Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks this weekend I and the Bullitt had the pleasure having one of the UK's premier car magazines "CAR" come out to do a story on Americans and their sports cars in England. The Bullitt will be featured along with several of the other cars in my club, The American Muscle Club. Saturday the magazine guys just hung out with us however Sunday, today, they wanted to see us in action at the dragstrip. The strip is well below anything NMRA would sanction in the states but it's all we have in the area which is still an hour drive away through farm lands and dirt roads right up to the staging area! In addition to the road conditions I was forced to either let the world think the Bullitt was afraid to come to the dance and not go. Or I could drive on a day that England was experiencing one of its worst downpours. With a lot of reservation I took it out inspite of the rain and mud. Here's how it all went for my first time at a drag strip here or back in the US.
1st Run
Waited for it to stop raining and for the track to be dried. Got paired with a Vortech supercharged Dodge Dakota R/T 5.9L.
Went around the water in my lane (yeah right I'm in England) Did a quick spin to try to clean the mud off the Nitto DR's staged, 2500 to 2800 rpm (don't really know for sure 'cause my heart was reving higher and it felt like the whole world was watching...me and #01333). Yellow---Yellow---lots of yellow bang!!!! I'm off, sliding then spinning through 1st to 2nd. 2nd spinning again but so anxious I try to force the shift and missed even with my tri-ax. Banging for 3rd finally goes in then shift again into 4th!!! just before crossing the line. 60 ft 2.28 1/4 ET 14.681 98.12 MPH
2nd Run
Calmed down a bit and tried to learn from my performance and made note to self let shifter shift, and ease out clutch. Staged in the same way this time rpms at 2000 - 2200
same pairing as before. Lights lights go!!!!
Spinning in 1st to 2nd, chirpping 2nd to 3rd shifting at 5900, 3rd to 4th shifting at redline just before crossing.
60 FT 2.380 1/4 ET 14.570 99.38 MPH

As for numbers see the post "Santa Pod timeslips". I basically waxed the Dodge (wish it were a Charger) Dakota. However, as you'll see from the timeslips traction was a big problem as well as poor driving skills. The only car in the club of an Impala SS, 97 Formula Firebird, 87 LX, 96 GT SVO Supercharged, and Turbo Jetta, that beat me was my pesky friend with his equally pesky Z06 (I'll eat him up once my Roush has recovered). Anyway I think he ran a 12.8 at 111mph.

Had a great day inspite of it all, but I definitely need more drag strip practice because judging by my traps and horrendous 60ft's, and the 90% plus humidity I know that I have a low 13 car. Perhaps with a different driver. I'll redeem myself at the autocross track.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-08-19 16:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-08-19 16:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
586 Posts
We're proud to have been represented by you! More than anything, you took the job seriously and gave it the good 'ol Yankee wail! Cheers, to you! And, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another interesting sidenote. I was just checking out the horsepower calculator on www.corral.net and based on my trap speed and my vehicle weight it gives me an estimated 258 HP. Coincidently (or not) that is exactly what my last dyno pull showed before I shipped #01333 over here. Thanks for the comments guys.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Good runs Roushaven,considering the conditions! And I thought my track, VMP, was bad! I can't imagine myself driving thru rain and mud to get to the track......You da man!

·
Registered
393 Posts
that's not too bad rr, especially if the track sucked. I would have anticipated a little higher trap speed considering your dyno numbers, so that's kind of a mystery?

what psi did you try running the nittos at?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nittos were at 20 psi. According to my friends however I never really hooked up until 3rd gear

·
Registered
959 Posts
Very cool! Be sure to post the article when it come out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure will FordBullitt. After getting back from my trip last night, I spoke with Paul Svinicki to get some tips on how to shove #1333 down the track so a "part two" is in the works. In the meantime I'll be working on my launch on a backstreet.

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-24 02:08, roushraven99 wrote:
I sure will FordBullitt. After getting back from my trip last night, I spoke with Paul Svinicki to get some tips on how to shove #1333 down the track so a "part two" is in the works. In the meantime I'll be working on my launch on a backstreet.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
roushraven99 Paul S. is a great driver! If you don't mind can you share the tips you got from Paul S. with us? :-B

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ray, Paul told me how he launched the Bullitt at Atlanta. Staged at 4500 rpm for the launch rpm and moderated the thottle pedal to find the sweet spot for traction to get going out off the line. Once finding traction he throttled up to the shifting point about 5800 rpms and repeated until crossing (3rd gear for him do to the stock rear end gears I suppose). He told me to do the same with the key being moderating the throttle for traction during that first 60 feet. Also he mentioned that I should inflate the front tires to 40 (or was it 60 I'll have to check my notes again later). As for using my Nitto DR's he suggested 15-18 psi because once I heated them the tire pressure would be about 5 psi higher. He also said to take out the spare and jack and have about 1/4 to just under a 1/2 tank of gas. Finally, he suggested that I disconnect the front sway bar a link. I'll pass on more after I communicate with him again.

1,169 Posts
Thanks for passing that along.I'm sure your right about 40 lbs in front but let me know after you check your notes.If you get anymore info please let us know.Also are you using the Bullitt wheels with the Nitto's?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes on the stock Bullitt wheels Ray, 275 40 17 for the DR's and 245 45 17 for the front 555 extremes. Can't find my notes on the front air pressure but I'll keep looking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts