Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

K&N Filter Element Replacement?

8K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Zeder 
#1 ·
I know the Bullitt is still really NEW and not many people have them yet. But I was thinking about changing out my Factory Open Air Conical Filter with a K&N Style.
I haven't taken my Air Filter off yet to measure it but has anyone done that yet? Has anyone replaced theirs with a K&N Filter Element? What is the diameter? I will probably take some measurements this weekend and see if I can find a replacement because I know the Factory one will need to be replaced periodically.

#2 ·
Honestly, is it worth the cost??? Will you be the fastest BULLITT in town with this filter. I just replaced my factory filter on my 09 with another factory filter for $32.00.

I read there's good news and bad news on K&N......better air flow, less filtering. I also read that you must be very careful with cleaning and re-oiling. Too much oil...…..bad for air sensor.

Personal preference IMHO!

ARMY TC

#3 ·
I'm with Army on this one, for the reasons he gave. Just used the last Ford racing replacement filter I had on the garage shelf, so ordered 2 replacements from CJ Pony parts.

Also, years ago, a Porsche Club tech guru compared K&N to factory filters...on a flow bench and dyno. Results were near zero horsepower gain.

Since I change air filters so seldom, the cost wasn't really a factor in my decision.

#4 ·
Anecdotally, I haven't seen too many filters offer measurable, dramatic differences in air flow such that you would notice a huge difference in seat-of-the-pants feel on Mustangs in this current generation. Yes, right now it's too early to know precisely how an aftermarket filter might impact performance. I do agree that you might eliminate the need to change them, but I also have heard more stories about drivability issues from people not cleaning them properly.

That said, I have used K&N filters in the past on cars. I just have not used them for the last 3 generations of Mustang I've owned.

Reactions: bullit4404
#6 ·
Interestingly, Ford Performance Parts includes a K&N air filter with their 2011-2014 Mustang GT Power Pack, that I have on my 2014 GT/CS:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR1-MGTB

The package also includes GT500 mufflers, ProCal tune and a Ford Racing oi filter. I have not noticed any detrimental effects on the MAF sensor. However, I took the expensive route and replaced the original K&N filter with a new one when the time came. I've used K&N air filters off and on for years, and re-oiling them can be tricky -- hence my decision to replace the one provided by Ford with a new one. I don't know why Ford elected to include a K&N air filter in the 2011-2014 Power Pack -- but I don't think I'd put one on a new 2019 Bullitt...

#8 ·
I have not noticed any detrimental effects on the MAF sensor. However, I took the expensive route and replaced the original K&N filter with a new one when the time came. I've used K&N air filters off and on for years, and re-oiling them can be tricky -- hence my decision to replace the one provided by Ford with a new one.

If I were to use a K&N filter, I would do the same as you and simply replace it.

#7 ·
Yes, I've installed that power pack, works well. When the K&N are on sale they are about the same price as a factory filter. I had an oil bath air cleaner on my 1954 VW. Worked like a charm, but no electronics to mess up. It's a bad re-oil that usually causes issues.

#10 ·
Not sure why you want to do this. Really not much, if any, performance gain. You give up a little filtering effectiveness for the ability to clean it. If I were going that route, I would check with Green Filters. May not have one for the '19 yet but when they do, it will look much better on the DHG Bullitt.

#11 ·
I changed the original filter out on my '08 after a mouse chewed on it and replaced it with a K&N. I had drag strip timeslips immediately before and after and the results were not measurable in terms of mph differences. I actually ended up going back to a factory air cleaner because the fit was significantly better (there wasn't a Bullitt specific one at the time). It never made any difference in mph no matter which filter was on the car. It's a little off subject, but the only bump in mph I've had that wasn't due to altitude conditions was when I replaced the stock driveshaft with an aluminum one. It consistently raised the trap speed mph by about 1 relative to the stock piece. Anyway, I'd put money on it that the results for the '19 will be virtually identical to mine. The only increase in horsepower will be due to the placebo effect. There's nothing wrong with a K&N and if you like the look better then by all means do it, but don't expect a horsepower gain.

This reminds me - I need to check the filter on my '09 Focus. I put a K&N on it (stock replacement panel) with a little over 35k miles and it's currently at 199k and has never been washed. MPG has been consistent throughout the life of the car, except for the approximate 1mpg gain when I lowered it 1.5" with the Ford Racing suspension kit.

Talking about oil bath air cleaner - my dad put one on his old F250 back in the 80's after he dropped a rebuilt '67 390GT out of a Mercury Cyclone in it. You couldn't floor it because it would splash oil in the carburetor and fog everything. It got changed to a paper element (and later K&N) pretty quickly.

#16 ·
I have been using the K&N Blackhawk Induction system on my last 3 Coyote 5.0L F150s and it comes with a really nice synthetic air filter. Black in colour. Wash, dry and go. Painless and oil-free.

I'll be measuring mine up to see if it is same size as the one in the new Bullitt.

Sent from my BB KEY2 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Thanks Mark.

You may be the first to "go down that road" for a '19. I remember when the 08 first came out, someone on this site (don't remember who) contacted Green Filters and that started the development of the Green Filter for the 08/09.

Hopefully the will develop a green filter for the '19 giving another option for replacements in the future.

#22 ·
Green Filter finally got back to me with a part number 7121, however this does not even show up on their site, so far they have been less than helpful, maybe they have all the business they need. I even gave him the K&N part number for the direct replacement as well as the Ford number FA1922.

BTW the K&N direct replacement filter number is E-0649. If you go to the K&N site and do the cross reference it shows it is a direct replacement for the Ford FA1922. Do NOT use the K&N application for the 2019 BULLITT, it is incorrect, the correct one is E-0649. The application for that number is: 2018 Shelby 5.2l, which as we all know the BULLITT has the Shelby intake system.

I will keep trying with Green Filter but hey are just not customer friendly.

Hope this helps you all.

Thanks,

Mark K0184

#29 ·
All, The Green Filter OE filter replacement finally arrived this week. The part number is 7363, It will be available for purchase on Monday (3/4) on eBay, I will attach the link once he sends it to me, but I am sure you'all will be able to find it. I do not know the cost. It will also be available directly from Green Filter but as of this post it is not listed on their web-site so a phone call will be required. See photos on Green Filter Replacement thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.