• 2 Post By teamlayton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6835
19 Bullitt oil change

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a maintenance fanatic. I've owned a lot of cars From Aston Martin, Corvette's, DeLorean, Mustang, GTO etc. As time passes modern cars have become extremely specific on motor oil compared to older ones. As I recently read in Motor Trend,"The days of pouring 10W-30 in everything are over."

The Gen3 Coyote seems to be pretty specific with it's 5W-20 recommendation for daily use. But the owner's manual does specify a 0W-30 or 5W-30 depending on operating conditions. I'm curious what oil (and filter) everyone else is running and how frequently they're changing their oil. The bottom end of the Bullitt's engine seems identical to the GT so I'd imagine the same maintenance practices work for both. I'm a little concerned about having my selling dealer service the car even though they included free unlimited oil changes for the first year. Most dealer's service department get bulk motor oil delivered in a tanker truck and that can lead to less than ideal product quality.

So How many of you let your dealer service your car? Do your own? What oil are you all running? Not looking to debate oils and weights. Those kinds of things can turn into religious arguments. Just curious how others are approaching this especially with a brand new car and keeping the manufacturer's warranty in mind.
bullit4404 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher P View Post
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a maintenance fanatic. I've owned a lot of cars From Aston Martin, Corvette's, DeLorean, Mustang, GTO etc. As time passes modern cars have become extremely specific on motor oil compared to older ones. As I recently read in Motor Trend,"The days of pouring 10W-30 in everything are over."

The Gen3 Coyote seems to be pretty specific with it's 5W-20 recommendation for daily use. But the owner's manual does specify a 0W-30 or 5W-30 depending on operating conditions. I'm curious what oil (and filter) everyone else is running and how frequently they're changing their oil. The bottom end of the Bullitt's engine seems identical to the GT so I'd imagine the same maintenance practices work for both. I'm a little concerned about having my selling dealer service the car even though they included free unlimited oil changes for the first year. Most dealer's service department get bulk motor oil delivered in a tanker truck and that can lead to less than ideal product quality.

So How many of you let your dealer service your car? Do your own? What oil are you all running? Not looking to debate oils and weights. Those kinds of things can turn into religious arguments. Just curious how others are approaching this especially with a brand new car and keeping the manufacturer's warranty in mind.
Your last sentence explains why I'd suggest dealer service until warranty is gone. Something goes bad, it would be difficult for them to try to blame improper service. But hell, you probably already knew that. You could provide the oil if you have a specific brand preference.
bullit4404 and Christopher P like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
I've used the dealership for oil changes because I don't have the facility to easily get underneath my car. The dealership uses the recommended 5W20 Motorcraft semi-synthetic and oil filter (FL500S). I don't drive it on the track, and my use case for the car is normal driving.

For my understanding and peace of mind, I simply did used oil analysis on my last S550 Mustang (2015 GT). The dealership saved a sample for that purpose. It cost $29 to do that, and I could see what the metal concentrations looked like over time.

I want the service records in a service department's computer system during the warranty period in case there was a need for warranty work.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
I will join in the with the recommendation of letting the dealer service it during the warranty period, especially since you are getting free oil changes. Those 'suckers' take a lot of oil when you change it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6005
Garage
As long as the dealer (1) uses correct oil & filter, (2) doesn't have the lowly service helper change your fluids & (3) doesn't air-wrench the drain plug...you're good. They list what's done/used on service documents so you can double-check & I always test oil drain to ensure (1) it's on tight & (2) not over-tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 1970 302 Boss ( deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), - 1969 Mach-1 (Sold
), -1982 Ghia ( Sold
) +2009 DHG Bullitt #6005 (
) USAF, Retired (MSgt)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:02 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 2023
Motor oil viscosity

Quote:
Hi all,

I switched from 5w-20 to 10w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic, and the engine actually sounds quieter. No noticeable loss of high RPM or anything else. I'm in southern California, where it's rarely cold weather.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:27 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Just a note regarding oil viscosity. These engines use VCT (variable cam timing) and uses oil pressure to control the cam timing.

At long as you go with the Ford recommended viscosity you should not have any issues. I think 10W-30 is the max recommended in warm climates. I have seem some of the oil school type (like me) who tried to run thicker oil and encountered issues with the VCT.

Just a word of warning. Not saying you cannot use something else, just be aware of the impact.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0428
Garage
I use Amsoil products, Engine, trans, rear end. All their products EXCEED all Ford Warranty requirements. Look it up become a prefered customer and you be hooked for life. I have raced Fords. Mustangs for 38 yrs. Their diesel oil is fantastic. The Oil Filters are microfiber and is one of the reasons for extended drain intervals. Read & learn the products really sell themselves.
Mustang Mike
teamlayton likes this.

<
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I changed the oil myself using Amsoil. I cross referanced the oil filter for Fords performace oil filter not the one that came stock from the factory. That filter I find is too small for my likeing. The oil filter does fit on the oil cooler housing and is fully sealed at the gaskit, but the filter housing sticks past a little. I went with the signature series 5W-30 oil , and the extended range filter. Not the 15K filter. Since the manual for the car said I can run 5W-30 oil I went with that for better protection since I dont drive lightly. I store the car in the winter and the car only has 4k miles on it now I will change the oil once a year sice I doubt I will be putting that many miles on it each year to require more changes.
teamlayton likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0452
I had my oil change done at the dealer . . . and will continue to have them done there while the car is under warranty. Like others, I also did an oil analysis and will be keeping the records for historical tracking purposes.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4313
Hi Chris - like you I've always been a bit OTT when it comes to servicing my vehicles, but I think it pays in the long run. With my '19 Bullitt I had it checked as recommended by the dealer at 3000 kms and had the oil and filter changed too. Used Australian oil called Penrite, fully syn and 5W-30. Since then I changed oil and filter at 10K and intend to do it every 5K from here on in, as the car is a keeper. Again like you, I'm a bit circumspect when it comes to using the dealer as they're likely to put their 17 year old apprentice on the job who is probably going to spend more time on his phone than checking exactly 9.5 litres goes in, so use a trusted local mechanic who is also an enthusiast and do the job with him. Well aware some would say this is totally too much, but my '92 Electraglide with nearly 150k on the clock and no issues would suggest fresh oil and filter at least twice as often as recommended is no bad thing. And...oh, and being retired helps!
bullit4404 likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Here are the used oil analysis results for the 2 changes I've done so far with the recommended Motorcraft oil and filter.
bullit4404 and Bob_Cous like this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Supporting Member

I use Amsoil oil 5w30 with a Amsoil filter I do all my own services don't trust my car around others.But I'm lucky my son has a shop and I can put her up on the lift anytime I like.
FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode