• 1 Post By MikuhlBrian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
Stock Exhaust Removal Without Cutting

Is it possible to remove the stock exhaust without cutting it when the car is lifted slightly from the ground, without putting it on a lift?

I purchased Borla Stingers and I don't want to destroy the stock exhaust for obvious reasons.

I found this old thread, but it doesn't say whether you need a lift or not.

https://www.imboc.com/forums/88-01-m...-question.html

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Bob
Looked under my 2008 and would say no without a lift. If you could jack it up about 2 feet and drop the axle by removing the lower shock mounts, maybe. But, that's pretty high and you'd need big jack stands. Maybe the easiest would be to go to your local muffler shop?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
you have to separate the body from the axle area. lift and some kind of transmission type of jack that can press against the body of the car as the lift is lowered. dangerous proposition. ask me how I know..............
bullit4404 likes this.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Supporting Member

If that's the case: Just mark and cut the pipes neatly and they could be sleeved or mig welded back together?
VIC-TIM likes this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I have a bud with a lift in his shed and he might have a tranny lift. I didn't really want bug him and take the time to drive up/back/up/back. I'll see what he has.
I just hate to cut the exhaust and ruin the stock system. I have plenty of attic space to store it - lol.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 PM
Car Whisperer

if you try the separation deal, be REALLY CAREFUL!!! On my 01, a shop tried it to get the new exhaust in and the car almost went off the lift. once the body separated and he got the pipes either in or out...whatever it was at the time, they went down more with the car instead of up when they were supposed to and the car almost was pushed off the lift. my adrenaline was up for hours after that. my friend was with me and grabbed me as I was going grab the car......yea right, I am going to stop a 3500 lb car...glad he was there. it was just an instinctual reaction on my part.
Doheny and bullit4404 like this.

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Bob, just follow "bullit4404 aks Pat" suggestion and save yourself a lot of aggravation. If you plan it out, a single cut (one of both sides) will save yourself a lot of work and once put back together, no one would be able to tell the difference without a close inspection.
VIC-TIM, FarmerDon and bullit4404 like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Where do you guys recommend I cut the exhaust?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Supporting Member

Bob
If it was me, I'd cut as close to the back of the mufflers as possible. That way you'll retain your tailpipe hangars
FarmerDon and Doheny like this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Car Whisperer

you had said, you don't want to destroy the stock exhaust. what part are you wanting to keep as close to stock as possible?

if all you are doing is replacing the mufflers with the stingers, just cut the mufflers out while leaving enough pipe on each end of the muffler that someone could cut a short piece to reattach the stock muffler and then weld the stingers in or clamp them in if you want to be able to change back to the stock mufflers. if you are replacing the whole cat back with bigger pipes, then I would cut it to the front of the car, in front of the rear axle where as it leaves the muffler and starts up toward the axle at a point you can easily reach to cut and also allow an easy piece to be welded in to put it back to stock. if you cut it close to the muffler, you run the risk of not being able to feed it over the axle to remove it due to the length. then you are back to the separation issue which is tricky as I said.
FarmerDon and Doheny like this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm installing catbacks. I'll do what Tim said:

"if you are replacing the whole cat back with bigger pipes, then I would cut it to the front of the car, in front of the rear axle where as it leaves the muffler and starts up toward the axle at a point you can easily reach to cut and also allow an easy piece to be welded in to put it back to stock."
bullit4404 likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

So after the above discussion, I decided to just cut the exhasut sytem in multiple pieces and scrap it out. It wasn't that it was the easiest, but I don't see anyone every wanting to put this car back to stock. This Bullitt has ~39K miles. There are plenty of Bullitts with fewer miles, in mint condition, that will be used as survivors.

So, here's some pics of the new Borla Stinger catback exhaust. The is sound great. It's low and deep. I couldn't be happier. Car still has the original cats and H pipe.

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 8.37.38 AM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	71249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 8.38.19 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	71251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 8.38.41 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	71253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.05.19 AM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	71255  
bullit4404 likes this.

Last edited by Doheny; 05-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0265
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
So after the above discussion, I decided to just cut the exhasut sytem in multiple pieces and scrap it out. It wasn't that it was the easiest, but I don't see anyone every wanting to put this car back to stock. This Bullitt has ~39K miles. There are plenty of Bullitts with fewer miles, in mint condition, that will be used as survivors.

So, here's some pics of the new Borla Stinger catback exhaust. The is sound great. It's low and deep. I couldn't be happier. Car still has the original cats and H pipe.

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it.

I am a HUGE fan of the Borla sound. I had Borla Stingers on my 2001 GT convertible, my 2006 GT convertible, and currently have a Borla ATAK on my 06 Dodge Magnum SRT8. I'm already planning to install Borla's on my Bullitt #265 as well. To me, nothing beats the sound of Borla.
Doheny likes this.

------ Brian, 2001 DHG #265

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode