Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody else wondering when Ford is going to complete the Sync System for the 08/09 Bullitts. The Bullitt came equiped with the initial system so it was part of the purchase price! I wonder if there is an aftermarket computer chip that would do it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have Sync in my Fusion.... the Bullitt doesn't have it... man, it makes life easier!!

There are several aftermarket systems; but I know of no "chip" for the factory units. You would also have to have the external controls on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
There is going to be no system for the '08/'09 cars from Ford at all. It is an option for the '10 cars, but since it is a separate "computer" that interfaces with the radio, the radio has to be able to accept these new signals, and the car has to be equipt with a usb port/steering wheel controls/display for the sync system to be complete. All Bullitts built (that I am aware of) do not have this capability.

Aftermarket- different story all together. Pioneer makes 4 radios that have the "sync" system in it- the AVIC-F90/F900/F700/F500. The first two are Nav/DVD/usb iPod/SD/Sat radio control units. The 700 gives up DVD for CD, and the 500 is a "portable". I have tested the 900 in :b01: 02445 and found it to be lacking in many regards. It was slow (almost a minute boot up every time you turn the key on), Nav was 6 out of 10, and iPod voice control was horrible. Bluetooth worked OK until it locked my phone up when I dialed out (on about the 5th phone call I made). To say I hated this radio would be an understatement. I almost put my fist through it several times. Unfortunately, Pioneer is the ONLY aftermarket manufacturer with this type of system right now (might be different after CES in January), and guess who builds the radios for Ford (Shaker 500/1000 and Nav)? Pioneer. And the radios in the Fusion/Focus (and others w/sync)? Yep, Pioneer.

The Ford sync system is such a great system, because they were in R&D for almost 3 years with it. Pioneer was only 6 months. If you really like the idea of a system like the Sync, let the aftermarket catch up, and work the bugs out of the systems that are out there. One thing I do know about the Pioneers is they are totally rewritable (from a software standpoint) and there are guys out there recoding those things to do amazing things. Since I am not all that great with software coding or understanding how some of these programs want to work, I never really messed with anything on mine until I sold it.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I may not be installing anymore, but I remember a thing or two!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Screw SYNC. Microsoft CRAP.

Anything Microsoft can go dig a hole and die in it.

There are alot of options in the aftermarket that don't support monopolistic money holes.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The SYNC system from Microsoft works amazingly well. The system has some pretty advanced features and is easy to use. Microsoft is a good research and development company. They are just a prime example of success in a Free Market system. I mean come on, couple of drop outs start a software firm in their garage and a couple years later they are the most successful software company. If they didn't, someone else would have. There is ALWAYS a number 1; and they are almost always hated on because they are number 1.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've lived long enough without the SYNC system. I think I can do without it on the B.

I'm sure it provides a lot of convenience, as does steering wheel audio controls, heated seats, etc.

It took a bare bones daily driver with no power windows and door locks like I have to realize I really don't need much, but hey that's just me.

I don't miss what I never had.

·
Registered
76 Posts
NoCal Tom said:
I found this 09 on ebay and it has "sync system" at $550 listed as an option and a keyless remote looking thing on the dash next to the radio. What is Sync, anyway?
I'd like to know what it is too, anyone?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I found a video that explains the Ford Sync system pretty well and this list of Ford vehicles on which it's installed.

I also found that the system has been installed in 2009 F150's, F350's, and Fusions, all which happened to have a November 2008 build month.

The connectors look like this, F350 top and Fusion (in console) bottom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.