Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S197_guy posted the details of the exhaust.

The system is retuned (within the existing package) from front to back. Aside from the tips, there is no way to tell what has changed beyond looking at part numbers. The h-pipe is modified internally as are the mufflers (completely different design on the inside). The exhaust tips were designed to work with the rest of the exhaust changes and were critical to delivering this sound (though the basic sound comes from the h-pipe and muffler redesign). Emcon is our exhaust supplier (recently spun off from ArvinMeritor). I provided them the target sound I was looking for and we worked together to come up with the engineering changes to deliver the sound. Lots of computer modeling coupled with in vehicle fine tuning. I will take exclusive credit for the tips, though! To go along with the signature sound, I made it as loud as legally possible, too. I spent a great deal of time on this exhaust system. Sounds like most of you like it. If you compare the layout of the S197 exhaust system to that of either the SN95 or even the '68, you'll see that it is substantially different. Getting the S197 Bullitt to sound the way it does forced us to sharpen our pencils and put on our thinking caps. It was sort of like trying to make a clarinet sound like a tuba (maybe not the best analogy). Hope this info helps.

FYI - Bullitt muffler code (stamped on can) is F1-8087
GT with automatic trans is F1-7991
GT with manual trans is F1-7849
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
Comparison of the 2008 Bullitt mufflers and the 2001....
Good thing about the new Bullitt mufflers,due to the short tip,you can look inside at the exit flow tube. Note the rows of small slit like perforations.
As I have opened up a 2001 Bullitt muffler,I noticed the inlet and middle flow tubes had no sound perforations at all. Just straight lengths of 2 1/4 pipe,with the inlet tube,mysteriously crimped down to 2 inch about an inch into the case.
Only the number 3,exit flow tube had any perforations,just like the type in the 2008 muffler.
There were extra flow holes,about 5/8ths diameter in the two tube supporting muffler walls,to increase gas flow thru the muffler.
So I would assume that the wider,shorter 2008 Bullitt muffler,has about the same layout,but with larger,you hope,2 1/2 inch dia flow tubes.
These tube dimensions are O.D. size.
Maybe one of you new Bullitt owners,can slide in a measuring gage,inside the exhaust tip to verify the I.D. of the exit tube. For 2 1/2 O.D. tube,it should be about 2 3/8ths inside diameter. Check the actual exit flow tube,not the inside of the muffler tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
I took this the other day. . .
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Mus408 said:
Great picture! Now if you get a chance,maybe you could get an internal exit tube measurement. Thanks!
looks like the id is 2.925 inches, overall od is 3.475 inches, anyone get different measurements?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
HG 509 said:
looks like the id is 2.925 inches, overall od is 3.475 inches, anyone get different measurements?
Well,what I meant was the actual I.D. of the lovered tube inside the muffler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
S197_guy posted the details of the exhaust.

The system is retuned (within the existing package) from front to back. Aside from the tips, there is no way to tell what has changed beyond looking at part numbers. The h-pipe is modified internally as are the mufflers (completely different design on the inside). The exhaust tips were designed to work with the rest of the exhaust changes and were critical to delivering this sound (though the basic sound comes from the h-pipe and muffler redesign). Emcon is our exhaust supplier (recently spun off from ArvinMeritor). I provided them the target sound I was looking for and we worked together to come up with the engineering changes to deliver the sound. Lots of computer modeling coupled with in vehicle fine tuning. I will take exclusive credit for the tips, though! To go along with the signature sound, I made it as loud as legally possible, too. I spent a great deal of time on this exhaust system. Sounds like most of you like it. If you compare the layout of the S197 exhaust system to that of either the SN95 or even the '68, you'll see that it is substantially different. Getting the S197 Bullitt to sound the way it does forced us to sharpen our pencils and put on our thinking caps. It was sort of like trying to make a clarinet sound like a tuba (maybe not the best analogy). Hope this info helps.

FYI - Bullitt muffler code (stamped on can) is F1-8087
GT with automatic trans is F1-7991
GT with manual trans is F1-7849
Hi Greg,

Glad I am taking the time to look and see what all info. is here. This is a Great Fine IMO. Very interesting I think. I wondered just what it took to get the sound the way it is. At least on the videos I have listened to. Never heard the real thing on a real 2008 Bullitt Mustang.

Question for you Bullitt Owners ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

What do you all really think of the sound "Inside & Outside" the Bullitt ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

This is a very interesting Article/Review. On the Exhaust.

Terry (tigerhonaker)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
the sound/rumble is definitely noticable from inside. Even more so from the rear. It will get slightly more so as teh engine breaks in too.

A friend following me said that at stop lights they could not only hear the idle rumble/tone, they could feel it. They had the windows closed too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts
RCSignals said:
the sound/rumble is definitely noticable from inside. Even more so from the rear. It will get slightly more so as teh engine breaks in too.

A friend following me said that at stop lights they could not only hear the idle rumble/tone, they could feel it. They had the windows closed too.
Hi RC,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Man you just made my DAY :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :smile:

Now your talking my language. So then you can hear it inside the vehicle.

Hey RC the best part is that the other driver beside you can feel and hear the exhaust while we are at the Stop.

Oh right before they see us and the "Bullitt-Leave-Them" like a Flash of Lightning :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry (tigerhonaker)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
I thought it was just me.I was showing off the car to a friend and when I fired the engine I stood behind the car and the sound was incredible.The ground beneath us was shaking.What an awesome job Ford did on the tuning.There is nothing like the sound of the exhaust of a Bullitt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts
badasbullitt said:
I thought it was just me.I was showing off the car to a friend and when I fired the engine I stood behind the car and the sound was incredible.The ground beneath us was shaking.What an awesome job Ford did on the tuning.There is nothing like the sound of the exhaust of a Bullitt!
Stephen,

You all are going to have to QUIT this Exhaust Talk Immediately :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

I don't think I can stand anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you guys are just loving the sound and all I can say is this to you. YIPEEEEEEEEE :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is going to be my Year I can tell once this "Bullitt" gets here. :wink:

Terry (tigerhonaker)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Terry,
Sorry to be a tease but you will soon see why all of us are raving over the Bullitt .Let us know what your opinions are of the car when you get it.We look forward to you joining us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts
badasbullitt said:
Terry,
Sorry to be a tease but you will soon see why all of us are raving over the Bullitt .Let us know what your opinions are of the car when you get it.We look forward to you joining us.
Stephen,

Hey I really-really like reading what you (Lucky) "Bullitt" owners have to say regarding the "Bullitt".

I think the Exhaust Sound is going to be one of the things I am really looking forward to hearing. Especially after reading on this Forum how your description is concerning the sound.

I'm Super Satisfied that you members are liking and enjoying your cars so much.

I've owned about everything that once was out there in performance cars-trucks and this is the 1st time anything has gotten my interest up in a Very-Very Long Time. Ford has done a bang up job IMO on the "Bullitt" and it shows from all the Very Positive Remarks from members.

Never fear I will Post what my impressions are of the "Bullitt" once I get it. There will be no doubt in anyones mind what I think. And I have this feeling I am going to be like a Young Child at Christmas time waking up and running to Mommy & Daddy and wanting to go open the Presents under the Christmas Tree. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Terry (tigerhonaker)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Believe me you want be dissatisfied.I hope you want be too concerned if you don't hear the exhaust note inside the car as much as you can outside the car.Don't get me wrong it's still noticeable .It's just that Ford as done a terrific job making inside the car sound proof.

My dealership gave me a loaner (V6 mustang) to drive while I had them add a paint protection and the 2 are not even close.I could hear all kinds of noises outside the car.It is amazing how different the acoustics are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts
badasbullitt said:
Believe me you want be dissatisfied.I hope you want be too concerned if you don't hear the exhaust note inside the car as much as you can outside the car.Don't get me wrong it's still noticeable .It's just that Ford as done a terrific job making inside the car sound proof.

My dealership gave me a loaner (V6 mustang) to drive while I had them add a paint protection and the 2 are not even close.I could hear all kinds of noises outside the car.It is amazing how different the acoustics are.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the "Heads-Up" :wink: on the sound level inside the "Bullitt". I am speaking here only for myself regarding the noise level inside the car. I personally do not want a lot of "NOISE" inside the car while I am driving with the windows up. I paid some serious money for the Sirius Satellite Radio and the Shaker 1000 Sound System. I like music while driving long distance on the interstate back to the State I am from. My brothers are still there and I drive back there to see them. this is like a 4-5 Hour trip one way. So it would get really "OLD" very quickly if the Exhaust was just Rumbling at a high level inside the car. Now when you put the windows down and want to be entertained by the Exhaust that is another story. Especially in the City where you can listen to it as you go through the gears. So it sounds like to me that Ford has delivered with the very best of both worlds. You can hear the exhaust if you want to and put the windows up and the interior is Quiet. Then crank up the Shaker 1000 and let us roll down the interstate.

Thanks for the additional comments. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Terry (tigerhonaker)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Hi Stephen, I personally do not want a lot of "NOISE" inside the car while I am driving with the windows up. Terry (tigerhonaker)
Hey Terry: I like the level of the exhaust note inside the car - I hear the rumble but if I want to hear my Shaker 500 - that's all I hear. If I turn it off I hear nice exhaust tone and with the windows down on a tight 2 lane, your adrenalin will pump! Honestly, my only minor complaint on the car at all is the road noise with the stereo off at freeway speeds. I've been told to expect that with low profile wider tires from my Corvette buddy. (Again I've never had a car like this) But then again, this particular freeway section is loud in all my cars - might be the road surface. But if you want to bury it, crank the volume on the tunes. And I get great rumble using the trunk speakers up a bit (rear setting - it pumps up the trunk speakers a bit but does not eliminate the front. Back in my HS days it was only those 20oz magnet Jensen co-axials in the trunk that rocked the Led out!!).
With a Shaker 1000 you won't even hear yourself foof after enough beer and texas chili to blow your mid-western mind! :redface: :lol: :exclaim: :frown: :evil: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts
Bullitt Exhaust : Inside Car:

cdynaco said:
Hey Terry: I like the level of the exhaust note inside the car - I hear the rumble but if I want to hear my Shaker 500 - that's all I hear. If I turn it off I hear nice exhaust tone and with the windows down on a tight 2 lane, your adrenalin will pump! Honestly, my only minor complaint on the car at all is the road noise with the stereo off at freeway speeds. I've been told to expect that with low profile wider tires from my Corvette buddy. (Again I've never had a car like this) But then again, this particular freeway section is loud in all my cars - might be the road surface. But if you want to bury it, crank the volume on the tunes. And I get great rumble using the trunk speakers up a bit (rear setting - it pumps up the trunk speakers a bit but does not eliminate the front. Back in my HS days it was only those 20oz magnet Jensen co-axials in the trunk that rocked the Led out!!).
With a Shaker 1000 you won't even hear yourself foof after enough beer and texas chili to blow your mid-western mind! :redface: :lol: :exclaim: :frown: :evil: :confused:
Charlie nice description of what you hear inside the "Bullitt" with Shaker-On & Off. Then with windows Cracked a Little.
If you want to listen to the Shaker just crank it up.
Turn everything off and you can still hear the Exhaust.
Nice :smile:

Charlie,

I think you are right that the reason you are hearing road noise and it LOUD is the Road you are on. I say that because you make the comment that all the vehicles do the same. Noisy tires though on most performance cars though is Louder than say A/S Michelin Tires on a Non-Performance Car.

I have owned a Bunch of Both.

Say thanks for the Post I like the way you broke it down.

What do you think of the (Shifter) ?????? That is if you have not already said in another Post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
I downloaded the exhaust sound from somewhere and now use it as my ringtone on my cell phone.

I realize that's a little anal, but what the hell.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top