Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask you guys what you thought of the 03 cobras? I know they are awsome and I love them. Do any of you have one and can you share your troubles that you may have had with it if any?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I don't own one personally, but several members of my club own them and I have driven and worked on plenty of them. They are very stout cars. IMO, the best performance based Mustang built since the late 60s. As for problems, the only one that I have heard more than once is regarding a head tick on the driver's side. There is a fix for this, though I am not exactly sure what it is. Depending on what the goal is for the car, some swap out the IRS for a solid rear. Wheel hop and IRS spells snapped half shaft. That being said, there are several IRS equipped Cobras out there running well into the 9s. The engine in the 03/04s in a performance marvel. It doesn't take much money or parts to crack 500rwhp. Open up the exhaust, slap on a JLT CAI, 2.8 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, a tune, and go have some fun.

Here is a video I did of a buddy's 04 Comp Orange vert on the dyno. This was with a slipping clutch and losing some boost.
http://www.4fit.mustangsofburlington.com/Vids/MarkDyno.wmv

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
a great ride, no problems except the right foot does get heavy.

·
Car Whisperer
20,796 Posts
What I would trade the B for only.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like he said

Agree. Only thing I would trade the Bullitt on., A terminator.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have personally seen a couple of stock 03 Cobra's with just a Steeda CAI make an extra true 18rwhp/22rwtq. Just like 4fit I have witnessed plenty 03/04 Cobra's with upgraded exhaust, aftermarket CAI, 2.8 pulley and a Predator tune make anywhere from 490-520rwhp. Pretty freakin' awesome! :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I like the hood. The engine maybe sweet, but it's more than what I would want for my purposes. It would be good for bragging rights. Then again that's like being all hat and no cattle. Ya gotta know how to drive the thing because it's a pretty serious piece of work!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I had a chance to buy a low milage 03' COBRA vert. for 25k OBO. I hesitated due to insurance issues, but from what I read I'm sorry I don't have one. I would still keep my BULLITT though it would feel really slow compaired to a Terminator!

·
Registered
591 Posts
A buddy of mine bought one new in '03 and did all the basic bolt-ons including the smaller pulley and made 450rwhp. We did the 2004 hot rod magazine power tour with that car, so I had some extended driving time. It was a blast! And it was part of what motivated me to get busy modding the Bullitt by picking up the Vortec. It takes a little more cash and effort to get the 2-valve cars in the same league as the '03-'04 Cobras, but it can be done and for the price difference of the two vehicles, it all comes out about the same. For me personally, I prefer the simplicity of the 2V and I wanted to make my power gains more gradually.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DavidMidgley said:
I like the hood. The engine maybe sweet, but it's more than what I would want for my purposes. It would be good for bragging rights. Then again that's like being all hat and no cattle. Ya gotta know how to drive the thing because it's a pretty serious piece of work!

My 87 GT is putting 390hp and 405tq at the rear wheels, so I think I am capable of driving the 03,04 cobras. I would leave the cobra all stock no mods. Anyway, head tick on drivers side heard about that also. I tried looking it up but the stuff I seen didnt explain very well what it was, you guys got any more info?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
54deuce said:
Anyway, head tick on drivers side heard about that also. I tried looking it up but the stuff I seen didnt explain very well what it was, you guys got any more info?
The info below was just provided to me by one of the most knowledgable Cobra folks I know. Hope it gives you the info you need.

"The head tick is caused because one of the valves on the rear driver side head when it does not receive enough cooling and therefore warps a little which in turn causes the tick. It is a design flaw within the head. The fix is to completely remove the head and modify it or get one of the new set of heads Ford put out. One of the preventive pieces they make now is the even flow head cooling mod and another system that escapes me at this moment. Some Cobras get the tick and then some do not. High Speed runs will increase the chance of it because of the tight cylinder to wall clearance that increases the temps significantly."

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4fit? said:
The info below was just provided to me by one of the most knowledgable Cobra folks I know. Hope it gives you the info you need.

"The head tick is caused because one of the valves on the rear driver side head when it does not receive enough cooling and therefore warps a little which in turn causes the tick. It is a design flaw within the head. The fix is to completely remove the head and modify it or get one of the new set of heads Ford put out. One of the preventive pieces they make now is the even flow head cooling mod and another system that escapes me at this moment. Some Cobras get the tick and then some do not. High Speed runs will increase the chance of it because of the tight cylinder to wall clearance that increases the temps significantly."
Thank you.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I think they were the best Mustangs for the money. The engines were over built for the average Joe,with aftermarket race type rods and pistons. Much stronger than the 2007/08 GT-500 engine.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I LOVE my '03 Cobra. I'm currently at 450 rwhp and 461 tq with my mods. I have a Whipple that should be here any day.. and the new numbers I am aiming for are 600 rwhp. If my Bullitt had the 03/04 Cobra motor I would have NEVER sold it. I still love the look of the 01 Bullitt.

My '03 Terminator...

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Green Bullitt I like your Cobra :wink:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I love my 03 cobra. The looks of my old 01 Bullitt was amazing, and the cobra does ride a little heavier and higher, but the extra hp and pull in every gear is hard to dislike.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Green Bullitt: How's the other car and do you miss the Pantera??????????

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Green Bullitt said:
Thanks! Here is the best part.... thinking it's a familiar view for you too. HA HA!

yep :smile:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts