• 2 Post By bullit4404
  • 1 Post By bullit4404

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 2407
Hard to start condition

I have an intermittent hard to start condition on my 01 Bullitt that I have not been able to solve. When the engine is cold it will always fire right up. Also, if I have been on a long run to really heat things up, it will restart no problem. The issue is that sometimes when I go on short 5 to 10 min ride and then shut it off, it does not want to fire back up. The first time I turn the key, it will crank but have no sign of life. Then the second time I turn the key, it will reluctantly fire up. My mechanic looked at it (of course it would not do this for him) and checked some regular items he suspected but found nothing. Has anyone else experienced this condition or know what it could be? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Charles

GONE TO PLAID!

Bullitt Color: Multiple Bullitts
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00736
Mine have done this since day 1 off and on. Turn the key on and let it sit for a few seconds and then try starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TwoStangWmn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 04439
Have the same issue since I got the car over 6 years ago. Helps to turn the key and push the gas pedal when you turn it over. Assuming a fuel issue of some kind, seems like it helps to give it a little rev and cut the key when turning it off to keep fuel in the lines.

It really doesn't like being spun off the track at 80+ mph I can tell you that. Had to try and start it a few times, same symptoms.

https://vimeo.com/330385145#t=696s

68k miles. 5.0 shifter, drop in K&N, 17x8 black bullitts, DHG pony in grille

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Question

Could be a number of things: Fuel injector(s) leaking down. Fuel pressure regulator not maintaining pressure. Weak fuel pump, plugged fuel filter.
The diagnosis is to connect a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what the fuel pressure is: A: Cranking B: Engine running C: With engine shut off.
If the pressure bleeds down after shut off, then injectors or pressure regulator could be suspect. If you are not getting good pressure when cranking or running could be a plugged fuel filter or fuel pump issue.
Fuel pressure should be around 30 PSI at idle and ~40 PSI under open throttle and low vacumn. Should hold pressure when shut off.
Fuel filter is a good place to start. Old gas can cause starting issues as well. Also heat soaking can cause vapour lock.
pwd72s and FarmerDon like this.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Last edited by bullit4404; 09-25-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Dark Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4204
Normal, Mine has done it every once in a while, since I bought it brand new. No worries!

BUY AMERICAN GOODS, Your job depends on it

AKA: No Rain Rick, Burnout Rick, Bullitt Rick
H&R Super Sport Springs, Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 275-45-17 on 17"x9" Bullitts
Original owner, 20K miles (All dry!)
Future Collectible, High & Dry Member
Best High & Dry Bullitt - Bullitt Nationals, Indianapolis 2009
2001 Bullitt #4204
2000 Mustang GT Convertible (Driver, Rare Sunburst Gold)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:55 PM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 05019
Mine has always done this too. What Charles said, turn the key on, wait a few seconds, then I press the throttle partway down, then crank it up. Most important, turn on the key and wait a few seconds or so (I usually wait about five seconds).

TB Bullitt #5019
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:50 AM

PY-Like BullittHead

Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 0852
Interesting..... I have a 2004 F150 with the 4.6 2v engine and it started doing the same thing this summer. Never did it before.

I plan to changes plugs, coils, etc this fall/winter. Just find it interesting so many people reporting this same thing with the 2v 4.6.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 4404
Dodge had this problem with the V6 Minivans. People cope with it, but it's not normal, IMHO. The fuel pressure bleeds down for some reason, and you have extended cranking required to start. The wait before cranking allows the fuel pump to re-pressurize the fuel system. The long term result is fuel pump failure, which lots of 01"s have experienced.
In the Dodges, lots of them had injector seepage, and you could smell the fuel in the oil.
pwd72s likes this.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:38 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4133
Mine does this as well off and on and it's annoying! Mine is when warm only and unpredictable. I usually turn key on let pressure build then crank if it doesn't kick right away I push gas pedal slightly and it will start but slow on the idle up. I think it has to do with throttle position and maybe computer related because it's completely random. It's interesting to see so many others have the same issue. We also have an 01 Gt and a 2000 GT and they never have this issue.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 PM

BullittHead

Bullitt Serialized Number: 03103
Got my 01' Bullitt in early June 2019 72K miles. It does the same thing. I just give it a little Gas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode