• 1 Post By Ezekial
  • 1 Post By JackDW - 852
  • 1 Post By Ezekial
  • 1 Post By lk4chrgr#0046

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Super BullittHead

Running Choppy, didn't start?

So, my Bullitt is all original except Shaker air induction. It has only 28k miles so all factory plugs, etc. has run great, had it out for spin...even a few burnouts, all good though I could tell just a slight "miss"? Then I stopped to do hand spray car wash, careful to avoid water in shaker as always. It started up fine, I pulled out of wash bay and it started sputtering. I thought, something is wet, it will dissipate, but I could not give it any power. It died at light and would not re-start, but coughed & tried.

Got it home dried it out, there was water on intake, etc. today, a week later, would not start. Sprayed "starting fluid" in throttle body and it fired up...at least eliminating fuel items. I can still feel miss and as it runs it gets choppy again. I'm thinking COP didn't like it somewhere?

Other thoughts?

"Drivin' it like I was chasing that Charger!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: Multiple Bullitts
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00736
You’ve got water in the the plug wells. Pull the coils and blow compressed air into the wells to get the water out. Let it air out overnight.
Warlock and bullit4404 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Super BullittHead

Thanks, makes sense. Pull coils but not actual plugs out.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Color: Multiple Bullitts
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lk4chrgr#0046 View Post
Thanks, makes sense. Pull coils but not actual plugs out.

Correct.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Let us know if that works. Inspect the coils carefully for cracks.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Color: Black
Bullitt Serialized Number: 2455
Same thing happened to 2455 3 weeks ago, 21,000 miles, took it for a drive, made a quick stop, started up fine and drove out of the parking lot, started missing, choking, and finally stopped running, cranked on it and it started but couldn't give it gas, got off the road and called the tow truck and took it to my local Ford dealer. Fuel Pump went out.
bullit4404 likes this.

Larry
black bullitt #2455
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:58 PM

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4816
Garage
I'm one "old skoolers" who still washes & dries my engine at the hand spray car wash maybe 1-2 times a month. In almost 10 years & 76K have never had a problem with a mis-fire or no start. After saying that, I worked at a carwash back in the 80's for a minute, and washed the engine on a V-Dub Rabbit as part of a detailing job, it had a miss afterward. The customer brought it back a week later and it still had the miss. Sent it to the shop & it turned out it had water in some sensor....that I had to pay for. I thought water would have evaporated after a week, but nope.

John Wick's Not The Only One Who Loves His Mustang
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
after you determine the cause, i.e., water in the plug wells or a bad coil pack or fuel pump, then it will be time to figure out how all that water got down in there. if you have a stock style, Mach 1 shaker system, that should not have happened. do you have the drain tube hooked up?
bullit4404 likes this.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Super BullittHead

Due to ridiculous work travel schedule + weather, have not had chance to blow out plug wells. But two months later, it should have evaporated by now. I tried cranking it today, would not start...and frankly, made me think fuel as it started previously with ether help. Can we hear fuel pump whine before start up? I can't recall?

Serpent, as to your question, yes I do have drain lines hooked up. I believe this was fluke as I don't have underhood "guard" that finishes off look of hood opening when open. I believe water got into exposed hood structure, then leaked onto motor when slant of car wash created steep angle...then the problems started.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Car Whisperer

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: No Bullitt
Bullitt Serialized Number: 9999
water sitting that long without being removed could account for other problems now.

was Frankenstang Bullitt #4923

Two defining forces died for you. Jesus Christ died for your soul. The American Soldier died for your freedom.

"It's a lot easier to pacify a country when it's citizens can't shoot back" Gray Anderson, Mayor, "Jericho"

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the U.S. Native-American Indian."

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Fuel and fire. What's missing?

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1986
Your problem sounds a LOT like a fuel pump (as others have said as well). Mine just went out with 130k miles, and occured after a 20min drive followed by filling up the tank. It started but then died 1/2 block later, after chugging horribly and failing to restart.
bullit4404 likes this.

DHG Bullitt #1986 | non-running 1966 Fastback
Resident IMBOC ridiculer of Mustangs, Cars, and visual modifications.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:41 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
followed by filling up the tank. It started but then died 1/2 block later, after chugging horribly and failing to restart.
At you sure you didn't get bad gas? Happened to my daughter a couple month's ago. Got about a block for gas station and car died. Towed to dealership and the tow truck driver advised that they had towed several other cars that had just filled up at the same station. Turns out the tow, repair and a rental car was covered by her comprehensive insurance and the gas station reimbursed her for her deductible.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:30 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDW - 852 View Post
At you sure you didn't get bad gas? Happened to my daughter a couple month's ago. Got about a block for gas station and car died. Towed to dealership and the tow truck driver advised that they had towed several other cars that had just filled up at the same station. Turns out the tow, repair and a rental car was covered by her comprehensive insurance and the gas station reimbursed her for her deductible.
Sadly, 100% sure. Same station I have used for 6 months.
After replacing pump, used up the full tank no problem
bullit4404 likes this.

DHG Bullitt #1986 | non-running 1966 Fastback
Resident IMBOC ridiculer of Mustangs, Cars, and visual modifications.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Super BullittHead

So getting back to the group as it was very interesting to find out, it was indeed a bad fuel pump!! Apparently, the whole car wash deal and potential water in plug sockets was bad coincidence. The Stealership wanted $609 just for the pump!! Based on comments here, I bought a Walbro for $158 and all is good!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
bullit4404 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode