• 2 Post By pwd72s
  • 1 Post By Bullitt 736

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Talking Braking news. Quality stops short.

A lot of Bullitheads have been concerned about brake dust. (whining) So here's the skinny on brake pads for your car and tow vehicle. First; don't buy off brand pads, white box pads or pads without SAE ratings. The well known names such as Brembo, EBC, Akebono, Hawk, Wagner, Raybestos, Ferodo and Motorcraft make a line of quality pads, backed up by testing. I personally like Hawk pads, because they publish the temperature ratings and composition of the pad.
Ceramic pads are all the rage because they are lower dust. However, the optimum operating temperature range of Hawk's ceramic composite pad is 100-450 F. These are not ideal for track use. When they get overheated (~650 F) they shed heat to the rotors and become less effective.
The Hawk HPS 5.0 pad ( a fairly new development) is Ferro Carbon, low dust, but it's operating range is 100-550 F with a max of 750 F. This pad can withstand heat soaking and will shed material to maintain friction. Good for street and track.
When it comes to tow vehicles people can be fooled into buying Ceramic pads because they are quiet and low dust. The problem is that if you are towing a 5000 Lb trailer, and driving a 5000 Lb plus truck with luggage and people added, you need the equivalent of a race car pad. The Hawk LTS, Ferro Carbon SUV and light truck pads have an operating range of 100-700 F. absolute, and you will need all of it coming down that long mountain pass.
I am not saying you shouldn't buy a Ceramic composite pad, just know what you are buying and what it's purpose is in life. I use Raybestos "Enhanced hybrid technology" pads, on my Ridgeline, which are ceramic and semi metallic composition. They are not cheap. As I said in the title, "Quality stops short."
A number of years ago we took the old 2011 Coyote to the track wearing a substandard set of brake pads on the front brakes. (The Hawk's were sold out) We were black flagged during the first session because the front brakes were smoking. After letting them cool off we ventured out again, no smoke, but those pads were worn down to the backing plates after the two day event and the rotors were scored. Pads cost $85. The Hawk's were ~$ 150 and would last three weekends. I re-machined the rotors, but they were never as good, heat hardened. So.......... Ask Bill how hot his rotors get at the track?
pwd72s, FarmerDon and TLW1022 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Last edited by bullit4404; 05-29-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:10 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Good info. And yet we constantly see posts by people who think adding go (more power, Scotty!) is more important than whoa. If I were to mod my car, suspension and brake improvements would top the list.
bullit4404 and #94 like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Good point Paul. You need to stop fast to go fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Multiple Bullitts
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00736
The Brembo’s on the ‘19 are awesome. Keep your wheels waxed inside and out. The dust will wash off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bullit4404 likes this.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

That's right, it's just dust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode