Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just registered with the forum.
I have an 01 true blue with 110k miles and a blown engine.

I’mjust wondering if anyone here has ever swapped an engine from a 99-04 gt into a bullitt? And if so is it pretty straight forward, like everything the same except the intake manifold?

Also wondering what you guys think about the possibility of swapping a 4v (96-04) vs a coyote, if it’s worth the investment?

I currently have about $10k to spend and would not be able to perform the labor myself.

would like to be able to get 400-500 hp eventually with a supercharger.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Car Whisperer
21,732 Posts
for $10 you should be able to do the coyote swap.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,616 Posts
Hi Goonflex, I see you have an 01 TB Bullitt. Could you post your specific ID# here of your Bullitt that is located on the driver's side shock tower sticker so I can make sure you get on the registry. :) If the sticker is missing or the numbers are illegible, please go to the 2nd hidden sticker located under the driver's side passenger seat and under the carpet there. Here are instructions on finding it. BULLITT Archive Mustang Removing the backseat

·
Car Whisperer
21,732 Posts
don't think so.

Reactions: McFly

·
Registered
432 Posts
for $10 you should be able to do the coyote swap.
you seem to miss this part.

and would not be able to perform the labor myself.

swapping a coyote and buying the rest of the parts AND PAYING SOMEONE TO DO IT will be closer to $15K than $10K. if a high end shop does it and provides a warranty to back up their work. $15K won't even get close to the actual costs.

in my opinion for having $10K in his budget and PAYING SOMEONE TO DO THE JOB.
his best bet is installing a reman 2V long block, possibly a short block depending on what is wrong with his motor and they can use his old heads, and if they need aditional work. in my area this will probably be around $6-7K, or more depending on who does the motor and the aded cost of forging the motor for a future SC mod. if i reputable shop does the job and provides a warranty to back up their work.

i am not familiar with the early bullitt motors. on the 08-9 cars the motor is the same as a GT motor. the power difference was in the tune and the factory installed CAI.

·
Car Whisperer
21,732 Posts
not so. didn't miss the point at all. there is a local shop that does it for much less than you describe. if you purchase an early truck 5.0, they are less than 2k in local yards, then the controller. you are probably less than buying a 4v, particularly a terminator motor. so many parts are made for the swap, basically almost as easy as swapping anything else in other than just getting another used 2V. the local shop even uses the stock K member for the new edge and SN95 cars. that was my point, maybe he didn't know of the cheaper alternative...i.e., the truck 5.0

·
Registered
548 Posts
The 5.0L in my 2016 F150 is factory rated at 375 horsepower. That’s only 25 short of your bottom goal before a tune and no blower. You just need to go shopping and find a reputable shop that will work within your budget!

Additionally, there have been many engine swaps that have been documented in the forums. I know of a couple of Mach 1 4V swaps as well as a Terminator swap. Just need to do a little reading and reach out to those owners to find out the particulars.

Hope this helps in you decision.

·
Registered
595 Posts
And if so is it pretty straight forward, like everything the same except the intake manifold?
Bullitt's had different intakes (obviously), different throttle bodies, different pulleys & ran 9.4:1 compression vs. 9.0:1 on the GT motor. So, if you can get your hands on a '01 GT shortblock, you should be able to swap the Bullitt-specific parts from your blown motor onto the donor block & be good to go. That would leave lots of money for extrude-honing the intake, port matching the heads & then slapping on a power adder, which is the route I would go, personally.

Reactions: Goonflex

·
Car Whisperer
21,732 Posts
^^^ that is probably the cheapest and most cost effective way to go to get back on the road.

Reactions: 39Tudor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, after looking into the coyote prices and what not for the past week and looking at 2v motors prices as well, I think it’s probably best to stay with a 2v.

I do have a mechanic that I trust knows what he’s doing as he did clutch a while back and he owns both a s197 boss and an 03 Mach.

I don’t know my cars build # as it’s at my dads house with a spun bearing, but here’s some pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Old thread I know but finally found out my car’s number from underneath the seat. She’s #5456 and she’s getting a terminator top end from an 03 that’s already got the head cooling mod done and a ported Eaton and T56 with a WAP block.

Cobra top end at the shop borla stingers, new front (gt) bumper, 17x9/17x10.5 black saleens wrapped in 275/315 nittos 555g2/555R2s in the living room new drilled&slotted rotors, koni shocks/struts in tr
right now

She’s coming back with a vengeance boys

Hopefully getting back on the road before end of July

Attachments

·
Car Whisperer
21,732 Posts
Nice!!!! Have fun!!!!!

Reactions: Goonflex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Goonflex, I see you have an 01 TB Bullitt. Could you post your specific ID# here of your Bullitt that is located on the driver's side shock tower sticker so I can make sure you get on the registry. :) If the sticker is missing or the numbers are illegible, please go to the 2nd hidden sticker located under the driver's side passenger seat and under the carpet there. Here are instructions on finding it. BULLITT Archive Mustang Removing the backseat
Put me on the registry please I just acquired DHG 3706.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced my engine and transmission both were from an 02 gt. I had to swap water pump and pulley, alternator, valve covers, headers (the egr valve is different), coolant pipe that comes from water pump to heater core and remember to keep your serpentine belt as part stores will give you the wrong size everytime they will tell you they have it but they don't the correct serentine belt part number is 4060945 Serpentine Belt-Multi-V Goodyear Gatorback Belt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts