Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
The car was reconditioned by a local body shop prior to being sold. It included replacing the bright trim work, grill, driver's side mirror and antenna. Sean stated that there has been some serious bondo work done to the car. This may be some of the work done at the shop.
Well that explains the rocker panel trims being shiny polished metal. I'll have to look into the rear quarter panel C curve ornaments a bit further, to see if they were painted over in the movie. You can see them alright, particularly at the start just before he drives off under the overpass. But not sure if they are unpainted or not. Glorious Technicolor not being todays HD!

Not sure where the Bondo went! Still plenty of movie spec dents in the old girl. Perhaps there was rust in the rockers from that wonderful NJ winter weather? Again that would tie into why the rocker trims were replaced.

Personally I'd love to see an in depth expose on the technical details. Like exactly what changes were made and some more photos (like some of the underside). Now perhaps we can see if the subframes had connectors, were headers fitted etc. The motor looks like its had some paint at some stage, so who knows if that's all per the movie. The overall patina suggests it hasn't been changed too much. That "buyers remorse"magazine article when the detective owned it showed it with the OEM type square side mirror, so I guessed the little "Yankee Metal Products" one is long gone.
JUST 1BULLITT likes this.

March 68' S code GT Fastback - build underway.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00000
Garage
A copy of the repair invoice from when Warner Brothers repaired the vehicle can be found under Brad Bowling's website with other documentation. Great read if you have not already.

Bullitt Mustang #559 Revealed to Public ? BradBowling.com

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3383
Garage
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by mungus View Post
Well that explains the rocker panel trims being shiny polished metal. I'll have to look into the rear quarter panel C curve ornaments a bit further, to see if they were painted over in the movie. You can see them alright, particularly at the start just before he drives off under the overpass. But not sure if they are unpainted or not. Glorious Technicolor not being todays HD!

Not sure where the Bondo went! Still plenty of movie spec dents in the old girl. Perhaps there was rust in the rockers from that wonderful NJ winter weather? Again that would tie into why the rocker trims were replaced.

Personally I'd love to see an in depth expose on the technical details. Like exactly what changes were made and some more photos (like some of the underside). Now perhaps we can see if the subframes had connectors, were headers fitted etc. The motor looks like its had some paint at some stage, so who knows if that's all per the movie. The overall patina suggests it hasn't been changed too much. That "buyers remorse"magazine article when the detective owned it showed it with the OEM type square side mirror, so I guessed the little "Yankee Metal Products" one is long gone.
Underside of the car while in the barn. Shows the glass pack mufflers and the camera mounts which are still on the car. It looked like at least some of the exhaust had been replaced when the car was shown in Detroit.

Extra clamps on leaf springs.

Bondo quote. "Sean points out a chip on the edge of the passenger’s-side rear fender, which reveals a thick layer of filler. “This entire side is Bondo,” he says. “There must be 40 gallons of it in the door alone. It oozes out of the inside. Whoever put it on was a real sculptor, because it matches the lines of the car perfectly.” The door was smashed in during the closing stages of the chase scene, and the filler is the result of the shortcut repair."

This pretty clearly shows the taillight bezels painted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Droopy; 01-29-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1750
Cool

Yup! very cool!!

You're NEVER 'Low On Ammo' When You Drive A BULLITT!

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
I liked this article - https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...-going-on-tour

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM

Garage
Thanks for the underside photo. Can't see any subframe connector there...

The Brad Bowling website is great, lots of good info there. All this stuff in the last few weeks has finally got to the truth of the Bullitt cars. Like burying the story Chad McQueen came out with about one having a 427 in it in one interview he did.
I never believed that one, and now we know. I mean lets be honest, he was a little kid when the movie was being made, and would have had no idea about the tech side of cars at that age. Likewise the other stories that got put around. Those who bothered to check the VINs and delivery specs knew how they started life. Max shed a little light on what he did before he died, and now we have them both. The Mexican car has been butchered and tampered with so that's just a VIN'd skeleton now, and will have to be built using the hero car as a template. But the hero car is pretty faithful to the end of the movie, so I'm happy that's finally been opened up for the Bullitt community to learn from.

Heres a big thank you to the owners family for keeping this way for so long. And for not selling out to an enemy of America, like some Chinese junk billionaire, Middle eastern oil brat or whatever.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 01118
Garage
If this is a repost, please delete this!

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...overed-feature
edtrae03130, mungus and bullit4404 like this.

Tony Alonso
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt - black, #1118, VIN 1FAFP42X21F213026
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt - highland green, #6323, VIN 1ZVHT82H995129122
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt - dark highland green, K1254, VIN 1FA6P8K06K5500726
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:50 AM

Garage
Heres a new magazine article on it, with a few close up photos. I don't think the writer knows that much but its a quality mag. Its still available even though it was last months issue (#27).

www.survivorcaraustralia.com.au

bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode