Broken Heater Hose Tee? - IMBOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1465
Broken Heater Hose Tee?

Is it me or is it like this for all Bullitt owners... I had a plastic piece break on my Bullitt last week as I was coming home from work. When I stopped, steam was coming from under the hood. I parked at a store popped the hood to investigate and the problem was obvious. A plastic Tee that connects 3 hoses together had broken. The part is located by the firewall, looks as if the first larger hose (3/4)runs from the heater coil to the Tee then from the Tee to the Block. There is also a smaller hose (3/that runs into the intake manifold. I thought that I could go to any automotive part store and get a quick fix. No Luck. I tryed them all I was desperate. Everyone said "Thats a Dealer Part". So I thought, Oh well fix it tomorrow. Went to Baytown Ford the next morning and they were all just as baffled as the others. They ordered everything under the sun but the right piece. Without a part number they are completely lost. If Ford can't figure out what my part is what am I to do? Any ideas? I placed a temporary piece (thin cheap plastic tubing)on the there but it wasn't designed for that type of pressure or heat. Does anyone know what this piece is called?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I also have one on BULLITT #3691. It's my understanding that some have it and some do not...why is beyond me. I too have went to the local Ford dealership to have one as a spare in the event it breaks and was told they do not have a clue as to the part number. Sorry I could not be of any help other than say I have one also! Let me know if you find the correct/proper replacement for it.
Thanks, Denny

Last edited by 9274; 07-24-2008 at 03:42 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00096
#96 doesn't have the tee, just 2 hoses with pressure fittings. When my heater core went out recently, i just went to autozone and pieced 2 hoses together to bypass it. This way I didn't tear up the 2 hoses that were on there. The way I figured it was who needs a heater in Texas anyway... At least until Jan. I can get you the part numbers for hoses that don't require the T-split if you need them. Just let me know. Travis

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 04686
Garage
We have a heater???? At first I thought you were talking about the '08 's only!

Man, those 08 Bulls come with everything: Radio, Sat. Radio, IUP, that stainless steel dash-stuff, AND now they also come with a heater?? What will they think of next!??!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 03439
Dude call me I have an extra one in my trunk. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born On 6/22/2001

SCT X2/MAC Offroad 3 piece H/CID Shaker/Eibach Pro Kit/Mach 1 Grill Delete/ Chin Spoiler/9.5x17 w/275's & 10.5x17 w/315's Black Bullets/Shift light/fog lights/Nitto 555 Extreme II's/Chaser System/SLP Line Lock/Steeda Tri-Ax/31 Spline/
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Monster BullittHead

You guy's/gal's realize this is like the 4th or 5th one of these that has broken in the past 2 months and people are posting about them?

Here is the link to my original thread on this very topic.
https://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157499

Oh and FYI Tommy Vahn, Boumont ford and Laporte Ford have been looking now for 3 months. NOTHING yet!

Born On 6/22/2001

SCT X2/MAC Offroad 3 piece H/CID Shaker/Eibach Pro Kit/Mach 1 Grill Delete/ Chin Spoiler/9.5x17 w/275's & 10.5x17 w/315's Black Bullets/Shift light/fog lights/Nitto 555 Extreme II's/Chaser System/SLP Line Lock/Steeda Tri-Ax/31 Spline/

Last edited by steelfalcon29; 07-24-2008 at 05:25 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

BullittHead

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1465
I can't even find a motor diagram online to reference the part without taking them outside to show them. Thanks for all the info... Buck I'll be calling you so.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 1276
Question Aftermarket Add-on For Some ???

Ford's use of 2 different PCV valves aside, I'm just wondering of some of these "T" connections Yall are referring to are actually dealer/owner-installed PRESTONE FLUSH-N-FILL kit connections that have been installed for ease in flushing out cooling systems (I'm sure Yall are familiar with these kits that are sold just about everywhere and have been in the past 30-40 years).

I think one of these pieces is a "T" with a capped-off connection for a garden hose and it plumbs in to one of the lines running to/from the heater core.

These parts used to be yellow in color in the 70(s) but I think they switched to black (plastic) and they would often be installed in one of the heater core lines. The plastic probably isn't the best quality and will probably crack and/or develop hair-line cracks over a period of time.

This may not answer for all of the mysteries out there but it is a thought, plus the Ford service diagrams would not show such a "T" installed since it wasn't put in by Ford.

Just something to think about ... (???)

"God, Guns, and Guts made Texas free - at any price keep all three"
"Many of them cried; ME NO ALAMO - ME NO GOLIAD, and for most of them these were the last words they spoke".

Last edited by TXBLUOVAL; 07-26-2008 at 05:34 PM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Monster BullittHead

Glenn, Next time were around I'll pop the hood and show ya. This is no sort of flushing tee.

Born On 6/22/2001

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Wink Checking the Manual

Yall give me a bit and I'll check the factory manuals here and see what they show. I'll also go raise the hood of 1276 again. I'll check the PCV schematic if the book has it and I'll look for this mystery "T" connection and get back to Yall.

"Many of them cried; ME NO ALAMO - ME NO GOLIAD, and for most of them these were the last words they spoke".
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

OK ... This is how the PCV and heater lines are plumbed on 1276:

Driver-side PCV: Centered in the valve cover and runs to the plastic air intake collector between the IAC motor and the MAF (the IAC line is plumbed right on top of it).

Passenger PCV: Centered in the valve cover and runs in to the intake manifold.

There is no "T" or "Y" connection of any sort involved in the factory plumbing of the PCV(s).

The heater lines:

There are 2 hard lines the come thru the firewall from the interior of the car. This is obviously the receiving and discharge lines of the heater core.

One of these lines has a compression-type fitting (like you find on the old power steering/hydraulic hoses) and this connects to a snaked hard line that appears to run underneath the intake manifold in the empty valley between the block and the bottom of the intake manifold (and finally ends where I don't know). This is an independent line.

The other line is connected to a hose and it curves downward and goes in to the intake manifold (the back "ear" area on the passenger side). This is also an independent line.

There is a third line that comes from the interior of the vehicle thru the firewall and this appears to be the A/C evaporator connection. This line is also an independent line.

None of these lines tie in together whatsoever. Neither of the PCV lines are connected to any of the heater and/or A/C lines nor anywhere else in the cooling and/or refrigerant system(s).

I will now go to the factory manuals and see what they show.

Also:

Yall might want to check the TSB(s) here in the IMBOC archives just to see if anything is mentioned about any of this.

I do recall reading that some time between 1999 and 2002 there was a cooling problem involving either the driver-side or passenger side head that caused some heating problems (or something to that affect) and they might have re-plumbed something with the coolant lines on the passenger side to alleviate this problem. I think they might have redesigned the 2-V heads sometime after 2001 because I often see 2-V heads advertised as being "the newer long-plug design" ... (???)

Anyway ... I'll get back to this thread in a bit after I hit the manuals.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Friend of IMBOC

Bullitt Serialized Number: 00388
Mr.T covered this before. Somewhere in the run they went to the heated PVC. If it were me I would remove it, and dump the plastic "T". Also, I believe, the driver side PVC is not a PVC but this is the the breather side that gets clean air from the intake.

While we are discussing the PVC though, it might be a good idea to see how well those rubber connections are sealing after 7 years of setting there. Mine were VERY loose. Instead of buying new rubber though, I just added the small compression type clamps.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:24 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid Life Crisis #388
Also, I believe, the driver side PVC is not a PVC but this is the the breather side that gets clean air from the intake.
I think you're right. It appears that I have 2 PCV(s) but actually that is only because one side is actually a plastic elbow that comes out of the valve cover (not being an actual PCV).

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:26 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Cool Ford Shop Maual Info.

I checked the factory shop manual regarding the heater hoses. The diagram showed EXACTLY how I described the plumbing on 1276.

As for the PCV the only thing I saw was the references to it when removing the valve covers and again the diagrams showed exactly how I described 1276.

One remedy might be is to either check a regular GT for 2002 - 2004 and see what type of PCV system is used then try to scavenge that part from a wrecking yard,

OR,

R & R everything you have then reassemble it as per the other system used on other BULLITT models for 2001.

Again ... I've seen nothing in the factory manuals as you describe your vehicle.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Last edited by TXBLUOVAL; 07-27-2008 at 01:25 AM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
SteelFalcon's post on this has pics of both kinds and all the info on this thus far. I have it and now with 2 that close together, I am going to find one and stick it in now before she pops. 3/4 X #/4 X 3/8 if I remember Steel's post of the size.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode