IMBOC

IMBOC (https://www.imboc.com/forums/)
-   08/09 Mods (https://www.imboc.com/forums/225-08-09-mods/)
-   -   A few minor functional mods - any suggestions? (https://www.imboc.com/forums/225-08-09-mods/369489-few-minor-functional-mods-any-suggestions.html)

Bullitt 3337 06-01-2018 12:46 AM

A few minor functional mods - any suggestions?

My Bullitt is a fun summer daily driver with fairly high mileage (not a show car or a collector car) so I am not really too interested in appearance mods, but I am considering a few functional mods and would appreciate any advice or suggestions regarding recommended mods or makes of parts etc.

I currently have the following in my shopping cart online at CJ Pony Parts:

https://i.imgur.com/8ZeyGTol.png?1

Air filter: The car came with a K&N, but I am thinking oem paper filters would be a safer long term solution (filtering more fine particles than the K&N). I live in a semi-rural moderately dusty area.

Rear control arms: I have noticed quite a lot of wheel hop under hard acceleration from rest, and the RCA seems to be a highly recommended option.

Shifter: I find the stock shifter very balky at times. It works well when shifted slowly and gently, but when trying to shift quickly it really sucks. Is the Barton a good choice?

I guess I should add that the car is fairly stock, the only significant changes so far are the FRS 500 axle back exhaust and 255/45-18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. My goal is to achieve maximum performance on a low budget and maintain stock appearance and stock ride height.

Cheers

B3NN3TT 06-01-2018 10:06 AM

I have a set of Steeda rear LCA's that are pretty much exactly like those; very pleased with the performance; wheel hop is not an issue any more. The noise from the rear differential is much more pronounced when cornering, as there is less slop in the bushings to absorb the noise, so it's transmitted into the cabin. But if you don't mind a little more noise, it's a good upgrade.

Barton is pretty well-regarded for shifters, probably second only to MGW. I have a Roush and I hate it.

MustangMan 06-01-2018 10:07 AM

Lower control arms for sure they got rid of my wheel hop. Go with your favorite brand. I personally don't mind the stock shifter, but I have heard barton or MGW are the 2 of choice.

bullit4404 06-01-2018 11:16 AM

LCA's sound good, you can get some with softer bushings for less noise transfer. Check Steeda's street version out. Another shifter will help some, but 3650's are not the most fast shifting transmissions. In other words, you can shift faster than the synchos are capable of meshing. But, that said, a better shifter will be more precise; and noise transfer or shifter vibration may be an issue.
I like the paper AF as well. Have fun.

JackDW - 852 06-01-2018 11:29 AM

I highly suggest you consider struts and shocks. Helps ride and handling of the car.

saleen428 06-01-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackDW - 852 (Post 3693953)
I highly suggest you consider struts and shocks. Helps ride and handling of the car.

I highly recommend Bilstein shocks and struts. Their refined control is second to none. Transformed my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIC-TIM 06-01-2018 01:57 PM

probably out of all those you picked, the lower control arms will make the most difference. but, as advised, be ready for more nvh in the cabin as the poly bushings transmit much more noise. some people who never heard gear whine hear it after the change and think there is something wrong with the diff. not so, just less to inhibit the noise. worth it.

pwd72s 06-01-2018 04:01 PM

I'm still running the stock shifter, but based on reading here & other places, if I was going to change, I'd probably call these guys:

https://www.mgwshifters.com/

VIC-TIM 06-01-2018 04:51 PM

the mgw is supposed to be really good. only drawback for me was you cannot change the handle on those shifters. I like being able to change handles to get the height and angles I like better. Had a steeda triax at first in my Bullitt and hated it. very notchy and noisy. went to a hurst and was happy. have a pro 5.0 in my cobra and am very happy with it also.

Bullitt 3337 06-01-2018 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I was not aware of the extra noise issue with the poly bushings on the LCAs, so really appreciate the heads up. I will look into the softer bushings available as suggested.

Regarding the shocks and stuts, I appreciate the suggestions and will certainly consider upgrading in the future, but they are not in the budget this year.

MGW looks like a good alternative for shifters, they appear to only sell direct which may be an issue for shipping to Canada, but I will look into it.

bullit4404 06-01-2018 10:53 PM

If that's the case, have UPS ship to their warehouse near the border and nip over and pick it up. I used to do that with R compound tires. A certain company (Kal Tire) had an exclusive on Nitto tires in Canada, and they added like 50% markup. So I'd order from Discount tire, shipped to UPS warehouse in Fort Erie, and I'd pick them up there. Cross the border, pay your GST, done.

TrueBlue02058 06-02-2018 12:06 PM

Have You looked at an MGW Short Throw Shifter ? I put one in mine 2 years ago, they are the best on the market.

Bullitt 3337 06-02-2018 12:42 PM

This kind of info is exactly why I appreciate this forum so much. After some more research, I am pretty sure the Barton shifter is off the table and the MGW is the way to go.
Thanks

Bullitt 3337 06-02-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullit4404 (Post 3694249)
If that's the case, have UPS ship to their warehouse near the border and nip over and pick it up. I used to do that with R compound tires. A certain company (Kal Tire) had an exclusive on Nitto tires in Canada, and they added like 50% markup. So I'd order from Discount tire, shipped to UPS warehouse in Fort Erie, and I'd pick them up there. Cross the border, pay your GST, done.

This was my plan also. I am planning a trip to to Washington State at the end of June. I was hoping to find one supplier for all the items I needed in order to simplify things. But 2 orders (MGW & CJ Pony Parts) is doable.

Bullitt 3337 06-02-2018 01:02 PM

Would the Ford Racing lower control arms be a better compromise? ie: reduced wheel hop AND less NVH?