Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1603 wins by knockout, but not without getting pounded itself.

Well, I'm OK and so is my buddy that was riding along. The status of 1603 is undetermined as of this posting, but hopefully repairable.

I was going up a curved, inclined on-ramp to a local 4 lane highway. It goes from a 2 lane left turn onto a wide merging on-ramp. I was at the front of the line in the right lane. I went a little quicker than the other cars because it's a pain to try and merge on an on-ramp, plus the cars on that highway do at least 45 and I wanted to get up to speed. I shifted about 1/4 to halfway up the ramp and guess I hit the gas a little too hard. The back end gave way and started sliding away from me. From there I tried doing everything I could or knew how to get control back but it wasn't enough or quick enough. We ended up sliding through a highway lightpost, down the grass into the ditch, did a 180 and a slid a bit back up the other side. Thankfully it was a "breakaway" lightpost and basically just went over the car. The impact was still enough to crunch my door in pretty good.

I was told that we should be seriously hurt and should have rolled a few times after hitting the pole, can't figure out why we didn't. I'm sure it's because I never let go of the wheel, that car ahs a nice low center of gravity, and quite a bit of luck.

I'm hoping to get some pics in the next few days that I can post, as well as updates to how the car is doing. Until then, everyone drive safe.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Holy ****!

Glad you are ok, thats the important thing.

Hope your insurance treats you right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, went to take a better look today and get all my personal stuff out of the car. I'm no mechanic or bodyshop erpairman, and I hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure it's totaled. The adjuster will be looking at it a little later today to make the call.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lorr-1603 said:
Well, went to take a better look today and get all my personal stuff out of the car. I'm no mechanic or bodyshop erpairman, and I hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure it's totaled. The adjuster will be looking at it a little later today to make the call.
Nutz... sorry to here that. Glad you're okay though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Unfortunately, 1603 has been declared dead (totaled). Initial damage assesment put it at $10,000 in damage. Looking further, it is determined that strcutural integrity is compromised and the car declared unsafe to drive without extensive work. It was a quick 3 months of being a bullitt owner, especially because 50 days of that time was spent overseas, but I can't say I'm disappointed by any means. Will I ever own another bullitt? Only time will tell, this has hurt my wife and me emotionally and financially. I will continue to lurk around the IMBOC boards, and may one day return with good news. Until then, everyone drive safe and enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey man, sorry about the loss, but the loss of yours may help mine live again. Would you mind looking into the buyback info and I'll buy it from you to help move along "Project Rebirth"?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The main thing is that you are ok, as is your friend. At least you had a chance to own one and drive one, so the experience will always be with you.

Best of luck.

Ichibanbullitt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will do my best to look into it Rebirth. I believe the storage facility they have it at is an auto auction company. Insurance company total cars are sent there to be auctioned once the decision is final. I still have to go there tomorrow to get a few more items from the vehicle and will ask about how/when the car will be auctioned. Who knows, I may buy it back myself it it's an incredible bargain price.

Now, the guy that owened it before me did replace some of the stock parts with other performance parts. He kept all the original parts and they were given to me when I bought the car. I haven't decided yet if I will be keeping the parts, hopeful I will find a new owner for them, or if I will be selling them. You can be sure I'll post here if/when I decide to sell the original parts I have.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I'm glad your OK, and the same for your passenger. Sorry about the car, but maybe you can bring it back around. Or replace it with another Bullitt at an appropriate time in the future.

Just as an aside. It's old advice given to me forty years ago. Never, but never shift gears while making a turn. I know you were on a curve. But for physics purposes, the advice is the same for the same reason. A little change in torque, and the rule about objects in motion tend to stay in motion...and you have got a spin out, 360, whatever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pictures

I finally got around to uploading some pictures of the car. I have others that I will probably upload over the next few days.
Here's a few pics of the car before the accident...Bullitt 1603
And here's the aftermath of the accident...Bullitt 1603 - RIP

As for details on purchasing the Bullitt for Project Rebirth. I'm sorry to say I really don't have the best of news. Farmers is selling the car to Insurance Auto Auction once everything is finalized. IAA will then auction it off at a semi-private auction on an undetermined date. I say semi-private because you need only be a member to bid on the auction. I am told it is a one-time fee of about $200 to become a member. You can then bid in-person or even live on-line through their website. You can find out more here http://www.iaai.com/ My Bullitt is at the Omaha, Nebraska location. Sorry I couldn't get you some better news. I'd much rather give it to another Bullitt owner than have it sold to some random guy, unfortunately I have no say in the matter.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
you should be able to request buy back from the insurance company before they send it out to auction
I have never heard different and can think of a handful of people that did this. Plus you keep a clear title since the vehicle never changes owners

·
Registered
803 Posts
Shifting in a turn is kind of dangerous b/c if the clutch engagement isn't almost perfect, it's easy to pop the tires from behind you. It took me a close call to realize that. I'm really sorry to hear about the car. There are more out there. :) Start looking. What did the adjuster have your car valued at? I'm just curious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts