IMBOC

IMBOC (https://www.imboc.com/forums/)
-   Imboc.com Forum Support and Suggestion Box (https://www.imboc.com/forums/95-imboc-com-forum-support-suggestion-box/)
-   -   what is going on with the site (https://www.imboc.com/forums/95-imboc-com-forum-support-suggestion-box/358129-what-going-site.html)

VIC-TIM 09-26-2017 11:58 PM

what is going on with the site

each day, at times, getting slower to load pages and posts. replied to the thread on the black bullitt voting for the calendar....took over two minutes for a one sentence reply to load on the page. not happening on any other site for me.

VIC-TIM 09-26-2017 11:59 PM

^^^ just over one minute to load that one

Tony Alonso 09-27-2017 12:16 AM

Hey, Tim,

We did have an issue before with the response time of the site awhile back. What web browser are you using and on what computer platform? Last time, this was noticed, we had to do a computer trace and then send some diagnostic information to VerticalScope.

Is it all the web pages you've visited today? When was the first time you've noticed it?

VIC-TIM 09-27-2017 11:09 AM

firefox and (ugh) windows 10. this is the only site. has been doing it intermittently over the last week at least.

pwd72s 09-27-2017 01:19 PM

Internet explorer and windows 7 here. I've noticed it as well. Not always. It's as fast as other sites around midnight Pacific time. Maybe the amount of net traffic has a factor?

RonReam 09-27-2017 06:35 PM

Traffic is backed up at the border.

Tony Alonso 09-27-2017 10:50 PM

Tim, how's it today for you? If it's still slow, let me know and we will set up a session to capture some diagnostic data for VerticalScope. What I notice periodically is what looks like continued loading in Firefox I am running on Windows 7.

Thanks!

VIC-TIM 09-28-2017 12:38 PM

better yesterday and so far ok today.

hoosierblackbullitt 09-28-2017 09:50 PM

Slow on mobile too. But, I use the desktop version and not the "Enhanced View."

Tony Alonso 09-29-2017 03:19 PM

Hello, Administrator,

I'd like to get some help to debug a slow performance problem that has been reported by a couple of folks in this thread.

I notice that for the past several weeks, I see "working" icons appearing in the tabs of my Firefox browser when access various pages. For me, I've spent the most time in the Voting Booth section creating new polls in the last few days. While I am able to get information posted, I still see the "blue donuts" indicating that the web page is either still being loaded or waiting on something.

I've previously seen this symptom before when other people had noticed slow performance with forms for replying to posts or creating new posts would take minutes to load. When I worked with the development people, I was able to capture some trace data from the Firefox browser and post it to a trace file capture site so they could download it. They found something in the web page code that was looping, resulting in slow performance.

Would someone please contact me so we can do some debugging and get this issue fixed? It's important at this time because our calendar voting polls need to have people able to use them and not wait minutes to get a response.

Thank you!

Tony Alonso 09-29-2017 03:54 PM

PS - I use Firefox 53.0.3 on a Windows 7 computer with 8GB of RAM. The original poster also uses Firefox but on a Windows 10 computer. As you see in the response above mine, another person sees slow response on a mobile device.

RonReam 09-29-2017 04:51 PM

Loading a site such as this does many more things than most people could imagine.

Links to advertisers, web-use monitors, many more sites that have nothing to do with the Site, but have a Lot to do with monitoring what you are doing.

Like the sites which pop up an advertisement on IMBOC showing the same thing you just surfed Amazon about.

All this takes bandwidth.

Fact of life on a site which places ad-clicks over member satisfaction.

And then if you happen to click on a sub-forum in which someone has posted a lot of large pictures, you may as well go grab a sandwich.

Tony Alonso 09-29-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonReam (Post 3596761)
Loading a site such as this does many more things than most people could imagine.

Links to advertisers, web-use monitors, many more sites that have nothing to do with the Site, but have a Lot to do with monitoring what you are doing.

Like the sites which pop up an advertisement on IMBOC showing the same thing you just surfed Amazon about.

All this takes bandwidth.

Fact of life on a site which places ad-clicks over member satisfaction.

And then if you happen to click on a sub-forum in which someone has posted a lot of large pictures, you may as well go grab a sandwich.

Yes, it does take bandwidth, but I think there is something programatic going on in the background with respect to the click tracking. We've seen this before, where some callouts were taking longer than expected. I helped a couple of folks when saw this, and VerticalScope had to make a change, which eliminated the waiting.

RonReam 09-29-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 3596769)
Yes, it does take bandwidth, but I think there is something programatic going on in the background with respect to the click tracking. We've seen this before, where some callouts were taking longer than expected. I helped a couple of folks when saw this, and VerticalScope had to make a change, which eliminated the waiting.

A situation which does not tend to change my observation about excessive and intentional click-tracking activities...

Tony Alonso 09-29-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonReam (Post 3596793)
A situation which does not tend to change my observation about excessive and intentional click-tracking activities...

Right. Clearly that's going on here since this forum is commercially owned. I am hoping that we get some response so we can work on...well, the response!