Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all + Merry Christmas,

Please be patient with this question, I know it has probably been asked numerous times in the past:

My Bullitt has 1050 miles on her so far. The first 500 miles I drove her easy; the last 500 I drove her a little harder but didn't abuse her. I started her up yesterday and saw a small cloud of white smoke exit out the rear. The small white cloud of smoke did not continue as I warmed her up. I checked my oil level and it showed that I was at least a 1/4 or closer to 1/2 down on my oil stick.

My first thought was that the rings and pistons need time to set and it's normal to use this amount of oil during break-in and the white puff of smoke is also normal? But, I'm not a mechanic or pretend to be. I have an average knowledge of how to service an engine. I will be taking her in next week for her first oil change.

Is the above issue with the oil level normal during break-in? Do I need to worry about the smoke? Your thoughts are appreciated!:confused:

Thank You.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think the puff of smoke you saw may actually be steam from condensation in the exhaust; nothing to worry about. I have a hard time resisting to nail the throttle with the TCS off... and I've only got a couple hundred miles on mine. I really should take it easy though, like you have be doing. I do make sure to warm it up, before jumping on it.

Just keep the oil level in the mid range on the dipstick, and drive it normally. Most important is to vary the engine speed alot during break in (no steady cruise in 5th yet), and I also believe in changing engine oil a few times (like 2-3) during the first couple thousand miles. I think it helps flush out anything left there during assembly. My 2¢.

:dhg08:

BTW - this is my first post here. Hi everyone! I bought my '08 Bullitt this month. :)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I broke mine in on the way home from the Dealership: Runs strong, uses NO oil, have had ZERO problems in ~15k miles since March of '08.

The dipstick is not correct - last oil change 6qts was put in, still showed ~1/2-qt down immediately after. Don't overfill it, no matter HOW tempting it may be to bring it up to "full" on the stick. Just know that THAT place is "full".

Drive the damn car; you're not doing it or yourself any favours by babyin' it.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
no worries, mine did / does the same thing and no issues at all ( 12k+ on my 08 )

side note: my 07 shelby gt did it a lot more and no issues what so-ever after 24k miles and less then a year of ownership

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
JC2954 hit the nail on the head. Sometimes the dip stick is not accurate. After you have the oil and filter changed, check the oil level and that will be your full mark. You have over 1,000 miles so you are ready to go.

I do not believe in making the first oil change too early. While the factory uses the same oil you get when the dealer changes the oil, when the engine is assembled, they put assembly lube on the cam, lifters and bearing. This lube washes off into the oil resuling in additional zinc and other compounds that helps the engine to break in, so I don't like to change the oil to early. With the roller lifters in today's engines, this is not as critical but, like you, I still prefer to take a safe approach during the first few miles.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I'm still breakin' in DHG1248 .... only 5700 miles. In Michigan she gets a lot of rest this time of year.

Baaaaaaad winter so far and its only the second day of winter. It came very early ..... hope it don't stay late. Baby wants to run.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The white smoke you saw, as others have noted, is normal condensation. It has nothing to do with oil. If oil was escaping past the rings in a significant quantity, you would see BLUE smoke.

Smoke color (generally)

White= water
Blue= oil
Black= fuel

Also, read the manual pages 241-243 on how to properly check the oil. If you don't follow the procedure you risk getting an inaccurate reading.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YGBSM said:
The white smoke you saw, as others have noted, is normal condensation. It has nothing to do with oil. If oil was escaping past the rings in a significant quantity, you would see BLUE smoke.

Smoke color (generally)

White= water
Blue= oil
Black= fuel

Also, read the manual pages 241-243 on how to properly check the oil. If you don't follow the procedure you risk getting an inaccurate reading.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the advice and perspective!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being the ripe olde age of 59 with this being my 2nd Mustang ( '05 GT Mineral Grey w/red leather ) I have always gone by the addage "Drive it like you stole it!" I'm not saying
to forget about the routine maintenance or ignoring strange noises, but DRIVE the Bullitt.
It's what we in the street drags of yester year called a "sleeper"

Merry Holidaze - Key West saying = Drink more rum !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some people abide by their own extensive break-in strategies. Some change engine speeds to include no loafing in 5th during the first 1000 miles. Others change their oil several times before 7500 miles.
The owner's manual says their really isn't too involved a break-in needed. Me personally, I think in a modern engine like this one, I fore-go all in-depth stuff. I'm not going to drag race it at every stop light, but I didn't pay hard earned money to buy a muscle car and not drive like it was meant to be.
Years ago, people would have to rebuild an engine after 30,000 miles. Nowadays, we complain when we don't get a 150,000 miles out of one.
So I guess this is my long-winded way of saying have fun with it, but maybe not overboard until it's got a few thousand on it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
...driving the bullitt is a lot like eating those mushrooms in college...i just can't wipe the smile off my face. happy motoring
Those always made my stomach ache.

:dhg08:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bullitt 3484 has just over 20k miles, new in Apr 08. My wife drove it to work about 15 miles locally each way for two weeks. I picked up and put 700 interstate miles on it the next day. It has run 70 miles a day on I10 since then, with lots of added interstate trips. No problems that I know of, still puts a smile on my face when it gets playful. The dash shows 23.9 mpg. Never been below 21, but I have seen some 24. Garmin said it went from Mobile to Montgomery with a moving average speed of 78.8 mph, but who knows how that happened.

Changed the oil at 7500 and 15000, getting near the 22.5 mark soon. Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter.

It certainly seems happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.