Do '19 Bullitts really need an oil separator? If yes, which one do you have? :) - IMBOC
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony Alonso
  • 1 Post By Iceman62
  • 1 Post By Zeder
  • 1 Post By Tony Alonso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 7979
Garage
Do '19 Bullitts really need an oil separator? If yes, which one do you have? :)

Hey gang, wondering if it's necessary to add that expensive 'mod' to our cars. My car's PCV valve is making a rattling noise, meaning it's defective. My departed 2018 F-150 Platinum (3.5EB) had the same PCV as the Bullitt, and it started rattling at 12K miles. Replaced it, and silent again. Have 2 on order for the Bullitt. Removed the hose, inserted a finger, and it was oily inside, with about 300 miles on the clock. The one on the driver's side had minimal oily feel.

If there's a need for one, I want it to look OEM, or as close a possible. Found 2 choices.

1. The Ford Performance one, but it has to be the M-6766-A50A (the A50 doesn't fit 2019s). And my car has a harness the Ford installation sheet doesn't show, so not sure if it'd fit or not. The hose doesn't fit perfectly either, because the GT350 intake has the inlet at a different angle and it's deeper inside, so you have to stress that hose quite a bit. Plus the reservoir is very small; Ford doesn't even mention how many ounces it holds, but I'd say 1. Cheapest price I found is $160 here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...ibanner=SREPD2 . And here are the Ford instructions: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6766-A50A.PDF . There's one for the GT350 driver's side too, but it wouldn't fit our cars anyway: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6766-A50S.PDF . Plus no way I'd spend over $300 in that crap. Ha ha.

2. The second OEM looking choice is a bit more expensive at $200 (satin), or $220 (black), but probably the best fit, and least clutter. I checked my car, and I'd drain it without removing that cover for sure: https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil-...20/p/OILSEP87/

3. This is the best seller, I think, but for the same reason I mentioned on #1, it can't be installed in the Bullitt like the video shows, so the can would be resting at an angle over the head cover.

Bottom line is the #2 seems to be the best choice for the OCD type like me. Ha ha. But let's hear what you guys think . Thank you.
JC

2019 Bullitt DHG K7979, MagneRide, Electronics package, Car cover, BlendMount/MirrorTap V1 mount, 61148BCX black Gorilla lug nuts, Steeda full jacking rails, OEM rubber floor mats (4), OEM rubber trunk mat, OEM dual horns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 PM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
I see a lot of S550 owners who use these, and I understand the rationale. An engineer buddy of mine who works on engines said in his estimation that it is not really necessary, given normal driving. I won't pretend to understand the full implications of their use on engine longevity, but since this current 5.0L comes with both DI and PI systems, it seems logical to me that a big reason to have one is reduced.

That said, I think people like the UPR one in terms of its capacity and how it mounts.
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Garage
Yeah, I figured us 'old farts' (ha ha), don't really need one. I'm debating if I want to clutter my engine anymore than it already is without a real need. Also worth mentioning is the PCV valves on our engines (the same as in trucks), are prone to failure. And the way to know is when they rattle at idle. Mine was rattling when I picked the car up. Dealer didn't have any, and since I bought it out of town, just ordered a couple, and replaced it yesterday. No more rattling, so engine is as quiet as I've heard them (hope it stays that way ). Weird that it failed in 60+ miles; it probably was defective. At any rate, now it should allow less oil into the engine. There's no way to know if we actually need a catch can unless our engine consumes oil. Yes, it could be other things, but if it doesn't, then no need to do anything. Furthermore, it only makes sense that the engine is going to consume more oil when driven hard, and since I don't plan to do that often, I might be okay without a can. I'll monitor oil consumption, and go from there. But if I feel that I need one, would buy the UPR one for sure. Even 2018+ GT owners are b*tching about that FP can, so it'd be even worse for us, with a different intake that has the inlet deeper (and at an angle) into the engine than regular GTs, meaning the 'can' sits at an angle too. With so little capacity, that can't be good, so when I saw the picture of one (the 'A' version) on a Bullitt, I immediately eliminated it from consideration. Hope my car is not an oil drinker .

2019 Bullitt DHG K7979, MagneRide, Electronics package, Car cover, BlendMount/MirrorTap V1 mount, 61148BCX black Gorilla lug nuts, Steeda full jacking rails, OEM rubber floor mats (4), OEM rubber trunk mat, OEM dual horns

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6005
Garage
My son & I have JLT's on our 'Stang's (his '16 GT & my '09 Bullitt) - pretty much full per oil change window so I'd say it's worth the added cost to reduce gunkinge top-end of your $pendy motor.
bullit4404 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 1970 302 Boss ( deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), - 1969 Mach-1 (Sold
), -1982 Ghia ( Sold
) +2009 DHG Bullitt #6005 (
) USAF, Retired (MSgt)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3033
Iím wondering if the JLT will fit the 19 Bullitt without any issues as different intakes?

DHG 19 #3033.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Garage
I saw a picture of one on a Bullitt, and it was hitting the head cover a little bit, which inclined the can a little bit, which is a deal-breaker for me, so I eliminated it from consideration. Unless I see a photo from a member that refutes that, I wouldn't consider it. I decided on the UPR because it's tucked away, and has more than twice the capacity of the next largest (the JLT, with 3oz vs , for extra piece of mind.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4419
Hey All,
Just wanted to pipe in here. I installed the JLT Catch can on my 19 Bullitt shortly after I brought here home. Mine installed beautifully, not rubbing on anything. I don't have a picture of it installed, but if you really need it, I could take one and post it for you.
I have about 10,200 miles on my car and have changed the oil 4 times. Each time I have drained about 2 tbl.spoons of brown gunk each time. I like it and am very happy with mine. Probably not required but I'm glad I installed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bashur's.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	73627  
tossass4370 likes this.

What a long, strange trip it's been. J. Garcia
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeder View Post
Hey All,
Just wanted to pipe in here. I installed the JLT Catch can on my 19 Bullitt shortly after I brought here home. Mine installed beautifully, not rubbing on anything. I don't have a picture of it installed, but if you really need it, I could take one and post it for you.
I have about 10,200 miles on my car and have changed the oil 4 times. Each time I have drained about 2 tbl.spoons of brown gunk each time. I like it and am very happy with mine. Probably not required but I'm glad I installed it.

Hi, Zeder!! Hope your car is motoring along!!
tossass4370 likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: Other
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
How much was the catch can?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode