K&N Filter Element Replacement? - IMBOC
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0340
K&N Filter Element Replacement?

I know the Bullitt is still really NEW and not many people have them yet. But I was thinking about changing out my Factory Open Air Conical Filter with a K&N Style.
I haven't taken my Air Filter off yet to measure it but has anyone done that yet? Has anyone replaced theirs with a K&N Filter Element? What is the diameter? I will probably take some measurements this weekend and see if I can find a replacement because I know the Factory one will need to be replaced periodically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6498
Honestly, is it worth the cost??? Will you be the fastest BULLITT in town with this filter. I just replaced my factory filter on my 09 with another factory filter for $32.00.

I read there's good news and bad news on K&N......better air flow, less filtering. I also read that you must be very careful with cleaning and re-oiling. Too much oil.....bad for air sensor.

Personal preference IMHO!

ARMY TC
pwd72s, bullit4404 and Matt Maran like this.

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
I'm with Army on this one, for the reasons he gave. Just used the last Ford racing replacement filter I had on the garage shelf, so ordered 2 replacements from CJ Pony parts.

Also, years ago, a Porsche Club tech guru compared K&N to factory filters...on a flow bench and dyno. Results were near zero horsepower gain.

Since I change air filters so seldom, the cost wasn't really a factor in my decision.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Anecdotally, I haven't seen too many filters offer measurable, dramatic differences in air flow such that you would notice a huge difference in seat-of-the-pants feel on Mustangs in this current generation. Yes, right now it's too early to know precisely how an aftermarket filter might impact performance. I do agree that you might eliminate the need to change them, but I also have heard more stories about drivability issues from people not cleaning them properly.

That said, I have used K&N filters in the past on cars. I just have not used them for the last 3 generations of Mustang I've owned.
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
If oil gets on the mass air flow sensor, MAF, it's not a good thing.
pwd72s and 73Mach1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:05 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0000
Interestingly, Ford Performance Parts includes a K&N air filter with their 2011-2014 Mustang GT Power Pack, that I have on my 2014 GT/CS:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR1-MGTB

The package also includes GT500 mufflers, ProCal tune and a Ford Racing oi filter. I have not noticed any detrimental effects on the MAF sensor. However, I took the expensive route and replaced the original K&N filter with a new one when the time came. I've used K&N air filters off and on for years, and re-oiling them can be tricky -- hence my decision to replace the one provided by Ford with a new one. I don't know why Ford elected to include a K&N air filter in the 2011-2014 Power Pack -- but I don't think I'd put one on a new 2019 Bullitt...
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Yes, I've installed that power pack, works well. When the K&N are on sale they are about the same price as a factory filter. I had an oil bath air cleaner on my 1954 VW. Worked like a charm, but no electronics to mess up. It's a bad re-oil that usually causes issues.
pwd72s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mach1 View Post
I have not noticed any detrimental effects on the MAF sensor. However, I took the expensive route and replaced the original K&N filter with a new one when the time came. I've used K&N air filters off and on for years, and re-oiling them can be tricky -- hence my decision to replace the one provided by Ford with a new one.

If I were to use a K&N filter, I would do the same as you and simply replace it.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mach1 View Post
Interestingly, Ford Performance Parts includes a K&N air filter with their 2011-2014 Mustang GT Power Pack, that I have on my 2014 GT/CS:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR1-MGTB

The package also includes GT500 mufflers, ProCal tune and a Ford Racing oi filter. I have not noticed any detrimental effects on the MAF sensor. However, I took the expensive route and replaced the original K&N filter with a new one when the time came. I've used K&N air filters off and on for years, and re-oiling them can be tricky -- hence my decision to replace the one provided by Ford with a new one. I don't know why Ford elected to include a K&N air filter in the 2011-2014 Power Pack -- but I don't think I'd put one on a new 2019 Bullitt...

Didn't know ford did that. Maybe Ford figured the K&N filtered well enough to get the car through warranty...or maybe the different tune, even though offered by Ford, voided the warranty?

Yes, very curious...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:59 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Not sure why you want to do this. Really not much, if any, performance gain. You give up a little filtering effectiveness for the ability to clean it. If I were going that route, I would check with Green Filters. May not have one for the '19 yet but when they do, it will look much better on the DHG Bullitt.
tossass4370 and bullit4404 like this.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
I changed the original filter out on my '08 after a mouse chewed on it and replaced it with a K&N. I had drag strip timeslips immediately before and after and the results were not measurable in terms of mph differences. I actually ended up going back to a factory air cleaner because the fit was significantly better (there wasn't a Bullitt specific one at the time). It never made any difference in mph no matter which filter was on the car. It's a little off subject, but the only bump in mph I've had that wasn't due to altitude conditions was when I replaced the stock driveshaft with an aluminum one. It consistently raised the trap speed mph by about 1 relative to the stock piece. Anyway, I'd put money on it that the results for the '19 will be virtually identical to mine. The only increase in horsepower will be due to the placebo effect. There's nothing wrong with a K&N and if you like the look better then by all means do it, but don't expect a horsepower gain.

This reminds me - I need to check the filter on my '09 Focus. I put a K&N on it (stock replacement panel) with a little over 35k miles and it's currently at 199k and has never been washed. MPG has been consistent throughout the life of the car, except for the approximate 1mpg gain when I lowered it 1.5" with the Ford Racing suspension kit.

Talking about oil bath air cleaner - my dad put one on his old F250 back in the 80's after he dropped a rebuilt '67 390GT out of a Mercury Cyclone in it. You couldn't floor it because it would splash oil in the carburetor and fog everything. It got changed to a paper element (and later K&N) pretty quickly.

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 3122
Garage
When I cleaned my K&N air filter then re-oiled it, I left it out in the sun on a pile of newspapers to drain and soak up any excess oil. Haven't had any problems with it, but the green ones do look better.
bullit4404 likes this.

--
I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability.
-Ron White
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I know the Bullitt is still really NEW and not many people have them yet. But I was thinking about changing out my Factory Open Air Conical Filter with a K&N Style.
I haven't taken my Air Filter off yet to measure it but has anyone done that yet? Has anyone replaced theirs with a K&N Filter Element? What is the diameter? I will probably take some measurements this weekend and see if I can find a replacement because I know the Factory one will need to be replaced periodically.
No verification from K&N, but go to the K&N site and look up a 2018 Shelby. Certainly looks like the same filter to me.
pwd72s likes this.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
I've been running K&N oil and air filters for years, not because I get any type of horsepower gain but they are better than regular ones. As for oiling the air filter I have never done that.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 PM

Super BullittHead

I don't know if oil would affect the internals or not but I never liked the idea of having oil where only air is supposed to go in.
Marguerite likes this.

George

Past BULLITTS '68, '01, '08
'19 BULLITT K0538

[SIGPIC]D835HEC[/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode