Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Camshaft Position Sensor

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ELP_JC 
#1 ·
So Frank is at the Dealer with the 1st real issue so far. I was driving yesterday and noticed a complete dead spot in the acceleration in 2nd gear. Must have been around 2500-3K rpm and I was about half to 3/4 throttle and there was absolutely NO response. I shifted to 3rd and everything seemed normal.

Got in the car about 20 minutes later and saw the Service Engine Soon light. Drove directly home and at one red light the idle seemed a little rough, not crazy rough, but I could feel the engine vibrating a little. I just turned 15K miles and planned to have the oil changed anyway so I took Frank to a nearby dealership this morning and they said the code was the Camshaft Position Sensor. They had to order the part so I’m without the Bullitt for Christmas :frown2:

Has anyone had this issue?

Brief history:
1st oil change at 3 months/3500 miles
2nd oil change at 6 months/7500 miles and plan to change every 7500 going forward unless the Oil Life Indicator says sooner.
3rd oil change happening on this current visit, 6 months from previous oil change. Indicator showed oil life at 9%

Dealer should have it repaired by Friday or Monday at the latest. I’ll update when I learn more.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are 4 camshaft sensors, I believe, in that engine, intake and exhaust, both sides. They live in a hostile environment, hot and oily, and usually fail early on or last a long time. Hopefully they will sort it out and get "Frank" back on his wheels.

#3 ·
I finally got the car back last Saturday but haven't had a chance to update here till today. The dealer had the car for almost 2 weeks but that included both Christmas and New Years holidays so I kind of understand why it might have taken a little extra time.

Having said that here's how it went:

Took car into dealer on Monday 12/23/19 for a CEL showing. Was told that day the code was for a camshaft position sensor and they didn't have the part, would probably be Thursday or Friday after Christmas. Then the next week I was told it was also a crankshaft position sensor and they had to wait for that part too.

Finally on Saturday 1/4/20 the car was ready to pick up. My paperwork only showed the P0345 Crank sensor and that's also the only part listed as replaced as well. I asked the service advisor why it didn't list the any of the other parts since they claimed they were waiting twice for two or more different parts and he said "Oh we just took care of those" which doesn't really make sense since it was all warranty and would have been covered anyway. I'm guessing they might have misdiagnosed it originally and only had to replace the Crank Sensor after all but who knows

I've had Frank back for a week now and it's running perfect.

Because of the CEL I went to a dealer closer to my home instead of the dealer I purchased from and I think if there's a next time I would go back to my selling dealer whom I've always had great service from. Also don't get me wrong, the servicing dealer was very nice and appreciated my patience so it wasn't a bad experience per se.

#4 ·
Glad to hear your car is back to health :). By the way, there're only TWO camshaft position sensors, they cost less than $30 retail, and it takes basically a minute to replace, so if it ever happens to my car, I'd just replace it myself :D. Take care. And yes, I avoid dealers like the plague, and for good reason. It'd take a lot more than that for me to be forced to take my car to one. Ha ha. Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.