Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on page 22 of the August issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords that Paul Svinicki of Paul's High Performance did 13.79 at 100 MPH on stock tires at the Fun Ford Weekend in Commerce, GA. He did 13.66 at 100 MPH on drag radials. The article said it was an early production Bullitt. I have to wonder if the car was bone stock. Anybody know for sure?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
yes, no mods were made EXCEPT the faster run used some shaved Nitto's on the rear!
Check out JB VOBRA's times in his forum topic.....pretty darn close!
2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-07-31 10:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ivan, Learo, Janitorworld -

Loan me your Bullitt this Friday at SIR for a pass down the 1/4 mile and I'll earn you an easy 13 second pass on your street tires. I'll be racing my '00 GT 8/3/01 there. Gates open at 4pm. $25 to enter. They are really open this time, and the track was just prepped for extreme traction last weekend for the Northwest Nationals that were held there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The car was as built. I know, because I drove the car down to Atlanta for that weekend. It was a production vehicle owned by Ford.

In fact, the first run, the 13.79 was run on friday morning. I drove the car into the paddock (from a 1/2 hour drive) and Paul jumped in and ripped off 5 sub-14 second times in a row (and he had never driven a Bullitt before) with a 13.79 being the best and immediately backed up w/ a 13.80

The other runs were done on Sunday morning (a much worse day weather wise) and we borrowed a set of Nitto's from Paul and he ran 6 more runs, a little quicker than friday, the best being the 13.66
To my knowledge, there were no near-stock GT's anywhere near 14 flat on sunday (it was hot and humid, not good) all of the runs were at or near 100mph, though slightly faster on friday (makes sense because of the weather, though friday wasn't that great either)
I really feel that on a decent weather day, on a decent track, a stock bullitt can hit 13.5 or less easy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rara,

Ok, so what's your connection to Ford? Do we have an insider among us? :smile: Just tell me what you can without having to kill me afterwards.

Eric

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree whole heartidly with Rara. And I aim to run 13.5 at 103+ this winter in bone-stock form. There's no reason I can't. I ran the 13.83 at 101.5 in 95 degree heat index conditions with only 575 miles on the car.

Give me some 55 degree, low humdity, high baramoter air quality and 10,000 miles on the odometer and I'll get it. I want to knock on low 13's with the nittos attached.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Do you think our two cars got the same type engine? Maybe the cylinder head combustion chamber CCs vary a bit from the factory!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-02 21:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
53 Posts
well,
I do work for Ford, but (I'm sure you will all be disappointed to hear this :grin:) I'm really a nobody in the big scheme of things, I just keep finding my way into cool stuff :grin:

I can't say much that you guys don't already know, but if you have any questions, I'll see what I can do (just remember, there is a lot I don't know, and even more I can't say)

also, I am here on a personal level, not professionally, simply because I really love the Bullitt, unfortunately I don't have the spare cash to get one, but I do own a 94 Cobra (pretty stock for now) and a mildly modded 00 Contour SVT.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Alright Rara, what is it? Are you a member of Team Mustang? Do you work closely with them? what is it? I saw your post on the corral in the Team Mustang forum and you seem to know who the team members are. If this is even close to the truth that would mean you are priviledged to a lot of information the rest of us would love to know!!! Actually, the thought of Team Mustang memebers browsing this site is prety cool! Are there any gems you can share that don't compromise your position, but might not be common knowledge?

Eric

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, I'll give you the "skinny" on me.
I do work for Ford, I am in a program called "Ford College Graduate" That basically means I get to go to different positions for six months at a time for roughly 2 years, before I go to my permanent job at Ford. Currently I am a bit over a year into the program, which means I have only been here a little over a year.
On the cool side, I have been able to secure very cool rotations so far, and all have been within Team Mustang (as are my remaining rotations)
I will be honest, that I feel like I am sneaking in every day into somewhere I don't belong, like security is gonna come grab me and say, "you can't see all this cool stuff!"
I have worked with some very talented and passionate people in my time here, most of which are very passionate about the Mustang. I have worked very closely with many of the key players on the Bullitt program, and their passion for the car has rubbed right off on me. The Bullitt was truly a labor of love by those most responsible for it. The Bullitt program manager and his team were instrumental in even making the car happen every step of the way. The chassis guy who tuned the suspension setup is one of the nicest and most talented guys you will ever meet, not to mention much of the work on the Bullitt was done in his "spare" time, because he still had all of his regular stuff to do.
The Bullitt was truly a thank you from the enthusiasts at Team Mustang to you guys, the enthusiasts who bought the cars.
Anyway, I didn't intend this to be a heartfelt kinda thing :grin: so anyway :grin:
oddly enough, though I am an engineer, the stuff you guys will know of mine are actually photos. Another engineer and I took several nice photos out on the Dearborn proving grounds after one of the prototype cars were completed. When marketing went to put together the "Hero card" or the little brochure to send to the dealers, the only photos that were available were the ones I had taken, so several of my photos were used in the Hero card, and some even made into the Press Kits.
Also, there were some pics floating around the internet of that 13.66 and the 13.79 runs at Atlanta, I took those photos as well.

I will only ask that you guys keep it under your hats where I work. I frequent many Mustang (and Contour, I have one of those too) boards under the same name, and I don't want to get bombarded with questions I cannot or am not allowed to answer.
I will also say that many Team Mustang folks frequent boards such as the corral and StangNet, and many working on the Bullitt have come here when they get the chance. Remember, most of the folks on Team Mustang are enthusiasts too, and many of them are involved in racing mustangs or have classic Mustangs. (of course there is a friend of mine who works in the Chassis dept. that worships the BMW M3 :grin: go figure!)

Anyway, this has gotten long, but I will say, I will be as honest as I can with anyone who asks me a question (or a smart a__ :grin:) and if I can't say, I will tell you I can't say. Just remember, I am not here as an agent of Ford, but as another enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Thanks for the heartfelt post Rara, and be sure to thank all of Team Mustang for their work on this car (which we "kinda like") :smile:

Please invite any of the Bullitt owners (or makers) you know, or run into, to this site. The more Bullittheads we have here, they better.

BTW: Keep saving, you need a Bullitt! :smile:

Mike

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rara,

Thanks for your candor. I promise not to "out" you at any other site. I beleive your identity is safe here. If you get the chance to share our heartfelt thanks to all members of Team Mustang who made this car a reality please do so! I know we will never know all the red tape that had to be gotten through to get this car into our hands, but it was worth it!! I can't beleive the amount of attention this car gets considering there was no formal advertising.
I can't imagine how cool it must be to get to see what you see. I feel like a kid in a candy store just surfing this site and sharing stories with fellow Bullitt owners. The car puts an ear-to-ear grin on my face every day!! I think my head might explode if I was exposed to all the cool toys you probably have at your disposal.

Somethng I'm curious to know is what are the first few things members of the Bullitt Team do to get more power/better handling out of these things. I think the Bullit is a great starting point, but I'm sure they know where the restrictions limitation are in these things. I don' think that oversteps any priviledged information boundaries to get input like that. I'm just thinking that the team responsible has probably already done some trial and error work with different performance/go fast goodies.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy this site as much as we do!

Eric

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Rara,
Thanks for the info. You sound like a great person. Keep up the great work, and tell the other members of Team Mustang I really applaud the work that went into the Bullitt Mustang. They are all my heros. And I hope to meet them at Atlanta for MCA's 25th. I hoping to get 1007 signed by Art Hyde

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks guys,

well, I'll put it this way, If I had a Bullitt, the things I would do would be as follows:
X-pipe, the stock cats are pretty restrictive, but the Bullitt cat-back flows pretty good (not to mention that unique sound!)

a decent cold-air intake can't hurt, I like the one from densecharger, its cheap and works well (I have one on my 94 Cobra)

I like the stock suspension tuning a lot, but I would consider getting some weld-in sub connectors to further tighten things up (or at least weld-in the stock braces, they bolt-in)

a 3.73 gear seems to be the optimal choice for the car.

The intake is a bit rough as cast, so a trip to extrude hone couldn't hurt (I don't really know how much this will gain though) along w/ the slightly larger aftermarket throttle body (don't remember the size, but not the oval one, that would be after alot more mods)

If you have the time/money, a good port matching and smoothing job on the intake and heads never hurt anybody.

Aftermarket shifter is a great idea, currently I think the Steeda one is the only one that will fit the 3650 trans.

Personally, I would only do mods that would enhance the character of a Bullitt, so I would probably stay away from things like loud flowmasters, or a Vortech (though the #'s for the Bullitt kit do look very impressive!) on MY Bullitt (one of these days . . . :grin:)

Not a bad call on getting Art to sign your Bulitt (Art is a cool guy, he gets so excited over this kind of stuff!) another good name to have on your car, if you ever run into him, is Scott Hoag (he will kill me if he sees this) but he was the Program Manager for the Bullitt, and he did sign Bullitt #2, the one Ferguson won at FFW Atlanta from the mod motor class last year.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I e-mailed Art, a couple months a go and told him he was legend and that 20 years from now his name would be spoken with Awe. I asked him at the time to sign 1007 at the MCA 25th and he made a joke about having bullitt with his name on it. He really sounds like a stand up guy

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rara, (or should I say agent Rara) :smile:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree with you completely about keeping with the character of the car. Most of the mods you listed are the ones I have done or are planning on doing.

I already have the 3.73's and densecharger.
A Bassani X-pipe goes in this month.
Global West Subframe connectors will be going on soon. (I had a set of these on my 96GT convertible and they are awesome.)
The only thing I was considering that you didn't mention was a new MAF(C&L 80mm). I get from your post that the restrition is in the throttle bodies not the MAF.
My goal is 300hp without sacrificing driveability or the character of the car. I feel that is realistic.

The only thing I plan on doing to the suspension is the Reinforced Ford upper control arms and Global West lower control arms. There is to much play in the stock arms/bushings.

Thanks a lot, I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Eric

P.S. I have another post titled "best bang for $1000-$1500" Om that I list what I was thinking about doing and it closely matches your suggestions. It is nice to know I was on the right track.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-08-05 03:02 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Rara, i've been out of touch since thursday but thanks for your candor and passion. i for one am VERY grateful for this gift Team Mustang gave us.(i'm NOT happy about my assembly line quality but i can seperate the two!) there are other Ford employees ( MI_Bullitt & Mr.T come to mind) and engineers here and at BON but i want you guys here cuz you are car AND Mustang enthusiasts(ok FANATICS-LOL) NOT because you work for Ford. do NOT ever put yourself or your job at risk by compromising your integrity! we are happy to have any and all folks here( Ford or otherwise).thank you VERY much for your comments!!!
i'm grateful to all you guys!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well stated Marty!

I don't think anyone here would ever want to cause any trouble . We all appreciate and respect what these guys have given us. I think it;s great that they are enthusiasts like the rest of us nuts!

Eric

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rara,
I ditto the appreciation we all feel for the opportunity to own the Bullitt. I can't say enough about how much I love this darned car! I do have one gripe, however (it is minor in the scheme of things) and that is the cheesy little sticker on the shock tower. I can barely read mine and there are posts where owners have rubbed the numbers off when cleaning them. I think we deserve a better and more substantial serial plate than that. Don't know if you can bend any ears, but all our emails seem to be going nowhere. My gut feel is that this is the result of one of the classic Engineering vs Marketing wars. Other than that this car is a home run, baby!

Stay cool and keep schmoopin!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Biggest gripe is the shock tower sticker? My biggest problem is the Bullitt seems to level off and hit that "sweet spot" for cruising at about 85 to 90 MPH (or more), and I can't find any speed limit signs in Texas that read over 70. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts