Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to rewire the power outlets so that they only come on when the car is on (or the key is turned at least). I don't like it when I forget to turn the radar detector off. Or should I just not worry about it?

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
The only thing to be concerned about is the Nice red/green glowing "Steal Me" sign in your window. I've lost 2 Radar Detectors to the Ol' "Rock Through The Drivers Window" scheme.
I agree that the Detector shouldn't be much of a draw on the battery but I take mine in everynight and put it out of sight when I go anywhere. Gotten burned too many times.
You could also do what I've done.. Just wire your detector directly into the fuse block. A quick and easy way to do this is tie the Ground wire off to a bolt under the dash and wrap the Positive wire around the post of one of your accessory fuses (15-20 amp).. Run the wire up the side and into the window molding and over the back of the dash. Now you've got your wires hidden and you don't need to turn it off. :smile:

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-06-20 17:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about hardwiring it...might do that when I put the new stereo in. It would look much better that way. I guess I won't worry about it for now.

I'm not too worried about theft, it's garaged at night and in a nice parking area during the day (right outside the office). I have other stuff in there worth a lot more anyway, like a 48-cd case and such. Time to get a nice alarm.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I hard wired my Valentine in. Let me tell you, there is not one open fuse connection in the fuse box.. not one. I had to get creative tapping into a relay that was ignition switched that resides next to the fuse box. What a pain.

Brian

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about wiring the positive to one of the accessory fuses as someone else suggested? That would seem doable.

What do ya wanna talk about as far as stereos? I like the indash changer, but it just doesn't have the features I want. I'm still trying to decide what to put under my eclipse deck. Maybe a police scanner =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts