26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4072
Test ride today!

Today I test drove a lightly used Bullitt (in DHG, of course) & I'll summarize my experience & just say WOW. This one had every upgrade, except Recaros. 1200 miles on the odo. SHAWING!

Sadly, yday it got door-dinged in the driver door- huge, like size of a quarter damage, paint gone all the way down to the bare metal. I coulda screamed. I told the dealership that was a $5000 door ding & they understood.

Moving on...
Stock suspension and brakes were amazing! Light years ahead in quality & performance compared to my lightly modded, but still fantastic '09 GT500. I thought my car stopped/handled/performed well but the Bullitt beat it hands down. The Bullitt just felt so solid- no squeaks, rattles. Quality all around. The salesguy was ok w/me pushing it too- matter of fact, he encouraged me to do so.

Engine-wise, the GT500 still pulls better- feels like loads more torque, especially down low, than the Bullitt, but the latter revved well and power was linear & strong. It was impressive for a n/a engine.

Adjustable exhaust was cool too but I'm about 100% certain it'll always be in race mode. That resonator has got to go tho- can you say H pipe? Even in race mode it was too quiet for my tastes.

Interior fit & finish were marvelous and the seats were exceptionally comfy for my bulky frame. This one had the vented seats so my arse got the a/c treatment- that was kinda neato.

Never even turned on the stereo, cuz, honestly- who cares? And this one had the upgraded system.

I'll leave it here it with this: as a former '08 Bullitt owner, I could possibly, potentially, just maybe be swayed...

Overall, really, really impressed by the Bullitt. Still HATE the front end but the rest of the car just wowed me. Never driven such a complete & solid Stang before. Loaded w/quality and an awesome car.

Crikey, I wonder what the GT350s ride like?
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:36 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6498
Thanks for an honest evaluation of the new BULLITT. I've had a 2001,a 2008, and now own a 2009. The 08/09 are pretty much the same...……..improvement over the 01 especially in the looks department, but all nice cars.
I did have a 2010 GT500 for about six years...…….great car but it had in my opinion a crazy way of putting down the 540 hp. I never felt comfortable driving the car since it's capability was far superior to my driving skills.
I know now why I see so many GT500 crashes at Cars and Coffee!
I'm considering a new BULLITT and will welcome other evaluations other than You Tube!

BTW...………….has anyone had their 2019 on the drag strip and measured 0-60 and quarter mile times?

I've seen a lot of conflicting numbers………….

ARMY TC
bullit4404 likes this.

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

One must respect the GT500 and its power- that's for sure. Mine is modded to an estimated 550- more than enough. It's only ever gotten away from me once. I nearly shat myself as I was heading for the dividing wall on the turnpike but then the car corrected itself like nothing happened... except in my undies.

I've always said the S197 format was never designed for anything north of 350 RWHP. After that, you're asking for trouble if you're going a-racing, unless you've got some serious suspension work, tires and brakes. My '14 GT T/P was lightly modded too and I could barely get that thing to take off w/out spinning tires.

The S550 Bullitt, boy I'll tellya, I don't think I'd have the same issues w/that ride. It was pretty sweet.
Lee
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01251
Lee, Your been bit by the “Bullitt buying bug”! I sat in one in showroom back in fall of 2018. Refuse to ride or drive one for fear of the “Bullitt buying bug”! Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DHG # 01251-130,000+ miles -ACCEL COP's-LED 3rd Brake Light-Web Electric Sequential Turn Signals-Magnaflow Magnapack Catback Exhaust-Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks-KYB Axle Damper Shocks-Bullitt Center Caps from On in 60-JLT RAI DHG -Chin Spoiler -Mach 1 Grille Delete-FarmerDons Custom Mesh Grille Insert

USAF 70-74
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:58 PM

Monster BullittHead

Totally agree with you on the GT500. When the blower really came on you better be paying attention!

So at this point, I would like something a bit quicker than my 2009 BULLITT but safe for an old guy to drive.

When the weather finals permits a test drive, I'll go check out a BULLITT or a new GT Mustang...……..that should give me a feel for the car.

My best friend just traded his 2011 Shelby Convertible on a 1320 Dodge Challenger...…….I'm not a Dodge guy, buts it's a nice car and has a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds...……..pretty quick for a car that size.

All these cars have come a long ways in the last 20 years...………..wish I was younger!

ARMY TC

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerDon View Post
Lee, Your been bit by the “Bullitt buying bug”! I sat in one in showroom back in fall of 2018. Refuse to ride or drive one for fear of the “Bullitt buying bug”! Good luck!!
I went & saw one when they were first released. The sales guys watched me pull up in my GT500 & immediately approached me. Of course, they knew what I came to see but at that time, the dealers were adding ridiculous ADM. I told them flat out I'd deal if they dropped it & gave me $35k for my car but said their boss would never approve it. That Bullitt sat on that showroom floor for quite some time, until they dropped the ADM.

I'm glad I test drove one. I wanted to see the difference 10 years in progress made and wasn't disappointed. Night & day. Enough to make me want to trade tho? That's another discussion. My GT500, even w/72+k on the odo, is still a great car, a real head turner & I enjoy the heck out of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMY TC View Post
Totally agree with you on the GT500. When the blower really came on you better be paying attention!

So at this point, I would like something a bit quicker than my 2009 BULLITT but safe for an old guy to drive.

When the weather finals permits a test drive, I'll go check out a BULLITT or a new GT Mustang...……..that should give me a feel for the car.

My best friend just traded his 2011 Shelby Convertible on a 1320 Dodge Challenger...…….I'm not a Dodge guy, buts it's a nice car and has a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds...……..pretty quick for a car that size.

All these cars have come a long ways in the last 20 years...………..wish I was younger!

ARMY TC
Of all the Dodges, I really like the new Challenger RT Widebody Scat Track in Destroyer Gray or Plum Crazy, w/the Bumble Bee stripe & 6 speed manual, of course. Rings all the right bells. But it's too big/heavy for me & I do not like big cars. Not having driven one, I'd still take the new Bullitt over it but it sure looks to be a fun car.

Funny thing is, I was actually considering trading for a '13 Boss 302. Kind of a step down from the GT500 but I'm almost at that point where I'm looking to trade/start over. My GT500 is my 7th Stang and I tend to swap them out every 3-4 years cuz they're my daily drivers. I recently found a low mileage GHIG '13 Boss at a local dealer and it was gorgeous. About $10g's cheaper than the Bullitt too! But somebody beat me to the punch.

The late model S197 '13 & 14 model Stangs are even a step-up performance-wise over the '05-09 gen. I loved my '08 Bullitt but my '14 GT Track Pack was so much nicer in so many ways, so much more refined, better built, more powerful, better handling/braking/performing. It really was foolish of me to sell that to step back & get the GT500 but I'd always wanted one so I've got no regrets.
Lee
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3122
Garage
Hey Lee, has that Bullitt followed you home yet?
bullit4404 likes this.

--
I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability.
-Ron White
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

No, but not for lack of trying by the salesman! I told them they have to get the door ding fixed before anything could possibly happen. And of course, I've yet to have 'the discussion' w/the wife as I fear that may make me very dead.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:30 AM

Mega BullittHead

Garage
“New car? Where?? Nah, I’ve had it forever, you just never noticed it before!”
banzaibullitt likes this.

--
-Ron White
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
A car guy's greatest fear...that if he dies, his widow will sell the cars for what he told her he paid for them..
Not just cars...pool cues as well. Last time I was in the cue ball, Carlos asked what my Josey playing cue cost...before telling him, I had to look around to see if Cindy was in earshot.

Seriously, if they hadn't gone star trek on the dash, I'd be New Mustang tempted. At this time, the '09 may well be my last car. The young guys love those dashes...I hate 'em.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Mega BullittHead

Garage
I hope the B is my last car. I have no fondness for all the new bells and whistles, I think they are just more distractions from the road. When I bought it, I replaced the wonky Shaker 1000 with a 1/2 height radio and a little storage compartment under it. Every once in a blue moon, I consider replacing that with something that includes a backup camera. The thought always passes quickly. I’d like to have the capacity for Sirius but don’t drive enough to justify it. The flash drive has about 1000 songs on it and my favorite song is the B itself.
VIC-TIM, pwd72s and FarmerDon like this.

--
-Ron White
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Same here...told Sirius to take a hike when the free period expired. Just plug in an ipod with over 2,000 songs, set it to shuffle play and go...
FarmerDon and Marguerite like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:36 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Yes, they are fun. Yes, the S550 platform has come a long way. Yes, you can get some good deals on them now. Yes, you should own one

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Monster BullittHead

Thanks for the encouragement Tony!!!!

LOL!!!!!

ARMY TC

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Looks like I won't be moving forward at the moment. Number of reasons.

1. Trade in value for the GT500 is for shiite. According to the interwebs, I'm looking at approximately $20g's. I could likely sell myself for $25-30g's but then there's the hassles that come w/that.

2. My son was in my wife's car a couple months back and the car was totaled. Luckily, he walked away- the car, not so much. Had to find/buy her a replacement, which I did w/in 2 days. There was a chunk of change out of pocket that was unexpected. Insurance paid off about half but didn't cover full cost of replacement, so I've got one payment already.

3. Timing is everything. In 3 months, the financing becomes far less an issue. But it's now, not 3 months from now so...

I contacted the sales-guy & let him know. Over the last 5 days, they dropped the asking price- which was in the right ballpark already- about $800. Dagnabit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode