Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get four Bullitt wheels in 17x9 for my car. My logic for the 17x9s all around is the following:
275s are quite a bit cheaper than 315s for the rear.
All four the same allows me to rotate for tire life.
All four the same retains a more stock appearance than 10.5s in rear.
I fear the extra weight of the 10.5s will dampen acceleration too much.

Can anyone provide strong argument for going with 10.5s in rear vs 9s?

I really want to try to address this upgrade soon, but am open to feedback from you guys/gals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
I don't really see the point in the upgrade to a 1 inch wider rim. I thought you could put a 275 tire on the stock 8 inch wide rims, at least in the back. IMO this will just look stock and not really give any upgrade in performance for the money being spent on all 4 rims. Unless you are getting a different color or something for a different look then ok, but then I would say get 18s, but that is what I like. We probably have different opinions on this, but I bought new rims for the look of the car. If I wanted really great performance out of them I would have stayed stock or gotten some real light wheels like some Welds or something. just my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
One of my first mods was doing the 9's in front and the 10.5's in back. I noticed an immediate difference in the acceleration. Felt slower and with the extra weight of the wheels and tires it's easy to see why. After a couple years I switched to 9's all-around. I did notice, or was it my imagination?, better acceleration. Less rotating mass back there has got to make a difference.

The 10.5's are cool looking but in my opinion, hamper performance. The 9's look better over stock and add a little more grip without too much power robbing.

18's? They gotta be slowing the car down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
I have 17x9s Ft &
17x10.5s Bk

I like the wider stance/more aggressive look. I agree though, some acceleration is lost with the DDs in the back and it feels heavier, but it depends on what you want.

Maybe down the road i will put 17x9s in the back. However, i went with the wider stance since i was able to get all 4 GY Eagle F1GSD3s for 1200 bucks, saving me 400 from what discount tire wanted. Pros and cons with it.

Also, i had to wait 6 months for the rear tires, had i known that i would have gone 17x9s all around. I had the rims for awhile and Goodyear extended the back order on the tires, so it was too late to ship the rims back. Anyway...

your call on what you want, either way looks good IMO.
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
i bought a set of wheel replica 17 x 9's and compared them to a set of ford 17 x 9's. the replica's are a heavy wheel. the ford wheel is heavier than the 8" wheel (obviously), but the replica wheel is heavier again. add to that the weight of a 10.5 in replica form and the added rotating mass is probably a fair amount. i'd bet some of the ebay wheels weigh even more than the Wheel Replica's too. you can always pony up the money for a set of CCW's or Kodiak's in whatever width you want. they'll weigh less than the stock 17 x 8's. the added weight of the tire will make it about stock weight though.

you can always add wheel spacers in back too, and if you can find a tire you like in 295 you can squeeze it on the 9" wheel. Kumho just cam out with the Ecsta XS (very sticky street tire) which comes in both 295 and 315 17's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
See my sig, I have 17 x 9's all around. I don't care for the 10" or 10-1/2" back wheels myself, but for those that do, that's OK too.

I do rotate my tires yearly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

After reading the comments, I am more worried about the additional weight of even the 17x9s. I can't believe the comment about 9s being a waste of time because there is no significant difference from the stock 8s. 275s have to look meatier than the 245s. I generally prefer the same size all the way around a sports car.

I will probably go with 9s all around. Thanks gang!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
All my wheels are the stock 17x8 and I got 275s on the back. I still spin the heck outta them so I wish I had the bigger 315s. My buddy just got DDs for the back of his GT with 315s and it definitely has a better grasp on the road.
You don't need to waste your money on the 9s honestly since the 275 fits the 8 but I recommend the 10.5s if ur gonna keep building your power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Loaded said:
All my wheels are the stock 17x8 and I got 275s on the back. I still spin the heck outta them so I wish I had the bigger 315s. My buddy just got DDs for the back of his GT with 315s and it definitely has a better grasp on the road.
You don't need to waste your money on the 9s honestly since the 275 fits the 8 but I recommend the 10.5s if ur gonna keep building your power.

but you could also get 9's and put 295's on there plus a spacer. same look less weight. depends on what you want. if we're talking drag racing, then 315's out back are probably better for overall grip. for better grip in terms of cornering, you'd need the same all the way around. the extra front weight bias of the iron block 2V doesn't like a staggered set of tires. in fact, if you wanted better cornering grip you'd find that putting more meat on the front would help with understeer and deathplow. if you can get 315's or 295's all the way around, that'd be a lot of grip.

like i said, depends on your goal. i have 9" 10th anniv cobra wheels with 275s all the way around with a rear spacer and i'd argue (for me personally) that it looks better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
One other advantage of the 17x9 wheels is that they are off-set a little more and therefore widen the stance some. If you don't want the 10.5" wheels on the back, then I think you'll be happy with the 17x9s all around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong, the 17x9s look better and you can fit the 295 on it which is better for sure than the 275. I was just suggesting if a 275 was the goal then it would work on the 8s is all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think there is enough wheel width on an 8" to support the 275 well enough for cornering. A 275 is an 1 3/16" wider than the 245 is. The additional sidewall flexing would bother me a lot. A 275 should be mounted on a 9", or wider, wheel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
If corning is more your thing then go ahead with the 9s all around. I was just saying that the 275 fits. It does flex over but I have had them on there (the rear) for about 15k with only benefits, granted I only really worry about getting down a straight line as fast as I can.
The 9s will look better and with the 275s, should look more natural.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
And I'm going the other way... I have a set of American Torque Thrust wheels and tires,from another project... Front..15x4.5,with P185x65 radial skinnys and 15x8.5 with P275x60's. The 15x8.5 combo went right on the left rear without any caliper rub,but it is close. The right rear slightly rubs the rib on the caliber. I thinking a slight enlargement of the caliper mounting bracket hole,or just loosening and readjusting,might fix that. The front end would mean swapping to the base GT brakes,plus a 1/4 inch spacer and some inside wheel work.
This whole deal is just for test fitting.
But those 275x60 15's on those Torque Thrust wheels,really give the Bullitt a mean look,along with the stock Bullitts up front! Might go with a M/T Drag Radial in 275x50x15 for the rear for occassional use.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,283 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
I don't think there is enough wheel width on an 8" to support the 275 well enough for cornering. A 275 is an 1 3/16" wider than the 245 is. The additional sidewall flexing would bother me a lot. A 275 should be mounted on a 9", or wider, wheel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
That's the KEY! What do you want to do?

1. Cruise and look cool?
2. Have good straight-line acceleration or good drag strip performance?
3. Have a good open track day car for the local road course?

I know for sure that 275s should not be mounted on 8-inch wheels for #3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joker721 said:
I have 17x9s Ft &
17x10.5s Bk

I like the wider stance/more aggressive look. I agree though, some acceleration is lost with the DDs in the back and it feels heavier, but it depends on what you want.

Maybe down the road i will put 17x9s in the back. However, i went with the wider stance since i was able to get all 4 GY Eagle F1GSD3s for 1200 bucks, saving me 400 from what discount tire wanted. Pros and cons with it.

Also, i had to wait 6 months for the rear tires, had i known that i would have gone 17x9s all around. I had the rims for awhile and Goodyear extended the back order on the tires, so it was too late to ship the rims back. Anyway...

your call on what you want, either way looks good IMO.
Jim
Jim, That is an awesome looking Bullitt! You have really got the paint looking nice. Are those stock wheels with 255-40-17s in your picture?

I am seriously debating leaving the stocks on and getting 255-40-17s. That will save me lots of money, and I won't be adding extra weight with wider wheels. I don't want to give up any performance with heavy wheels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
That is an old photo with the 255/40s all around. I have the 275/40s F & 315/35s R setup now. Thanks for the comment.
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Jim, That is an awesome looking Bullitt! You have really got the paint looking nice. Are those stock wheels with 255-40-17s in your picture?

I am seriously debating leaving the stocks on and getting 255-40-17s. That will save me lots of money, and I won't be adding extra weight with wider wheels. I don't want to give up any performance with heavy wheels.
Different tire companies run different sizes even if the numbers on the case are the same. I have 255/40/17's front and rear on 4415 with stock wheels. Fronts are Falken's, rears are Fulda's. The Fulda's look more like 275's, about 3/4" wider and a little bulge. As a matter of fact when I bought the Fulda's at NTB I was going to get 275's, but after an hour of trying to get them to fit on the stock wheels they just wouldn't go. They were too wide. They looked like 315's sitting unmounted on the floor in their showroom.

So, with all that rambling, I would say some 275's will fit, some will not. The 255's fit just fine and look great.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top