42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3607
I have piston rattle

Im very upset, car only has 500 miles and now has the piston rattle, this is completely unacceptable, when you are just driving around normally you have to listen to this annoying rattle instead of the exhaust which is why I bought the car, pure bs Ford, my Boss 302 never made this noise, wish I had it back, love the Bullitt otherwise, dont know what to do, ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Hmmm. Did you see the earlier post here showing bore scope pics of scored cylinder walls? If the dealership won't scope it, try to find a mechanic who can.

https://www.imboc.com/forums/457-19-...ne-rattle.html
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6498
I hear you. Hopefully, the issue will go away or FORD will repair the fault under warranty. When I bought my 2001, the transmission had a grinding sound when the car was cold. After jumping through hoops changing fluids etc, I found out that FORD had a TSB (Technical Support Bulletin) on the issue. My FORD dealer wanted $1500 to repair the transmission. By reading many posts on IMBOC, I wrote Bill Ford and they covered half the cost. It finally cost me $750 to have the transmission rebuilt. This should have been a warranty issue! (BTW....the car had 2000 miles on it when the issue got to the point where something needed repaired. Believe me, the car was never raced!!!!!

Hopefully, your problem will be covered by FORD warranty....if it gets to that point!

ARMY TC

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Go to the dealer and have them document the problem. Go back every week and have them listen to it.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
VIC-TIM, JackDW - 852 and Doheny like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

The problem is Ford has acknowledged this phenomena and says its just a characteristic of this motor and it does not effect the longevity of the engine, so they are claiming
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

SSM 46173 Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle- 3000 RPM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips.

This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore.

This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:03 PM
Supporting Member

Unhappy

I partially agree with you Mark. However, when the engine warms up, a slight to moderate piston slap should quiet down as the piston swells and normalizes. If the persistent noise continues when the engine is at operating temperature, this is not normal and will cause cylinder scuffing and wear the slip coatings off the skirts of the pistons, eventually leading to excessive oil consumption and compression loss.

Part of the issue is that only one size of piston is specified for the engines and tool wear and machine tolerances can result in some engines with a perfect piston/cylinder match and others be sloppy. Add to that, the arc sprayed cylinder coatings, their finishing and honing, and I think that mass producing engines that consistently have excellent fit is a big challenge.
sganow, VIC-TIM, pwd72s and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McAnallen View Post
SSM 46173 Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle- 3000 RPM.

doesn't the gt 350 have the flat plane voodoo motor? different design if so thus not sure the memo would apply to a regular coyote engine.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Supporting Member

Wink

Tim
I love that Voodoo that you do. When it blew oil from the Who who, and it was new new, I may sue you. I love that Voodoo that you do.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 PM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McAnallen View Post

That's a forged piston trait. Your Boss 302 had forged pistons.

I believe Ford uses hypereutectic pistons, and not forged pistons, in the Gen 3 Coyote. Forged pistons have more clearance and are known to make noise until they warm up and "grow" to the correct specification. This doesn't happen with hypereutectic pistons.

You may want to dig for information on the Mustang6G website. You might be the first to report an engine problem with a Bullitt. Sorry for your bad luck.
bullit4404 likes this.

I'm also the custodian of my girlfriend's 2008 HG Bullitt #3915.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0095
Retroman1969 also has an issue with his engine. The "trait" that you're quoting is for the GT350 motor and is completely unrelated to this issue. Some 2018+ coyote motors have a "typewriter tick" that is mild and can be normal. There's also a TSB out for that. But a louder more pronounced sound is usually piston slap or cylinder wall scoring and should be looked at by a dealer. If it's truly so loud that you hear it over the exhaust, your car likely has a bad motor and will be replaced under warranty. The fact that it's happening so early makes me even more confident that's what you're experiencing. So far this is only the 2nd Bullitt with an engine issue this serious, so 2 out of over 4,000 so far seems pretty good. A few have the milder non-detrimental tick, but that's it. Good luck!
sganow and bullit4404 like this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01695
Garage
"Quality is Job One"? For 50K, I would expect better, like 0 out of 4,000 so far. I just can't even fathom why there is any question about who should fix and pay for a problem like this, but unfortunately,the entire auto industry has a reputation for this sort of BS!
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
Mine has the rattle even when warm and did so the moment I drove it off the lot. Both GT's that I drove before buying the Bullitt also sounded the same. I've had 2 vehicles in the past 12 years that have had engines replaced under warranty (1 ford) and in both cases the process was long and slow. Piston issues are more widespread among a lot of manufacturers than one might think. Some just nature of the beast, others more problematic and progress over time and mileage. These things always seem to occur when manufacturers go to new higher tech cool trendy materials in bores and pistons. Remember the Chevy Vega aluminum 4-banger? Innovative, lightweight and complete junk.

For anyone that is concerned (includes me) take your car to dealer for oil changes, report the noise multiple times and have a tech listen to engine in your presence. Also, if you're friendly with the sales side of the dealer, asked used car manager to listen to noise and ask him/her point blank: "if I trade in this car like this will you give me full trade-in value?". They will likely say no if they hear the noise and find it problematic. At that point circle back to service dept.

Now I'm hopeful that this noise doesn't progress and that the engine doesn't wear or begin to consume oil and that there isn't a widespread issue. It's gonna be painful for all involved (including Ford and dealers) if 10's of thousands of engines have to be replaced.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
A little off subject but related. Years ago, my father was going to purchase a work truck. His first new truck, ever. When at the dealership, he advised he wanted a truck with a long bed and manual trans. The salesman pointed to a line of about 30 truck. He told the salesman to "start it up". When the salesman asked which one, the said all of them. We went down the line and just listened to each of the engine running and narrowed it down to two trucks and finally chose one totally based upon the sound of the engine under the hood. When he went to pick up the truck, that was the first time he even noticed what the interior looked like.

Even, way back then, there was vast difference in how the engines were put together. I will guess it may be more critical today with the closer tolerances of the modern engine.

Most people (included me) will pay more attention to color, fit, finish, and options the taking to time to listen under the hood. After all, we have a warranty, provided the dealership/manufacturer is willing to honor it.
pwd72s, bullit4404 and #94 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode