• 1 Post By pwd72s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
A funny pool tale

Posted on a pool site by Jay Helfert, long time tournament director, poolhall owner, and player. A thread on moments witnessed in pool to remember. It gave me a laugh...and I love it when the underdog wins.

"go back a long ways in Pool, so I've seen a lot. One that will always stand out for me was when Warren "The Monk" Costanzo played Mike Sigel in the finals of the World Pro-Am in Vegas at the Tropicana in 1979. There were something like 600 players in this event (I was one of them) and we played super short matches (two out of three games, two out of three sets) on bar tables until the final match, which was now a Race to Eleven on a 9' Table.

No one gave Monk a chance against the greatest young player in the game. But Monk was a warrior and he held on and took the match to 9-10 down. Sigel was running out for the win when he somehow went too far and got corner hooked on the nine by the point of the side pocket (the cue ball was hanging in the jaws). He jacked up, masse'd the cue ball and made a great safety, hitting the edge of the nine ball and sending the cue ball up table. Monk was left with a long difficult cut shot on the nine. The place was packed and noisy, but as he got down on the ball it went dead silent in the room. Monk was down on the shot for maybe five seconds before he stood back up and smiled. He wiped his brow and said, "I'm a little nervous," and everyone broke out laughing. They were playing for $27,500 first prize, huge money back then. With only 10K for second and there was no deal since Mike was such a huge favorite. The line had been Monk wouldn't seven or even six by some gamblers.

Monk finally got back down and calmly fired that shot in. It was tied hill-hill with Monk breaking. He slammed the rack and the nine ball flew straight in the corner. Monk had beaten the mighty Sigel, and he stood there in amazement at what he had just done for a couple of seconds and then he fainted, falling right to the floor!"
FarmerDon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode