Did the movie cars have blacked out tails or not - IMBOC
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Alloy
Did the movie cars have blacked out tails or not

I've been watching the chase over and over, and looking at the pics that are online, and it's really hard to tell with the shadows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trigger | Alloy 2007 Mustang V6 Auto Coupe | FRPP CAI/Brenspeed Tune | Pypes Performance X-pipe/GT Take off Axle Back | 17" Matte Black Bullitt Wheels | Customized Astra Hammond 10467 Quarter Window Louvers | Custom Grille | Rear Deck Chrome Trim | Custom Center Caps | Custom 1968 parking/fog lamps | Poor Man's Shorty Antennae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 AM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03378
The crome around the tail lights were blacked out and the center of the gas cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" No matter where you go, there you are."- Buckaroo Banzai

Original Old Fart
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 AM

You Broke the Server!

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5623
the back up lights were also removed, as well as the pony and bar from the grill and the rocker panels were painted the same as the car. 5623

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3383
Garage
This is a widely debated issue. The person that has done more research on this than probably anyone else, Dave Kunz, says the back panel was not blacked out but sprayed with an anti glare agent which flattened the shine on the paint. This probably darkened the HG paint. The chrome around the tail lights was painted.

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5656
In one part of the movie, it looks almost like one of them had the optional GT panel installed, which had horizontal ribs. As best as I have ever known, they were painted body color and replaced the taillight trim. I was assuming the other car had the paint applied to mask the fact that it didn't have that option. But I'm sure no expert on the movie.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Super BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0768
There are some goods stills in the following gallery:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/galler...ages.php?c=323
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Yeah, I was looking at those pics earlier. I didn't think that panel was blacked out, but looking at this pic, I think it may have been.

I took it into photoshop and upped the saturation. It does look like there's more purple that comes out of that panel than out of the other shadows, which would make sense, since there would be less red and blue in the green shadows of an RGB image.

It's just really hard to tell. I'm considering the magnetic blackout panel, and this weighs on that decision.

Trigger | Alloy 2007 Mustang V6 Auto Coupe | FRPP CAI/Brenspeed Tune | Pypes Performance X-pipe/GT Take off Axle Back | 17" Matte Black Bullitt Wheels | Customized Astra Hammond 10467 Quarter Window Louvers | Custom Grille | Rear Deck Chrome Trim | Custom Center Caps | Custom 1968 parking/fog lamps | Poor Man's Shorty Antennae
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcos
I took it into photoshop and upped the saturation. It does look like there's more purple that comes out of that panel than out of the other shadows, which would make sense, since there would be less red and blue in the green shadows of an RGB image.

It's just really hard to tell. I'm considering the magnetic blackout panel, and this weighs on that decision.

You got WAY too serious and Technical on this subject...........

(but that was a pretty clever idea to analyze the photo!)

-Scott (the Other, OTHER, OTHER Scott)..... Parfois, on fait pas semblant!
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Yeah, I have a tendency to do that don't I? Let's just say, there's not a lot going on at work today.

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Monster BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5656
In one part of the movie, it looks almost like one of them had the optional GT panel installed, which had horizontal ribs. ...
OK, this is what I was talking about:

See the original panel in the taillight area, and note it's all body-colored, including the taillight trim.
http://mustangs.about.com/od/mustang...rd-Mustang.htm

Here's something aftermarket that does a fairly cheesy job of recreating the look on newer Mustangs.
http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang_De...63423b70-a.htm

Look at the movie Mustangs, and you'll see one was a GT, the other was not (as evidenced by the rear valance, which the GT got the notches for the exhaust tips, no backup lamps, and no "nerfs" for the rear bumper). AFAIK, the 390 was only available on the GT, and if so, the car that was thrashed in the chase scenes, being a "paint to match the GT" body-double, was almost surely powered by a 302 4-bbl or 302 High Performance - a hottie in its own right that could outhandle the WAY nose-heavy 390.

Honestly, I am not sure if the GT was a 390 or a 302 - can anyone confirm this?

I think I need to watch the movie again to see it clearly.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1866
Both cars were 390s but each had a different trim package

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Monster BullittHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop
Both cars were 390s but each had a different trim package
OK, I wasn't aware the 390 was available in the standard low-brow Mustang body without the GT package.

As far as the trim package, it was a GT or not. One was, one was not.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Monster BullittHead

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:54 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 5998
I read somewhere years ago that the car used for the jumps scenes was a small block, and the other car was a 390 GT (sans trim) that was used for the high speed scenes on the highway (and which had trouble keeping up with the big bad 440 magnum). This car survived and is hidden away in a barn by a mysterious, unidentified, reclusive, secretive millionaire owner.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
Heresay.

Always has been two 390s, both HG. One a GT, one a non-GT Fastback.

Although, as Droopy has posted, there is always contention about this. Imo, if you want to have the back panel black, paint it, cover it in black. No issues there unless your trying to build the definitive clone. And if you are, you need to read and correspond with Dave Kunz. Also like what Droopy advised.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode