Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a similar thread on this before - http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2166&forum=1

Basically, I use 1st gear as my parking brake. I only use the e-brake when I need to leave the vehicle with the engine running - and occasionally when negotiating the stop lights in "The City" :wink:

Have Fun,
Randy R...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobra 427 on 2001-10-16 17:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have always been of the mind that I would rather put more stress on the e-brake than the tranny. If on level ground, I throw it in neutral and use the hand brake. On a hill, I will leave it in first after setting the brake and taking the slack off the tranny. Then leaving it in gear is just more of a back up in case the brake line snaps. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The first time she rolls down the hill, you'll be sorry if you didn't use the trans and the hand brake.

Last year there was a huge amount of crap regarding the e-brakes popping out on 'stangs everywhere. Some guys ended up rolling into a heap of hurt.

I park in gear and yank on the emergency brake. I'd rather replace a cable than a quarter panel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
USE YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE AND THE TRANSMISSION!!! Trust the voice of experience on this one! My 89 Mustang is currently lacking a driver's side door and decent paint thanks to the E Brake failing, the car rolling down my driveway, across the street, and INTO my neighbor's garage, via his UNOPENED garage door. I didn't have the car in gear because the engine was running and I (unwisely) turned my back on the car for just a minute.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
My Dad has an 89 5.0 coupe. The e-brake is not hooked up and I forgot to block the tires at his old house. The driveway was moderately steep. I came outside about an hour later and it was blocking about half of the street, LOL. This was a fairly busy street too.

Use your e-brake if it's not flat ground, LOL.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I always use the E-brake and 1st gear. I would rather not take any chances.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I have a flat surface in my garage so I just use the transmission in 1st. Anytime I park on an incline I use the e-brake and 1st. Keep in mind the new Mustangs e-brake is much better than those of the 82-93 generation because we all have rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use the e-brake all of the time, when I'm on a hill I put it in gear along with the brake. When I'm on a very steep hill, I may even rice the wheels all the way to the side.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1st gear and the e-brake whether it's flat or hilly. Like buckling up before hitting the road, it's instinctive. Good for protecting your vehicle and your body.

·
Registered
444 Posts
First Gear and the E-Brake. Not matter where (incline or level surface.) You never know. Just using the tranny puts un-needed wear on it. I use it as a back up to the brake. I've had a cable snap on me before.

·
Registered
237 Posts
1st gear and e-brake.
On my last Mustang, a '98, I had a similar problem as some here. One day after coming back from a vacation, I parked in my space which has a slight incline using only the e-brake. It was parked there for about 15 minutes and I was inside my place when I got a knock on the door. The person at the door asked if that was my car across the way leaning up against the building adjacent to mine. Of course, I said yes :eek: :???:. Because I didn't use first gear (or any gear for that matter), my car sustained $1400.00 in damage of which I had to pay the deductible and of course, my insurance rates went up. But, about 2 years after this happened, Ford came out with a recall on the e-brake and I was able to get the accident changed to a no-fault accident which I was reimbursed by the insurance company, all the money that I paid extra in insurance costs from that point to the present (Feb. 2001). I'm still waiting for the reimbersment for the deductibie from Ford through my insurance company. By the way, when I took my car in to the dealer to have the e-brake looked at, they said they could not find anything wrong with it :roll: but I never had a problem with the e-brake again from that point on :roll: :???: Hmmmmmmm?

Bullitt #5338 - No mods necessary at this time!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RenegadeBullitt on 2001-10-18 17:04 ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts