Since I don't see any others posted up yet:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Thanks for posting. I have seen the video before and it really concerns me. 3.5 miles on a new Bullitt, yet the Video shows them turning the engine to 8K. I am just old school and the engine should have a few hundred miles (preferably much more) on it before turning it that much. Even the race engines we built were broken in on an engine stand before putting in the car and those engines were build loose.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDW - 852 View Post
Thanks for posting. I have seen the video before and it really concerns me. 3.5 miles on a new Bullitt, yet the Video shows them turning the engine to 8K. I am just old school and the engine should have a few hundred miles (preferably much more) on it before turning it that much. Even the race engines we built were broken in on an engine stand before putting in the car and those engines were build loose.
I wouldn't be surprised if most engines actually have some time on them before they were actually installed today. Personally I rarely follow the "break in" past a couple hundred miles and I've yet to see any issue do to it. Could it possibly mean I'll need a rebuild at 250k instead of 300k? Sure, but that would be hard to trace back to break in. That said I'd not take it to 8k.

I'd assume Steeda would know more than we would as they tend to work more closely with Ford.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:29 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
First, this is my opinion only. Based upon no facts whatsoever.

I think the magic time is following the first oil change. When an engine is first assembled, there is "break in" oil in the engine. Note, it is not really a different oil, as such, but high quality oil and when first started, it will wash the assembly lube off the parts and that creates 'break-in" oil. The "assembly lube" actually contains some abrasive agents that will allow the bearing, rings, cams, etc to wear enough to allow the surfaces it mate. It is during this period that I would take it easy to allow the parts to "mate" to each other.

Once you do your first oil change, that is when the "super" slick non-friction oil starts being used. At this point all surfaces will be mated and very little (if any) wear should be expected from that point forward. So conserve driving at that point will have little, if any, impact of the engine. If step one (break-in) was not complete, the engine may always use oil or make some strange ticking sounds since things did not totally "break in".

The same thing was true with the race engines. We ran them on an engine stand for the initial break-in and then changed it oil. I can tell stories (I am sure Pat can also share similar stories) where we were running late and stuck the new engine directly into the race car. Then, drive the car a few miles on the street to get it broke in and loaded in on the trailer. Some people loved seeing that race car coming down the road (including a couple of cops we knew) and some people hated it. Just the fun and games from way back then. I doubt it is done that way today.
sganow, pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Good post Jack. We used to run the Trans Am car up and down the service road next to the QEW highway in Burlington Ontario. The speed limit is 100 KPH on the QEW. The look on people's faces when you'd blow by them on the service road was hilarious.
The cops were pretty good about it since it was an industrial area. In fact they'd drop by Wednesday night when the Boss bought pizza for everybody. Donuts and pizza, cops love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode