IMBOC

IMBOC (https://www.imboc.com/forums/)
-   19/20 Mechanical Issues (https://www.imboc.com/forums/457-19-20-mechanical-issues/)
-   -   Post any MT82 Transmission issues here: (https://www.imboc.com/forums/457-19-20-mechanical-issues/374509-post-any-mt82-transmission-issues-here.html)

Tonykart22 08-20-2019 02:33 PM

Post any MT82 Transmission issues here:

Just starting a thread due to discussions starting in an unrelated thread. Please post any issues (and solutions) of issues with the MT-82 transmission in your Bullitt here.

Tonykart22 08-20-2019 02:36 PM

Quoted from the used 2019's thread. Thanks OP for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BULLITT02734 (Post 3738789)
Sorry for the delayed response. So, I just got mine back from the dealer. Have three issues with transmission.

This is what those issues are along with their current stance on them:

1. Most concerning (now that they think they know what issue # 3 issue is) - harsh, crunchy 1st to 2nd shift. Tech said yes, for sure it’s there. Much worse when cold. Improves slightly when vehicle has been driven and transmission is at operating temp. Never goes completely away. Tech is their resident “transmission guy” at a fairly high-volume Mustang dealer and says that the only thing Ford has allowed them to do for this was change the fluids so far and that helps some but in ones he has seen as bad as mine it never “fixes” it so he elected to leave mine alone until issues 2&3 are dealt with.

2. Often hard to engage 3rd gear out of a 4000 rpm + shift. Feels tight. He says that is the nature of this transmission unfortunately but says I should be thankful I don’t have an early one as they were much worse. Basically said wait till it breaks. Really concerning seeing how in exactly one year of ownership I have only 5,000 kms on it.

3. This one is the stumper and has me worried that a) maybe he hasn’t seen enough Mustang transmissions of this generation to really know what is goin on and b) Ford is compensating for a known issue. The transmission has a rattling or ratcheting sound and feel coming out of a 2-3 and 3-4 shift while mildly spirited driving. Really worrisome noise. Higher the rpm shift it is, the worse it is. Sounds mechanical for sure. First time I was in for this problem they said to play with the traction control and rev matching. I did, no difference. Nothing at all to do with tire grip or traction control. Today he puts it on the hoist and shows me they think it is an issue with the counterweight on the right side of the transmission. What worries me is he has never seen or noticed one of these on them before. It is loose where it connects with a pin on the outside to a rod into the internals. I’ll take a pic once I get it up on my rack at home here. Looks like an upside down ‘T’, painted black. If you grab it you can see play in the pin and it makes a very similar noise to what you hear in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullit4404 08-20-2019 07:37 PM

I've mentioned before; shift forks, and gear and synchronizer meshing issues. Sounds like it's going to break something. Don't baby it, if it breaks, they'll have to fix it. Sorry you have to deal with this.

sganow 08-21-2019 12:40 PM

You'd think after all these years they'd have this stuff figured out! Shift fork and synchro issues have been plaguing trannys for years. Is it really that difficult?

bullit4404 08-21-2019 04:33 PM

If it was straight cut gears, like a "dog box,"(no synchros) easy peasy. Mass producing helical gears is tricky. Lets say the whole set of gears was made with new cutter bits on the machine. Probably be great. If 1st gear counter shaft is the 10th gear made and 1st gear main shaft is the 1st gear made, maybe not such a good match. Shift forks a little misaligned, worse. Tolerances for production gearboxes are within a range so....

POJ 1 08-21-2019 07:58 PM

I just love mine!

bullit4404 08-22-2019 07:43 PM

Glad you got a good one.

BULLITT02734 08-22-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POJ 1 (Post 3738937)
I just love mine!

I love mine too. Just going to drive it through my dealer’s showroom window if this tranny grenades out of warranty and they don’t do anything about it! [emoji2957]

K4310 08-26-2019 10:52 AM

I have the same issue when shifting into 3rd at higher RPM's. Doesn't want to go in smoothly and grinds. Always over the 4k RPM mark.

sganow 08-26-2019 12:26 PM

Same issue my son has with his Mustang GT. It has gotten worse. He has it in the shop now. I wonder if they'll find anything? I wonder if they will cover it under warranty? He has headers and exhaust and a tune.

pwd72s 08-26-2019 01:06 PM

I remember reading that Ford went from Tremec to Getrag (sp?) as their manual trans supplier. Is this true? Also think I read that the 350GT's get a Tremec while the lesser models get the Chinese Getrag? Hmmm.

bullit4404 08-26-2019 05:22 PM

All true Paul, and the Getrags are made in China not Germany.

BULLITT02734 08-26-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullit4404 (Post 3739227)
All true Paul, and the Getrags are made in China not Germany.

Too bad Trump didn’t jam tariffs on these too before Ford decided to use the pieces of crap.

Tony Alonso 08-26-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwd72s (Post 3739191)
I remember reading that Ford went from Tremec to Getrag (sp?) as their manual trans supplier. Is this true? Also think I read that the 350GT's get a Tremec while the lesser models get the Chinese Getrag? Hmmm.

The Getrag MT-82 was first introduced for the 2011 model year, so it's been awhile. It's gone through three iterations since that time. Regardless of the country of manufacture, it's a German-engineered transmission.

BULLITT02734 08-26-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 3739255)
The Getrag MT-82 was first introduced for the 2011 model year, so it's been awhile. It's gone through three iterations since that time. Regardless of the country of manufacture, it's a German-engineered transmission.

I manage a 60+ year old Canadian company that manufactures both here and offshore. Everything we offer is engineered in Canada. Still get crap out of China that was engineered here and is consistently rejected once it gets here regardless of how much “quality control” they put in place prior to it shipping out from there.