34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
Go back to the dealership and have them address the issue. If they refuse, stand in the show room and tell all potential customers not to buy a vehicle there. I bet they address the issue pretty quick.
bullit4404 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Make sure it's not piston rattle but rather noise from another source. I have a rattling noise I hear under part throttle conditions between 2000-3000RPM, most noticeable in 2nd or 3rd gear when I am driving around town. This is NOT thought to be piston slap but a rattling noise cause by cam phaser system.

Take a look at this thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...tually.115849/
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Make sure it's not piston rattle but rather noise from another source. I have a rattling noise I hear under part throttle conditions between 2000-3000RPM, most noticeable in 2nd or 3rd gear when I am driving around town. This is NOT thought to be piston slap but a rattling noise cause by cam phaser system.

Take a look at this thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...tually.115849/
Interesting but I have some doubt this is the noise I'm hearing as it doesn't sound like a half crankshaft speed noise. I think cam phasers would operate at same speed as camshafts?
bullit4404 likes this.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #94 View Post
Interesting but I have some doubt this is the noise I'm hearing as it doesn't sound like a half crankshaft speed noise. I think cam phasers would operate at same speed as camshafts?

Where and when do you hear the noise? For about a year, people have been talking about the various noises and have divided them into 3 categories -

(1) injector noise that sounds like a tick from a BBQ igniter which is generally heard outside the car, especially with some surface to bounce the sound off of
(2) piston slap that sounds like rattling noise which goes away after warming up
(3) the part throttle rattling noise described in what I posted

People have had engines replaced in the case of (2) because of the cylinder scoring and sometimes in the case of (1). Ford declares (1) as a normal characteristic going back all the way to the first Coyote 5.0L released for model year 2011.

I cannot correlate the noise I hear to the action of the camshafts, only the throttle position and rev range. In the absence of other information from Ford, it seems to fit what I hear. I have had this noise from the time I drove it off the lot back in September, 2018. It hasn't increased in volume or frequency like the other 2 reported noises.
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Thumbs up

Nice differential diagnosis Tony. There is so much going on in these engines and they are much more "mechanical" sounding. My Honda V6, for instance, is very quiet, sounds like a sewing machine until you boot it, then it makes nice induction noises, don't even hear the exhaust.
The new Coyote's have 16 injectors, 8 snappy DI ones, multiple fuel pumps, cam phasers, timing chains with guides and sliders, valve train noises, oil pump action, pistons slipping and slapping, intake noise, exhaust music, accessory noises; like alternators, water pumps, AC clutches, Electric steering motors, fans, etc etc.
Old 4404 makes nice intake and exhaust noises, I've never listened to the sound system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:50 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
The new Coyote's have 16 injectors, 8 snappy DI ones, multiple fuel pumps, cam phasers, timing chains with guides and sliders, valve train noises, oil pump action, pistons slipping and slapping, intake noise, exhaust music, accessory noises; like alternators, water pumps, AC clutches, Electric steering motors, fans, etc etc.

And a partridge in a pear tree...

I have to say I was expecting something when I got the '19, but a couple of folks don't hear the same thing. And the Mustang GTs have the big engine cover to damp out sounds too. I would say that if it was a continuous noise, I would probably be irritated by it.

If the OP is truly experiencing piston slap, then it's definitely something to identified by the dealership.Thanks for sharing your expertise, Pat. It's much appreciated.
bullit4404 and 68Bulit like this.

Tony Alonso
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:12 PM
Supporting Member

Wink

Then there's solenoids, vacumn motors, relays, clutch and gear noises, wiper motors, washer pumps, Magneride switching mechanisms, Torsen squeaks, brake whooshing, and the loose nut behind the steering wheel.
Enjoy the ride, if it blows up, something was wrong.
68Bulit and #94 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:23 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Where and when do you hear the noise? For about a year, people have been talking about the various noises and have divided them into 3 categories -

(1) injector noise that sounds like a tick from a BBQ igniter which is generally heard outside the car, especially with some surface to bounce the sound off of
(2) piston slap that sounds like rattling noise which goes away after warming up
(3) the part throttle rattling noise described in what I posted

People have had engines replaced in the case of (2) because of the cylinder scoring and sometimes in the case of (1). Ford declares (1) as a normal characteristic going back all the way to the first Coyote 5.0L released for model year 2011.

I cannot correlate the noise I hear to the action of the camshafts, only the throttle position and rev range. In the absence of other information from Ford, it seems to fit what I hear. I have had this noise from the time I drove it off the lot back in September, 2018. It hasn't increased in volume or frequency like the other 2 reported noises.
Mine is as you have previously described. Louder when cold, reduced level of noise when warm but still present. Slow cruise in 2nd and 3rd gear between 1500 - 3000 RPM at light and/or steady throttle. It's very throttle sensitive and if you want to cause the engine make the noise you can.

Not stressing over this for now. Will keep an ear on it and deal with it over time if it progresses or engine shows any other signs of abnormal wear. Definitely not an injector sound or a "tick". It's a rattling sound.

Have noticed that turning up the radio volume eliminates it.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Supporting Member

There you go, problem solved!

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #94 View Post
Mine is as you have previously described. Louder when cold, reduced level of noise when warm but still present. Slow cruise in 2nd and 3rd gear between 1500 - 3000 RPM at light and/or steady throttle. It's very throttle sensitive and if you want to cause the engine make the noise you can.

Not stressing over this for now. Will keep an ear on it and deal with it over time if it progresses or engine shows any other signs of abnormal wear. Definitely not an injector sound or a "tick". It's a rattling sound.

Have noticed that turning up the radio volume eliminates it.

Yes, the radio does take care of it

Tony Alonso
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
#1..... Make sure you keep a Ford warranty just in case there are problems in the future. As long as you keep renewing them, you can keep them for a long time. Also, check out what the warranties cover. They now include "Key" coverage which can be used to get one new key per year. Ever priced one of these keys from Ford with programming? Almost pays for the extended warranty by itself.

MUST BE FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY. Not just something sold by a Ford dealership but actual Ford warranty. Most of these "fly by night" warranties are not worth the paper they are printed in. Avoid them!
bullit4404 likes this.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:28 AM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 2349
I hear certain noises as well but I have heard them on the last several I have owned so I have determined it is what it is until it breaks. Drive the hell out of it! That's what they are made for.

And at the end of the day, you can always get rid of it and move onto something else. Hope everything works out!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 AM

Mine started at around 300 miles, and dealers refused to acknowledge it. Now it has fairly severe cylinder wall damage and the dealer that I bought it from is skirting me like a thief in the night. I’m getting noisy and unpleasant with everyone involved now, but I should have gotten more aggressive to begin with.
Demand a boroscope and keep an eye on oil consumption.
I hate to say, but from what you’re saying, you likely have the same problem, and it is common from what I’ve read over the past few months. AND you’re absolutely right, it’s unacceptable!
Don’t do what I did and try to reason it away or let the dealers dance you around. Get serious with them. You gave them a hell of a lot of money.
Best of luck with resolving your situation.
Palerider and bullit4404 like this.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 PM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0373
My car hates the “slow cruise”. At 1500-3000 RPM, how the hell is anyone in 3rd gear? It would be shaking and rattling! At that RPM I am barely out of 1st gear?! I mean my God, rolling on the freeway I never and I mean never, really need to be out of 4th. Until mine does something really weird I will not worry about it. I see so many people babying their cars, it’s crazy. The cars are beasts! I’m not saying to flog them, but Jesus, warm them up and then wind them up!
bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode