LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3383
Garage
The Movie Hero Car Articles and Videos

Here are some good articles about the movie hero car.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...d-real-mcqueen

The Original Bullitt Mustang Has Come Out of Hiding

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Droopy; 01-17-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03130
Garage
Being from New Jersey I think it is great that it has a Jersey tag....
Cochese likes this.

Bullitt 3130 has a few modifications mostly suspension and braking work for the fun twisty roads. and an teenage(15) female Mechanic who wants to track her car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
That Hagerty article was extremely well written.

Actually, I feel sorry for the owner. I know what it feels like to have a car wanted by the wrong people for the wrong reason. Not that any of the pressures I was subjected to were anything close to what this poor bastard is now going through. For me, it became such a pain in the ass I couldn't wait to shed myself of the car and go on with life. The value had nothing to do with it...

This is why I caution those who think the modern Bullitts are future collectable cars to be careful what you wish for.
JUST 1BULLITT likes this.

Last edited by pwd72s; 01-16-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: additionhal thought

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
There are always two sides to the story. Sean's dad was not the ogre that the car press made him out to be. Also the car was in pieces by 2001 so it would have been difficult to bring it out before then. Judging by the last paragraph in the Haggerty article it will likely be sold at some point. Unless it is picked up by a museum it will fall back behind the curtain....

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 0533
Jay Leno was driving the new 2019 and the Hero car in this article. Appears it was last fall at Ford's test track in Dearborn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...ge=AAuKg7B_1|1
TwoStangWmn and DavidMidgley like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
There are always two sides to the story. Sean's dad was not the ogre that the car press made him out to be. Also the car was in pieces by 2001 so it would have been difficult to bring it out before then. Judging by the last paragraph in the Haggerty article it will likely be sold at some point. Unless it is picked up by a museum it will fall back behind the curtain....
Trust me, the collector car world is full of flippers, pimps, and thieves. The sharks are gathering. For this guy's sake, I hope the Ford museum made an offer he couldn't refuse.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1167
It says the wood steering wheel was stolen in transit but in the movie you can clearly see it is the black Shelby steering wheel that is in the car Steve is driving
Unless this one is a replacement Shelby wheel now but it never was a wood wheel during filming makes you wonder if there are other inaccurate parts to the story.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
It says the wood steering wheel was stolen in transit but in the movie you can clearly see it is the black Shelby steering wheel that is in the car Steve is driving
Unless this one is a replacement Shelby wheel now but it never was a wood wheel during filming makes you wonder if there are other inaccurate parts to the story.
Sean mentions that in his interview with someone, that it is a replacement steering wheel. Unmentioned is that his grandfather backed a tractor into it while stored in the barn. There is a picture somewhere here and it shows the car without the front bumper and pan. Those were replaced recently, hence the bumper is very shiny and the rear bumper is rusty. Also, I notice the back panel isn't black, but the car was repainted by the Warner Brothers shop prior to sale by them years ago. I guess that makes the exact color of that piece a moot and unsupportable point. Also, the movie car in the movie has the tail lite bezels painted. They are once again, chrome. Could it be they were sprayed with that film industry water color? It's a matte finish and washes away with some scrubbing...

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Bullitt Color: True Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 04742
If the Mustang is sold to whoever, what will they do with it? Not in terms of display and shows and such, but maintenance. Leaving the car as is without a doubt is awesome. The patina and history of all its years of use is such a unique story. Plus I think the person might not be afraid to bring it out more often. However, restoring back to movie spec would be equally fantastic but might bring out a fear of damage and cause them to keep tucked away for years at a time again. A conundrum for the ages.

a.k.a. Hoosier Daddy a.k.a. Eco-Bullitt, Save Water

I'm sorry you find my normal behavior inappropriate.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM
BEST BULLITT Nats 06

Bullitt Serialized Number: 00344
Those probably for sure aren't the original tires.

~VICKI~
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStangWmn View Post
Those probably for sure aren't the original tires.
Nope the originals are long gone. The second owner replaced them.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01152
Garage
My concern about the possible sale the Hero car is where it will wind up.
The Corvette Museum ? Not likely, but a scary thought none the less.....
Saudi Arabia, Asia??? Far away from the American public.......ARGH!

I am praying that the Henry Ford Museum can make some sort of arrangement to keep it there in Detroit, or if not them at least available in an L.A. faciilty open to the viewing public.

My name is David J. Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me that. You can call me David. Or you can call me David J. Or you can call me David Midgley. But you doesn't have to call me David J. Midgley....
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Exactly my concern. Once t is auctioned it could very well go back behind the curtain never to be seen again.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Bullitt Year: 68
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Garage
Red face Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMidgley View Post
My concern about the possible sale the Hero car is where it will wind up.
The Corvette Museum ? Not likely, but a scary thought none the less.....
Saudi Arabia, Asia??? Far away from the American public.......ARGH! I am praying that the Henry Ford Museum can make some sort of arrangement to keep it there in Detroit, or if not them at least available in an L.A. faciilty open to the viewing public.
The Henry Ford Museum would be a fitting place for it. If it must belong to an individual then someone like Jay Leno would be my pick. A true enthusiast, who met McQueen, who drives all his vehicles, and who would do the car justice. The idea of it going to offshore, especially to a place with no cultural affinity to the USA (like the Middle East or Asia) is just awful. Maybe even Canada or Australia etc, but China? YUK! However the current owner seems pretty decent and right into the car so hopefully he won't just sell out, possibly even making a condition of sale where the owner resides etc.

It was great to see those detailed photos. Puts to rest some of the myths.
One thing I had never noticed, despite many screenshots etc (and great because I haven't yet painted my 68 S code "Bullitt" so I can drill the holes without fear!), was that the little C shaped chromed rear quarter panel ornaments ARE fitted to the movie cars. After seeing those photos I went back and checked the movie and yup, there they are! Hard to see but they are.

Likewise confirms the cars had GT rear valances (we know one got replaced near the end of the chase scene due to damage). Why wouldn't they have? I always said. We have the VIN's and so KNEW they were factory GT's!... Also interesting to see the speaker grilles in the doors, as some claimed they didn't have those either. The engine bay also shows good details, like the low mounted alternator for the Thermactor set up, etc. I'm guessing the rocker trims are replacements as there is no HG paint. Shame the Yankee Metal Products mirror has been replaced by standard FoMoCo square one. (don't think we'll ever figure out if both cars had that as its missing from some scenes). But as we now know, this car was a daily driver for a while.

All in all this is a great thing. Can't wait to see the little movie about it.

March 68' S code GT Fastback - build underway.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
The car was reconditioned by a local body shop prior to being sold. It included replacing the bright trim work, grill, driver's side mirror and antenna. Sean stated that there has been some serious bondo work done to the car. This may be some of the work done at the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode