Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Sold for $3.4 million.

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  FarmerDon 
#1 ·
Well, it sold for $3.4. "A fool and his money are soon parted.":surprise:

#5 ·
I honestly thought it would go for more. Yes the car is a beatup 68 for alot of money, but we have to remember its about what it stands for. It was in a major motion picture, great drivers were at the wheel of it Steve and Bud, Im sure Bill had to try it out. And one important thing, its etched in the minds of millions of people as the greatest car chase ever. Also I am sure it made alot of people car guys after seeing the chase. Its alot of money but honestly if I had that kinda money it would have went home with me. I just hope it isn't locked away and the public can enjoy it.

#6 ·
I was surprised it actually sold for that much. The hype was one thing, but to actually write the check is another. It'll be interesting to see who is the buyer and what they have planned. If it were mine I'd be tempted to restore it to movie condition. It's pretty rough at the moment and I'm not sure maintaining its NJ wear and tear is a feature given that it's the McQueen history that makes it special.

#9 ·
I had the good fortune of being able to attend the auction and dinner the previous night with Sean Kiernan, his family and Bullitt "team" and a host of other "experts". My understanding of the consensus of that group is that the car has deteriorated to the point that any attempt at restoration would essentially destroy its' "Bullitt" pedigree. Others in attendance may have a different interpretation of what was said, but it is clear that Sean Kiernan is unequivocally opposed to any attempt to restore the car. Having said all of that, what Sean may or may not want is now moot.

#7 ·
The problem with any restoration would be in deciding how far to go...what "movie condition"? How did it look when it was bought from the studio? Not many records?

Guess I'm glad it's not my problem. Funny thing about my current age...just don't look at "stuff" the way I used to. Instead of "I want", it's become "Do I want the hassles that come with this thing?". The more "stuff" you have, the more "stuff" you have to take care of.

#12 ·
For what it's worth, the auction itself is on youtube. Gawd, what a mob scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1kzTyqcN9U
IYep! It was a Madhouse, but I'm happy I was there to see History in the making! It was nice meeting a lot of Club Member's, and putting names to faces...What's the next big show, somebody was talking about National's in Melbourne, Florida? Thanks for a Great Time...:smile2:

#14 ·
I thought it would have gone higher on the bids. I figured at least 5 mil. It was great being there, meeting new friends and catching up with old friends.

#15 ·
I too thought it might go higher, 5-7mil was my recent thinking. It did however achieve the most expensive Mustang and I think IIRC it's the 2nd highest Musclecar behind a Hemi Cuda maybe.

I also agree it should not be restored, leave it alone except for anything mechanical it might need to stay drivable.

My hope is that whoever bought it continues to allow the public to see it at least occasionally.

#16 ·
^^^^^Agreed!!!!!

#18 ·
:D Thanks for posting that link. Some awesome press!

Reactions: bullit4404
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.