Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well,
i finally got the bullitt out to carolina motorsports park for a track day. this was my first time to do a full weekend on a road course. (i HAD done 4 lapping sessions last summer on saturday here, but had to skip sunday b/c of my daughter's 3rd birthday.)

HERE is a video and some pics from my best 3 laps. best lap was a 2:04.

I used this little camera which records to a sd media card. nice little toy, but the wind noise totally drowned out the motor, so, hence the soundtrack.

probably was the most fun thing i can imagine doing in the stang. the beginner field was pretty lightly popoulated, 9 cars only. so we all had a ton of track to ourselves.

great instructor. it was a very well put together weekend, i cant recommend it highly enough.
hope you enjoy.

aces,
doc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
eating up the 400 hp GTO

starting into turn 11

out of 11, heading for 12

into 12

target acquired

and vanquished

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 350 z was for dessert

same set of turns

didn't take long to get the point-by, to pass

look who is still hanging on . . .

the GTO!

or trying to !

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
In a word: AWESOME.

:-B

·
Registered
85 Posts
THAT was AWESOME!!!! How much did that cost ya?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
$300 for the weekend,
gets you 6x 20" to 30" sessions.
instructor included.
all you need is a helmet and a pre-event tech/inspection form filled out.

some places will accept an "M"-rated helmet (think motorcycle), though more and more are requiring helmets to be snell SA2000, or SA2005 rated.
the SA's are fire resistant, and mulitple impact rated, whereas M-rated are single impact rated.
get the SA2005, they don't inherently cost any more, and this way you dont have to buy two.
many venues will have helmets for rent.

these type things are put on, all over the place, wherever there is a track.
various car clubs rent them for the weekend, and you usually get 6-8 20" to 30" sessions.
you can register for a porsche club's trck day, or vette club's track day, etc.
i.e.: you do NOT have to drive a BMW to go to BMW track day, for example.

these are generally referred to as "HDPE's"
High Performance Driving Events,
or "DE's" driver educations

Coco's track schedule is a pretty comprehensive place to see what is going on, and where.

NASA Pro-Racing is another great place to go.

NASA is one of the two main sanctioning bodies doing stuff like this,
the other is SCCA (Sports Car Club of America)
an over generalization may be that SCCA is more into auto-crossing (think huge parking lot, lots of orange cones, and small short twisty courses)
whereas NASA seems to be more track oriented.
i am kinda new to all this, so like i said, this is a generalization.

many times, the opportunity to do parade laps, at the lunch hour, is offered.
there is NO passing, and speed limit may be 60mph, for example.
initially sounds kinda gay, but you should take advantage of this.
it is a great way to familiarize yourself with the course, and learn the line.
taking it slowly helps you refine your turn-in point, etc.

they are very controlled, and safe.
passing (at the beginner level, where i am, currently) is only in designated passing zones, and even then, only with a "point-by" from the driver you are going to pass. (see the middle of the 350z sequence).

"if someone is in your rearview mirror, it is because they are faster than you, let them over".

·
Registered
761 Posts
That seems like one hell of a deal to me.How much rubber do you think you used up?Did you push the car a lot in the turns?

I did 6 laps around a 1.1 mile road course at VIR .Being a beginner and it was so hot I had the windows up with the a/c on so I couldn't here the engine rev.I wasn't sure how hard I was pushing the car.But had a very good time.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Looks like a bootful O' fun!

One quick question: WTF is that in the middle of your grille? I can't see it well-enough to tell in the pics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
badasbullitt said:
That seems like one hell of a deal to me.How much rubber do you think you used up?Did you push the car a lot in the turns?

I did 6 laps around a 1.1 mile road course at VIR .Being a beginner and it was so hot I had the windows up with the a/c on so I couldn't here the engine rev.I wasn't sure how hard I was pushing the car.But had a very good time.
tires were schreeching some, in the corners, which were taken anywhere from 30-35 mph (turn 11 and turn 14) to 55mph (turn 8 )
hitting 118ish on the straights.

i guess i was at about 7/10th's of the cars potential. 9.5/10ths of mine.
it is a surprisingly grueling weekend, you will be exhausted by the end. seems hard to believe for just sitting there driving in a wavy circle. (the heat doesnt help, drink BUNCHES of water)
every nerve, every muscle, etc is TOTALLY FOCUSED on getting around that track.

the class room instructor (i forgot to mention 6 or so classroom sessions are also included for the price) said the 5th run would probably be our best, because by teh 6th and final run, you are so tired, you start slipping a little, missing corner apexes you were previously made. he was right, though it wasn't drastic.

tires still look good, going to rotate em this weekend.

curious tthat they let you run windows up / A.C. on ???
usually they prefer AC off, to keep water off the track (from condensing on teh refrigerant lines),
and windows down, to hopefully better contain glass and debris (in teh RARE event of an accident)

JC2954 said:
One quick question: WTF is that in the middle of your grille? I can't see it well-enough to tell in the pics.
LOL, good eye!!

that is the movie camera (go back to the original post) it is linked in blue.
I trust you clicked on the movie, (also liked in blue)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
lastly, at CMP, they have a new 300' skid pad.
it was included free, and we got to get out there, set the wheel, start making circles, go faster and faster till the car started to understeer, and then work on correcting it by opening up the steering wheel.

then repeat, get to a good speed, briefly let off the gas (throwing the cars weight forward) then goose the throttle (while the rearend was still light), - this threw it into an oversteer situation, making the rear-end come around on you.
and you then get to turn the wheel (a lot) to try and correct it.

i straightened her up 3/4 times, and did a fairly controlled 360*, without running off into the grass.

lots of fun.

kinda like drifting, a little, i guess.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Awesome video DocStang, and pretty commendable driving.... Beat a GTO and what looks like to me a 350Z.... In a heavier car with stick axle... Definitely made IMBOC proud:smile: :smile: :smile:

Looks like so much fun, I have to try it.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Great driving! A few people from my local Mustang club went up to CMP recently and had a great time. I plan to go up there with them next time.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
The next driving event for our club is at the Nashville Super Speedway on Sept. 19-20, sponsored by the Music City Mustang Club. Maybe Tigerhonaker and 08 Shifter can join in on the fun so that I can get to meet them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
bluebullitt2180.1 said:
I would love to take 0038 onto a road course
You two with your 'garage queens' are all talk about the track! :p

I'm eyeballing a one day return event at VIR in November, sposored by
www.trackdaze.com

Care to consider it? :)

It's the most (legal) fun you can have with your clothes on!

And to the guy that said he ran at VIR with the windows up and the AC on, you're lucky they didn't black flag you for that. They probably didn't realize you had AC running. And I'm not sure I buy that you were able to roll with the windows up. That, too, is a no-no.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts