• 2 Post By BULLITT02734
  • 2 Post By #94

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Clear Protective Film

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or comments regarding installing clear protective film to the front end of the car? Thanks, bobg1726
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 02:51 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 7655
Garage
I looked into it. I'm told that eventually, the sun will turn the film yellow, and if examined closely, you'd be able to see it. I went with the ceramic coating. They coated everything from trim to wheels and should be good for at least 5 years. It costed about $1400 with window tinting included
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 07:39 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Fellow 2019 Bullitt owner Matt Maranowski had a nice video about ceramic coating.

B&B likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate your quick replies and recommendations.
I'll be looking for shops in my area that can apply the ceramic coating because it is exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks again, bobg1726
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 AM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00040
If you plan on tracking your car, I would highly recommend a PPF (film protection like expel) to keep from getting your front end damaged with fine rock chips. If your are not tracking the car a ceramic coating makes it shine.
JackDW - 852 and B&B like this.

Dave DHG#00040 - Front Chin Spoiler, MGW, Fog Lights, Retro Rings, Drilled and Sloted Rotors and Ceramic Performance Pads, Russell Steel Brake Lines,
Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, MAC Prochamber, 3.73 Ford Racing Gears, JLT CAI, Ford Aluminum Drive Shaft
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bullitt 40 for your comments. I won't be tracking my car but I'm interested in protecting the front-end from chips caused by stones, rocks, insects, etc.. from normal driving. I guess PPF is what I should be considering. Thanks again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 04:00 PM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 02734
Quote:
Originally Posted by GainingAltitude View Post
I looked into it. I'm told that eventually, the sun will turn the film yellow, and if examined closely, you'd be able to see it. I went with the ceramic coating. They coated everything from trim to wheels and should be good for at least 5 years. It costed about $1400 with window tinting included

That is not a true statement in regards to the leaders in Paint Protection Films (PPF) lineup of current offerings. The yellowing may still exist on the lesser valued brands but it is warranted against and long has not been an issue on the better ones in the market. Iíve put PPF on every vehicle Iíve owned for many years and did so on my 2019 Bullitt too. Even along with Ceramic Coating (applied over top of the PPF). I highly recommend doing both, but especially the PPF in the sensitive areas such as hood, leading edge of the fenders, rocker panels, door handle cups and the headlights and fog light/turn signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullitt 40 and B&B like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2734 50,000kms (not miles) | 2019 DHG on order! | 2018 F150 Lariat FX4
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 05:13 PM

After researching this topic when I got mine, I ended putting up Expel on whole vehicle. Partial coating may not be the right thing. You can still get scratches from opened doors and the PPF would also UV protect your color.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
I have Xpel on my '19 and it's the 3rd car on which I've had it installed. A previous car I owned for 10 years and the film still looked great after all that time. There were a few spots down low on the fascia where the edges were just beginning to slightly lose adhesion but very small areas. Having been around a bunch of recent Ford products I feel the paint is not as durable as paints from years ago. It seems to stone chip easier. It seems more brittle for lack of a better term. Maybe a result of cost cutting. Ceramic coatings won't provide good chip or scratch protection. What I also like about the film is that on the front of the car where you get bugs, tar and other road crap, you can really bear down on the film to clean all that off. You can be more aggressive cleaning that than you might otherwise want to on the paint itself. Inevitably without film the front of the car is going to get stone chips and such. No way to avoid it if you're driving frequently. So without film it's either budget for touch up at some point or live with chips and scratches. The film if it gets a slight mark kind of heals itself or can be waxed or hit with a heat gun to correct small imperfections. The film can also be removed down the road or repaired.

On the Mustang the installer did the front fascia, leading edge of hood up to and around the vents, leading edge of fenders, headlights, back side of mirrors, back side of wheel openings down low, rockers and along the top of rear fascia just below trunk closure. I paid about $850 for that. If you don't get wax buildup at the edge of the film where it meets the paint you can't see it at all unless you're looking for it. Big fan of the product.

When I sold my previous 2 cars that had the treatment, both had original paint, the front of the cars was almost like new and the buyers appreciated that the cars looked so good and were protected. A good investment IMO.
tossass4370 and B&B like this.

Last edited by #94; 05-13-2020 at 10:04 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who furnished your comments. bobg1726
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 05:43 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 7979
Garage
Bought a Bullitt yesterday, 100 miles out of state/town. When coming back, a dump truck leaking what looked like sand pulled up ahead of me, and by the time I realized it was freaking gravel, it was too late. Sounded horrible, so I expect to find significant paint damage after washing the car. At least the windshield wasn't cracked, but it also should have damage. I could slow down to about 60, but it wasn't enough to avoid damage.

Depending on how severe the damage is, if I consider installing PPF. If paint is already f***ed up, then I'd save that money and at some point repaint the bumper, if needed. And yes, I know aftermarket paint never holds up like factory (it chips much easier, in my experience). If somebody here has a touch-up paint recommendation (preferably spray paint), I'd greatly appreciate that.

By the way, if I do PPF, it'd be a full front, A-pillars, and under rockers... although I think they're plastic on the Bullitt, except at the rear, no? Need to check. But about how much does that job cost? I know it changes, but want an idea. Need to find out who could do it locally. Thank you.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:54 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1011
Garage
I have 3M film on my Bumper Hood (first 6") and fender corners. Going on 7 yrs no yellow still looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200517_122225.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	73599  

HR Cams/BBK UDP's/UPR LCA's SCT 3 91 Tune 302RWHP/311TQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:48 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 7979
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I ended putting up Expel on whole vehicle.
Hey, may I ask you how much did you pay, and where? Just curious how difficult is to wrap our car. I'd probably just do a full front, but curious what you paid for the whole car. You typically do that only on exotics, hence my question .

PPF getting yellow will never be an issue if car is garaged. And even if it's not, some of the best films take a long time to do that anyway. But some films are better than others in the intense heat. Here in the desert southwest, shops prefer Suntek over Expel. And that's what I got on the Corvette and Porsche. Oh, and I learned the hard way that you CANNOT leave bugs on the damn PPF when traveling. I didn't wash the car during a trip, and the acid on the bugs' crap got embedded into the film. Couldn't get it out even with a strong polish. So that's the other downside for me. It's obviously more vulnerable than paint, and if you don't plan to wash your car after every leg of a trip (especially when it's hot), think about that twice. At least wash off the bugs from the front, which is what messes up the film. Only way to remove that crap would be doing a 'paint correction' on the PPF.

Finally, I went the paint correction way plus ceramic coating on my last Porsche, and regretted it. First of all, the guy went too deep in a couple of spots, basically removing the entire clear coat. And even if that doesn't happen, that leaves it too thin IMO, and more prone to damage. I don't plan to ever do a paint correction again. With PPF, there's no real need to do that IMO. I use my cars, so that kind of show thing is a waste of money for me. Did it once, and it turned into damage to the vehicle, and for only a little visual improvement nobody pays attention to, so won't do it again. If anything, just PPF.

2019 Bullitt DHG K7979, MagneRide, Electronics package, Car cover, BlendMount/MirrorTap V1 mount, 61148BCX black Gorilla lug nuts, Steeda full jacking rails, OEM rubber floor mats (4), OEM rubber trunk mat, OEM dual horns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode