Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post newness, yay.

Bought my first Bullitt: '01, Black, 62k

The trouble is the engine bay is gross (Specifically the intake manifold). Lots of oxidation.

I was going to pull it off and clean it but I don't want to reuse the same gasket. I've searched online and all I find are two-piece versions that are"supposed" to fit. According to Autozone, OReilly, etc.

These concern me because according to the ford diagram, the gasket is a single "block-y" shaped piece.

Does anyone know if these two-piece replacements will actually work or what I can do to find the correct gasket?

Thanks in advance.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Go to the dealer and get the original if you take it apart.
Shampoo the engine and remove all guck before opening the engine up. Those manifolds can lose their sealing surfaces or crack after a while. If you remove it, you may end up having to replace it. It may actually break if you take it apart. They were known for cracking and fastening inserts pulling out.
If it's not leaking, maybe a good shampoo will do the job. I suggest you do not use a power washer.
Clean er up and then you can mask and spray paint to spiff it up.
In 2005 there was a TSB to replace defective manifolds ie cracked, leaky etc. Check with a Ford dealer if yours was done, and if so, maybe you don't want to take it apart. 2008 was the last extension of the warranty. If is hasn't been done.......$$$$

Oh and welcome to club

PS The updated manifolds can be identified by a cast piece of aluminum at the front and an updated alternator bracket. A new one is about $400.

·
Car Whisperer
21,330 Posts
I think you are talking about the gt manifolds, not a bullitt manifold. the bullitt manifold is all aluminum and no cracking issues I have ever heard. the gt manifold is a plastic material and did have cracking issues, especially around the crossover/thermostat which on the originals were the same plastic and then was eventually replaced with the aluminum crossover. the recall was for that manifold, not the Bulllitt manifold. two very different manifolds.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I think you are talking about the gt manifolds, not a bullitt manifold. the bullitt manifold is all aluminum and no cracking issues I have ever heard. the gt manifold is a plastic material and did have cracking issues, especially around the crossover/thermostat which on the originals were the same plastic and then was eventually replaced with the aluminum crossover. the recall was for that manifold, not the Bulllitt manifold. two very different manifolds.
Thanks for clarifying that one...I was like :surprise: I already have enough crap to worry about, don't need no more!

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Serpent. I've never done an 01 Bullit manifold. I thought they used plastic like the GT's. That's good news for 01 owners, and I'd still use a Ford gasket.
Sorry for the mix up. I've been a Master Technician for over 35 years, can't remember everything.

·
Car Whisperer
21,330 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that one...I was like :surprise: I already have enough crap to worry about, don't need no more!
Thanks for the clarification Serpent. I've never done an 01 Bullit manifold. I thought they used plastic like the GT's. That's good news for 01 owners, and I'd still use a Ford gasket.
Sorry for the mix up. I've been a Master Technician for over 35 years, can't remember everything.
No problem guys....that's what we are all here for...to learn from each other!!!

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use Purple Power to clean my engine bay. Works Great! I'd go to the dealership to see i you can get an originl gasket for the Bullitt intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts