Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

H Pipe added

14K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  druggs1976 
#1 ·
First post here, reading lots of good info. Thought I would share that I replaced the resonator for an H pipe. I'm coming from a 2013 BOSS 302 and wanted to try and get more of the engine popping and spiting that the BOSS had. It worked, made it snappier.

And I see now I cannot post a video yet. :frown2:

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

#35 ·
Does anyone with the Steeda H-Pipe resonator delete have any weird sound at low speed acceleration ? I don’t know how to describe it but it’s a strange resonance sort of but only at low speed like when just pulling away from the house.

It’s not drone necessarily, I had drone on my 06 GT when I installed Ford Racing (Borla Stinger equivalent) exhaust and this is definitely different than that was.

#36 ·
Not sure if it's the same sound, but a lot of people with Active Exhaust have complained about a low speed, almost "rattling" noise. Someone said theirs turned out to be the spring that opens and closes the butterfly "valve".

I have this sound too with stock exhaust, but not sure if it's the same thing you're hearing.

#37 · (Edited)
I have agonized over putting an H or an X pipe on my Bullitt. Steeda did some comparisons between the two, and they sell both so they have no dog in the hunt either way. The X pipe is clearly superior tot he H pipe in terms of scavenging, and producing more power throughout the curve than the H pipe.

As for sound, to me they both sound good. I can tell that the exhaust sounds smoother with the X pipe. It is easy to tell the exhaust is flowing more freely. I think calling the X pipe with a stock active exhaust as raspy is a little misleading. At higher RPM the X pipe does produce less bass than the H pipe, but even in track mode it does not sound harsh or as if someone were chucking razor blades at you. It has a nice tone (almost GT350 ish), just a bit less bass. Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference in isolation.

#38 ·
All the comments on this mod are really interesting and the cars sound great. Hopefully there is some type of noticeable performance improvement. I have had a number of mustangs over the years and I do believe in mods that make sense. This one is certainly tempting
I have a very low mileage " Sunday Driver " 2019 Bullitt. I have a sort of lame question that no one has mentioned.

Does anyone know if this voids the factory warranty? I also have a Ford Gold Certified warranty beyond the 3 years and I would hate to blow that up as that was not cheap.

#39 ·
Adding an X pipe or H pipe should not void your warranty.

As for performance improvement, the observations I have made from those that have done this modification do not some noticeable improvement, mainly to low end torque, which is something that is somewhat missing from the Coyote's compared to the pushrod V8's from GM & Dodge.

Take a look at this video showing dyno results. The X pipe is the clear winner in terms of performance gain. Also, this modification sheds about 9lbs of weight.

#41 ·
Agreed, not worth the expense of switching.

I am still sitting on the fence. Both sound good to me, the only variance in the two is more treble mostly in the higher RPMS for the X pipe.

The Coyote has a unique sound, and I don't care what exhaust mod is done to it, it will never sound like a big displacement pushrod engine. My 440-6 Plymouth with flowmasters was the pinacle of V8 audible nirvana to me.

#43 ·
Just ordered the Steeda from Summit Racing on sale $199.95 / $80.00 off.
Cars on jack stands in the heated garage for the winter here outside Detroit, probably put the on next weekend after Christmas.
Merry Christmas you Bullitt Heads !