Exhaust Mode Selection Not Available? - Page 2 - IMBOC
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 2700
Thanks for the suggestion but this is happening right after startup and before I do anything. Iím not trying to change drive modes or exhaust mode when this happens.

Having said that, my normal routine was to:
1. Start car
2. Plug in iPhone
3. Fasten seatbelt
4. Change mode to Sport+

Then last week it started displaying the Exhaust Mode Selection Not Available message during my steps 2-3 before i even touched the drive mode toggle switch. I have a dealer appointment on 5/31/19 for an oil change and they said they will assess the exhaust message issue and I also mentioned that the exterior trunk release button above the license plate randomly will not work. Itís very random, only happened three times in the last couple months but I want them to note it for the record.

My thought is that the system runs a check of connectivity to all systems including the muffler valves during startup and if it canít successfully connect it throws up this message. Iíll definitely update here after the appointment though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I think I actually fixed this issue!

I have another thread about starting in another mode and in my search I discovered that although you cant do that automatically, you can start in Sport or Track by going into accessory mode before actually starting the car and then toggle using the switch to the desired mode and then depress the clutch and start up.

I tried this out and went to accessory mode, changed to Track using the toggle switch and then I went to the Pony button on the steering wheel to access the exhaust mode display and it showed that I was in fact in Track mode. I then changed through all the modes, Quiet, Normal etc. I then started the car and did not receive the Exhaust Mode Selection not Available message all day today.

A couple notes on this. With the engine off, if you toggle thru Quiet, Normal, Sport and Track exhaust modes, I can hear the baffle click Close when going to Quiet and then I hear the click Open when going to any other mode from Quiet. I don't hear anything when going from Normal to Sport to Track or vice versa which tells me the baffle probably just moves slightly within those modes and maybe even based on throttle position too possibly?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:36 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
As soon as the aftermarket ECM's are able to be programmed to do away with the active exhaust, I woud opt for an ECM and a Borla ATAK Exhaust.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...t=atak&Tab=SKU

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords4ever View Post
I think I actually fixed this issue!

I have another thread about starting in another mode and in my search I discovered that although you cant do that automatically, you can start in Sport or Track by going into accessory mode before actually starting the car and then toggle using the switch to the desired mode and then depress the clutch and start up.

I tried this out and went to accessory mode, changed to Track using the toggle switch and then I went to the Pony button on the steering wheel to access the exhaust mode display and it showed that I was in fact in Track mode. I then changed through all the modes, Quiet, Normal etc. I then started the car and did not receive the Exhaust Mode Selection not Available message all day today.

A couple notes on this. With the engine off, if you toggle thru Quiet, Normal, Sport and Track exhaust modes, I can hear the baffle click Close when going to Quiet and then I hear the click Open when going to any other mode from Quiet. I don't hear anything when going from Normal to Sport to Track or vice versa which tells me the baffle probably just moves slightly within those modes and maybe even based on throttle position too possibly?

That's a clever way to get what you want! Have you seen this video of the actual operation by mode? Yes, there is programming that affects the opening and closing, and I've heard the engineers say there is custom program specific to the Bullitt to get it to crack and pop more. I do believe you can see in the video where throttle position plays a role in the opening.

If you use "Quiet" mode as part of the time feature, it definitely closes the baffles all the way, but otherwise, when you start the car, it sounds loud. I have assumed that is while the car is warming up and then it switches into the variable performance.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Tony, I did see that but I wasn’t sure if our Ford system works the same as the Borla system in the video. CORRECTION... I actually just noticed the caption at the bottom where it says Ford OE valves.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
As soon as the aftermarket ECM's are able to be programmed to do away with the active exhaust, I woud opt for an ECM and a Borla ATAK Exhaust.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...t=atak&Tab=SKU
I like the active exhaust feature. Iíve been driving in Track a lot recently but sometimes I like to be a little quieter and I like having the options.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Had my appointment today at the dealer and of course because itís not happening they couldnít find anything wrong but the error message has been noted in case it reoccurs.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:28 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords4ever View Post
I like the active exhaust feature. I’ve been driving in Track a lot recently but sometimes I like to be a little quieter and I like having the options.
Sorry, I'm old school. When I drive down the road I want everyone to know it's me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode