14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Year: No Bullitt
Bullitt Color: Former Owner
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4415
Best way to sell a classic mustang?

It's been awhile since I've been active on here. I sold the Bullitt a few years back and replaced it with a 64.5 coupe. The car has mainly just sat in the garage this entire time with very few trips to local cruise-ins. I actually got it out to just drive it on a nice day last week and just didn't have the joy in it I used to have in the Bullitt. The Bullitt was a blast to drive, but I also used it as a daily and had a lot of seat time and a LOT of myself in that car. I miss it. More importantly I miss the man pedal. I've found several replacements online but need to get rid of the 64.5 first. What is the best way to sell a classic? I've tried craigslist, but go no response except your typical scammers. I want to get my car out to serious buyers. It's a nice car and deserves to be enjoyed.

For those of you that have bought/sold classics, what would you recommend as the best way to sell?

1964.5 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:12 PM
BEST BULLITT Nats 06

Bullitt Year: 01
Bullitt Color: DHG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 00344
Hi Garrett, I also have a classic. I check a lot of the vintage Mustang sites to get prices if/when I decide to sell my 69 coupe. Here are a few:

https://classiccars.com/listing/add

Cars for Sale / Wanted - 69stang.com and 1969stang.com The 1969 and 1970 Mustang Supersite

https://classiccars.com/sell-my-car?...FQ9EfgodTkwFBw

https://usedmustangsforsale.com/login/

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-ca...ings/mustang_2

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...etts-site.html
waycad and bullit4404 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TwoStangWmn; 08-31-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 09
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
Ever tried bring a trailer?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of any of those sites, but will be doing some research now. I've never used bring a trailer, but after looking at some of the auctions it actually has me a bit discouraged. Seems a lightly modified 1st gen mustang doesn't fetch as much as I was hoping.

1964.5 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 01625
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsabullitt View Post
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of any of those sites, but will be doing some research now. I've never used bring a trailer, but after looking at some of the auctions it actually has me a bit discouraged. Seems a lightly modified 1st gen mustang doesn't fetch as much as I was hoping.
I've noticed that Bring A trailer is not a very good site to sell mustangs of any vintage. It appears to me that bidding activity is much more focused on European cars than American iron. The real problem with selling mustangs is that they're so plentiful that values are compressed, unless you're able to find that one buyer who really wants a particular car. Good luck with the sale.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Thank you. I agree. As it's not an all original museum piece or even a convertible or fastback it seems to fall into an endless sea of other mustang. I just took a bunch of pics and a video. Will probably post on classic cars website. One of the potential replacement cars is at a dealer that sells vintage and specialty cars so I've sent an email regarding a potential trade.

1964.5 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6380
I guess it all depends on whether you're buying or selling when discussing a car's value. Seller thinks he has a unique and special gem, buyer is looking for a bargain. In that regard, I suppose auctions serve a purpose when one is looking for a value guide.

As nice as Mustangs are, there were a ton of them made. Even the "special edition" ones are pretty common until you get into the very top models performance wise. Many buyers think the Bullitt is just a GT in a unique color. In a way, they're right.
bullit4404 likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Monster BullittHead

Bullitt Color: Highland Green
Bullitt Serialized Number: 6498
I advertised a friend's car on craigslist and other local websites. The car was a 1967 Mustang Convertible, 289 4V Auto with a near new Springtime Yellow paint job. The car was in very good mechanical condition and had a clean detailed motor. The car was all stock with a set of BULLITT wheels. I would say the car was a strong #3.
After near 4 months on various sites, the car was bought buy a classic car dealer for $18K.....my friend was asking $21,995.00
Needless to say.....the phone didn't ring off the hook on this one.
Maybe the classic car industry is slowing or there's a glut of cars out there. Maybe baby boomers are starting to clean house...
Most of my boomer friends sold their classics and bought new stuff with all the comfort and safety items....

ARMY TC
pwd72s, Marguerite and bullit4404 like this.

IT MUST BE THE GREEN!!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Supporting Member

Bullitt Serialized Number: 6072
Garage
Idk, my nephew in fla, just sold his rusted hulk of a rolling body no glass or interior 289 motor 64.5 hardtop for 9k.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bullitt Year: 08
Bullitt Color: HG
Bullitt Serialized Number: 4492
Hey Garrett! Good to see you're still out there! I don't have any real world experience selling a car like that, as I'm still holding on to the only '60's car I've ever bought. You might check with the South Central Mustang Club and let them know what you have. I don't know what's coming up in your area for car shows, but you might park it at a couple of those if you have a chance. It may be the easiest thing to do is trade with the dealer, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the best financially. Sometimes time is worth money, though. Good luck on getting something figured out!
bullit4404 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Bullitt DHG #4492
'68 Cougar 289/4-speed
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Hey Steve!!!! Thanks, I just took a look at sckmc and plan to go to one of their meetings later this month. Kinda cool to see another traditional car "club" in my area. I posted the car for sale on classic cars.com and will keep an eye out for local shows. There's an all Ford show in October at Sedgwick county Park.
Steve68Cougar likes this.

1964.5 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: B
Bullitt Serialized Number: 5245
Garage
Don't use KBB to sell a car!!!!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Mega BullittHead

Bullitt Color: TB
Bullitt Serialized Number: 3250
Hey Garrett,
All Ford Day is usually the first Sunday in October at Sedgwick County Park.
Hope to see you there.

You also might drop by Plaza West Shopping Center at Central and West on any given Friday night.
There is usually a good crowd on hand and you could get some exposure that way as well.

Good luck with the sale!

Jerry
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Thanks Jerry!! Yeah, I usually hit the central and west show on the last Friday of the month with my 4x4 club. Gonna go for the all Ford show for sure.

1964.5 Mustang Coupe
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Monster BullittHead

Well now I'm screwed. Had the car parked in the garage and managed to knock over a piece of 1x2 thick wall steel tubing on it. Wiped out the drivers rear quarter panel. I'm sick to my stomach.

1964.5 Mustang Coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the IMBOC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode