if it's going to be a track car. My 914 race car weighed 1875 pounds with a full cage, and 180 HP.
FarmerDon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Supporting Member

There are Porsche club racers who've reached the sub 2000 pound range....easy to do though, since the curb weight on my 1972 911S was only 2445 pounds...and it was the "porker" of the early ('65-'73) 911's. Remember the blank stares I'd get from those driving Detroit iron when I'd say forged alloy wheels...and they'd freak out when I tossed 'em one of the alloy lug nuts. Yes, Porsche used to realize that weight was bad. Today, the cars are porkers that perform well by the "just add more horsepower" engineering theory.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

For awhile Porsche used those titanium lug nuts, but they weren't allowed at the race track because they could crack and fail under racing stress. We used to carry a magnet when we "teched" the cars to make sure they had steel lug nuts.
pwd72s likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 09:54 PM
Supporting Member

The factory lug nuts worked well...but shady aftermarket folks made cast aluminum replicas they could sell for much less. Those failed. Easy fix was to use the open faced VW steel lug nuts that also allowed the use of longer wheel bolts.
bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode