• 3 Post By Tony Alonso
  • 2 Post By sganow
  • 3 Post By Steve68Cougar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Bullitt Year: 19
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1829
What Type of Oil Comes Stock in the 2019 Bullitt?

My 2019 Bullitt has about 40% oil life left (I have about 6,000 miles on the car) and the oil level is just below the minimum oil level on the dip stick. So I need to add oil. I check the manual and it SAE 5W-30 but the oil cap under the hood of my Bullitt says SAE 5W-20. I want to top off the oil with the same oil that is in the engine but based on the difference between the manual and the oil cap I don't what kind of oil I'm actually running. Any idea what the stock engine oil would be and why the manual is saying 5W-30?

My dealer says the first oil change is on them, so maybe I'll just opt to get that done now so I know EXACTLY what's in the engine.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
bullit4404 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Chances are the dealer has bulk containers of 5W20 semi synthetic, major brand like Castrol or Penzoil or you can buy the quarts of Ford Motorcraft oil from the parts department. 5W30 is the severe duty or track use grade. In the mean time top up your oil with Ford 5W20.
Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 PM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Shadow Black
I'd suggest you change the oil. The important thing is to keep the dirt and unburned fuel from accumulating in the oil. More frequent changes help. These engines use port and direct injection, mentioned in this video.

Do some other searching/reading on the subject. You'll likely decide to change it sooner than every 6K miles.
bullit4404 likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #94 View Post

Do some other searching/reading on the subject. You'll likely decide to change it sooner than every 6K miles.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that for this particular engine, especially since it has both DI and PI systems. I will watch your video above to understand the general principles I think you are raising here. This engine has 10 quarts of oil so at first glance it seems excessive to change earlier than that.
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Super BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
I haven't seen anything that suggests that for this particular engine, especially since it has both DI and PI systems. I will watch your video above to understand the general principles I think you are raising here. This engine has 10 quarts of oil so at first glance it seems excessive to change earlier than that.
The video just introduces the topic, doesn't go into a lot of detail. To each their own, but the feedback I'm getting from auto engineers and repair shop owners that work on a lot of the more modern higher performance cars is that the longer drain oil change intervals are contributing to more wear and failure than they've seen in the past. There are people within the big 3 automakers that will say over a beer or while eating a pizza that they disagree with the manufacturers extending the oil change intervals as they have in more recent years due to the buildup of contaminants in the oil over more miles. It's not the oil breaking down, it's what builds up in it. One friend who runs a high end german car shop and one who I would describe as a "BMW fanboy" referred to recent BMW engines as "throwaway trash" and said they are doing more heavy engine repair than ever and he feels it's due to the manufacturers pushing the envelope on compression and all of the electronic controls needed to achieve performance, economy and emissions. Of course we are talking Fords here so maybe we're in better shape than the BMW folks .

I'm gonna hedge on the side of caution and change the oil in the '19 every 5K miles.
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
In the early 3.5 L twin turbo F-150's, they were getting timing chain failures, due in part to fatigued oil. Let's see what Tony's oil analysis looks like when he gets his first change. I know it's a lot of oil, but I'm with #94, I'd use the severe service interval of 5000 miles or once a year minimum.
And, these oil % reminders don't impress me. I drove my Honda for a year and it said I still had 40% left till a change was required. Granted, I only drive it maybe 5000 miles a year, but it was DIRTY when I changed it.
What's Greg been doing, he's got 10,000 miles on his car already?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
To each their own, but the feedback I'm getting from auto engineers and repair shop owners that work on a lot of the more modern higher performance cars is that the longer drain oil change intervals are contributing to more wear and failure than they've seen in the past. There are people within the big 3 automakers that will say over a beer or while eating a pizza that they disagree with the manufacturers extending the oil change intervals as they have in more recent years due to the buildup of contaminants in the oil over more miles. It's not the oil breaking down, it's what builds up in it. One friend who runs a high end german car shop and one who I would describe as a "BMW fanboy" referred to recent BMW engines as "throwaway trash" and said they are doing more heavy engine repair than ever and he feels it's due to the manufacturers pushing the envelope on compression and all of the electronic controls needed to achieve performance, economy and emissions. Of course we are talking Fords here so maybe we're in better shape than the BMW folks .

I'm gonna hedge on the side of caution and change the oil in the '19 every 5K miles.

Do you know what wear and failure is being discussed? Also, is it specific metal build-up or the fuel contamination which is referenced in that video? Part of the reason I am a bit skeptical is because of oil analysis I had done on my '15 Mustang GT using 7500 mile intervals. I wasn't seeing results that were concerning in terms of wear or contamination. Of course, that was a PI engine, not the combined DI/PI system of the current engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit4404 View Post
In the early 3.5 L twin turbo F-150's, they were getting timing chain failures, due in part to fatigued oil. Let's see what Tony's oil analysis looks like when he gets his first change. I know it's a lot of oil, but I'm with #94, I'd use the severe service interval of 5000 miles or once a year minimum.
And, these oil % reminders don't impress me. I drove my Honda for a year and it said I still had 40% left till a change was required. Granted, I only drive it maybe 5000 miles a year, but it was DIRTY when I changed it.
What's Greg been doing, he's got 10,000 miles on his car already?

Greg changed at 8000 miles. He said his looked clean. Again, I know you can't go by appearance alone. In his case and mine, we use these more as standard drivers, as opposed to putting them into high performance driving situations. Right now I am at just over 4000 miles and 5 months of usage. I definitely appreciate what #94 and you are saying, and trust me, I don't want my engine to go. At 6 quarts, I would probably still be changing at 5000 miles like I did before. With 10 quarts, I definitely would like to be as data-driven as possible. My personal comfort level is 7500 miles, and I gulped when I went to that for the first time back in 2015 when I had my '15 GT's oil changed at that interval.

Thanks for the discussion.
bullit4404 likes this.

Tony Alonso
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:51 AM

Super BullittHead

Bobistheoilguy.com had an article and detailed study published on oil change intervals. It was written about 10 years ago and doesn't take into account the longer intervals that manufacturers have more recently recommended. Read it last year. Hard to find it on that site. As I recall a lot of the sample data was taken from on average 5K change intervals. It showed that wear rates in the engine did not increase from the first 1000 miles after an oil change to 5000 miles or in some case even longer. He was essentially making the case that going longer than the often recommended 3K miles didn't increase the rate of wear.

However, between oil changes wear does occur and there is an accumulation of more metals, etc in the oil as it gets older. Also filters may become less efficient as they accumulate "dirt" and some oil may then bypass filtration. Bob's study also pointed out that when changing oil, 100% of oil is not drained and the residual oil is somewhat dirty and it will be dirtier if it's in there longer. Also engine internals become dirtier over time themselves.

Any benefit of shorter oil changes is likely realized after many miles are on the engine, years of use rather than when the engine is newer.

Here is an article that speaks to the BMW 15K interval and problems they are having which mirrors what my shop owner friend recently said. What we are posting is opinion stuff as I don't think any of us can claim to be subject matter experts here, but there looks to be a reasonable window. Every 3K miles is likely overkill. Every 10K miles may be pushing it. Harder driving conditions encourage us to change it a little sooner. Ford says 5K miles for their definition of severe and their definition of severe seems rather ordinary so thereabouts is probably good. If we plan to sell our cars, next owner will look favorably on that habit.

https://blog.modbargains.com/15000-m...l-change-myth/
pwd72s and bullit4404 like this.

Last edited by #94; 03-22-2019 at 01:06 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Bobistheoilguy.com had an article and detailed study published on oil change intervals. It was written about 10 years ago and doesn't take into account the longer intervals that manufacturers have more recently recommended. Read it last year. Hard to find it on that site. As I recall a lot of the sample data was taken from on average 5K change intervals. It showed that wear rates in the engine did not increase from the first 1000 miles after an oil change to 5000 miles or in some case even longer. He was essentially making the case that going longer than the often recommended 3K miles didn't increase the rate of wear.

Yes, exactly.

Quote:
However, between oil changes wear does occur and there is an accumulation of more metals, etc in the oil as it gets older. Also filters may become less efficient as they accumulate "dirt" and some oil may then bypass filtration. Bob's study also pointed out that when changing oil, 100% of oil is not drained and the residual oil is somewhat dirty and it will be dirtier if it's in there longer. Also engine internals become dirtier over time themselves.

Any benefit of shorter oil changes is likely realized after many miles are on the engine, years of use rather than when the engine is newer.
Understandable. That's definitely why I did used oil analysis on my '15 GT from the first change at the 7500 mile change interval to about 50000+ miles when I traded it for my '19 Bullitt. I really wanted to see what was going on with the metal concentrations over time and usage. One might consider 50,000 miles and 4 years as "early in the life", of course. If one is wanting to "wash out the break-in metals", I understand why there are many who subscribe to the change it earlier and perhaps more frequently until you get to some threshold, then proceed to regualr, longer intervals.

Quote:
Here is an article that speaks to the BMW 15K interval and problems they are having which mirrors what my shop owner friend recently said. What we are posting is opinion stuff as I don't think any of us can claim to be subject matter experts here, but there looks to be a reasonable window. Every 3K miles is likely overkill. Every 10K miles may be pushing it. Harder driving conditions encourage us to change it a little sooner. Ford says 5K miles for their definition of severe and their definition of severe seems rather ordinary so thereabouts is probably good. If we plan to sell our cars, next owner will look favorably on that habit.

https://blog.modbargains.com/15000-m...l-change-myth/

Yes, 15000 miles (even 10000 miles) trips my "are you kidding me?" trigger, but as you mention, perhaps none of us here can claim to be a subject matter expert. I understand your rationale for 5000, so thank you for the information you provided here.

The biggest variable here, to me, is the PI/DI set-up and its effect on things. That's definitely why I will be doing the used oil analysis again over time.
sganow, bullit4404 and #94 like this.

Tony Alonso

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 03-22-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 05019
On my cars I do the first oil change between 1000-2000 miles, then switch to Mobil 1 and change it every 5000 miles after that. I don't own a car that runs 10 qts of oil, but I would probably still not run much past that 5000 mile interval even though it could surely safely go quite a bit more. If I miss the 5000 mile mark and get closer to 6000, I don't really worry about it. I basically change it as soon as possible after the 5000 mile mark. This is probably overkill but it is what I am comfortable with.
pwd72s and Zeder like this.

TB Bullitt #5019
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
Back when my '08 was new I did the first oil change at 1500 miles and since then it's been 5000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first (1 year has been it for most of it's life). My other vehicles all run Mobil 1 and typically get changed at 7500 miles. I had a '97 Mountaineer that got changed every 10k or so and it's still going untouched with 300k miles. I had another Mountaineer that was sold with 230k miles that was changed every 10-15k miles and still didn't use any oil. My parents are at 275k miles on their 3V 4.6 Explorer with 10k mile oil changes without any internal issues (just a few coils, otherwise untouched). My current '09 Focus is over 200k with 7500 mile oil changes. I had to change the valve cover gasket last year and everything still looks shiny in there, too. I'd be far less inclined to push it that many miles if I wasn't running synthetic. If I had a new Bullitt, I'd probably change every 5000 miles (or once a year) because of the kind of use it would get. If it was just a daily driver with no track time I'd be just fine with 7500 mile oil changes - if not more. Of course, I'd use synthetic either way.

As far as oil weights, I was thinking they said 5W20 should be OK for typical driving duty on the '19, but they recommend 5W30 for severe service and high temperature situations.
bullit4404, #94 and Zeder like this.

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode