Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to cars, so I don't know much...how is our stock exhaust setup? Does it go from headers to catalytic converter, to muffler, to exhaust? I'm not sure how it works, can someone explain everything starting from the motor down to the end? Also, is a catback when the exhaust bends up like a cat's back? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It has an "H" pipe with 6 small cats on it!
Then it has the "Cat Back" (Mufflers and the pipe part that goes over the rear axle).
Then the tips on the ends of the pipes at the rear.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I really knew about the car was that it was an H pipe. Right underneath the driver's and passenger's seat there's a big block type thing with what I believe to be a heat shield...what's inside that heat shield, the catalytic convert, or the muffler? Also, what's a silencer, another word for a muffler? Lastly, what exactly is a catback? Thanks once again, and I appreciate your help thus far!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you look on the H pipe you will find 4 or 6 catalytic converters (can't remember for sure but I thought there were 6) and yes, they have heat shields.

A silencer is the plastic tube that is on the air filter box that sticks thru from the engine compartment to the fender on the passenger side.

A "Cat Back" is exactly what I said. It is the rest of the exhaust system to the rear of the end of the H pipe.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Maybe it'd be helpful to say that "catback" is just a way of saying, catalytic converter/back. Meaning the exhaust system from the catalytic converter back to the muffler or tailpipe.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
On the bullitts there are only 4 cats and the stock system is suppose to be 2&1/4 inches but its not, is not quite 2 inches in some spots.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
From the engine back: Exhaust manifold (no stock headers) to the h-pipe or mid pipe that contains the 4 catalytic converters to the exhaust which are pipes that have the mufflers and finally the rolled tips. So when you see the term "cat back" it means the pipes from the end of the h pipe to the exhaust tips including mufflers or from the catalytic converters back hence the "cat back reference. 2.5" exhaust tips.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Speaking of Exhaust... I have been toying with getting an O/R X or H pipe. Has anyone done this? What was the result if you have?

I am a firm believer that those 4 cats are more effective mufflers than the actual mufflers, and would like to free up the sound a little bit...

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Nyt_Muves said:
Speaking of Exhaust... I have been toying with getting an O/R X or H pipe. Has anyone done this? What was the result if you have?

I am a firm believer that those 4 cats are more effective mufflers than the actual mufflers, and would like to free up the sound a little bit...

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.
I have an O/R H and it gives you the Bullitt sound only louder. Several others have the same set up.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Your grill

DHGBULLITT said:
On the bullitts there are only 4 cats and the stock system is suppose to be 2&1/4 inches but its not, is not quite 2 inches in some spots.
How is your grill set up? I really like it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
I have an O/R H and it gives you the Bullitt sound only louder. Several others have the same set up.
I've been thinking on geting an O/R H pipe as well... do I need a short o long version? If is not to much to ask.. where did you get your from? Does it add any power to the car?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
KennyBrownBullitt1668 said:
I've been thinking on geting an O/R H pipe as well... do I need a short o long version? If is not to much to ask.. where did you get your from? Does it add any power to the car?

Thanks in Advance!

If you are keeping the stock manifolds you will use the longer h-pipe, if you go with long tube headers they come down farther so you will have to use the shorter h-pipe. I used a MAC off road h-pipe with stock manifolds, it fits great and sounds great. MRT makes it in stainless but I thought it was to pricey. MAC is 169.00 and is aluminized. Feels alittle quicker. I think I ordered it from 50resto. Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts