1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Wow, that is worse than I expected. That's a heartbreaker. :-(

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Its hard to tell what is dirty mud and what is rust. :)

What color is the dirt in Oklahoma? :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
I was hoping for the best..... too bad...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I heard about it probably just four years ago or so and had forgotten about it until something was posted about it here the other day. Oh well, it was still a great story. Next time maybe the vault should be above ground or at least in a basement. I think it would be pretty cool for someone to study the vault and to see what really went wrong and when they estimate it started filling with water. I think I read somewhere that signs pointed to it being completely filled with water at some point an time. TLC or one of those channels should do a show on it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I was watching it on line when Boyd Coddington unwrapped it live. There was a 5 gallon can of gas in the trunk. They said when it was placed there, gas was 24 cents a gallon! The time capsule inside the car was still air-tight. Very interesting stuff. All of the signatures on the white wall tires were still readable.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
What sucks is that the car probably would have been in much better shape if it had just been left in the parking lot at the courthouse.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
01GTB said:
What sucks is that the car probably would have been in much better shape if it had just been left in the parking lot at the courthouse.
Right! Like who would steal a Plymouth?

Terry- The mud in OK is red/rust color that you see on the car. So, it could be either or both, and probably is both.

57 Plymouth parts aren't exactly in great supply, might be a tough winter restore...

·
Registered
663 Posts
KevTrish said:
I was watching it on line when Boyd Coddington unwrapped it live. There was a 5 gallon can of gas in the trunk. They said when it was placed there, gas was 24 cents a gallon! The time capsule inside the car was still air-tight. Very interesting stuff. All of the signatures on the white wall tires were still readable.

I think it stinks Boyd, and his shop guys, were involved too. The CAR should have been the star.. not that clown.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Green Bullitt said:
I think it stinks Boyd, and his shop guys, were involved too. The CAR should have been the star.. not that clown.
agreed

should have used a local builder IMHO

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Kay and I went and saw it on Sunday and it's real bad you would need to be really good at metal working to fix it.... All the metal would need replacing, including the data plate....

Tires hold air! You should see the chassis, it's even more rusted.....

Funny I was talking to a older fellow and he was at the grave site when they buried it. Every one thought it was originally Gold and white, (they thought it was this color combo from the black and white photos) he has been *****ing that it was blue and white and no one would listen.... Guess what You could make out the Blue under the rust and mud.... He also said it was wreched new car that had been repaired and couldn't sell it, because no one would buy it, so it was given to the city..... It was very cheap car for the time didn't have radio and the smallest V8

I also met the fellow with 57 Chevy convertible that he bought new (still has it)and watched them bury the Plymouth while setting on his Chevy's fender.... He was asked what he had thought about burying the car at that time..... He said, "It was dumbest thing he ever seen done". I asked him about his statment and he said he wished he never said it because he has been quoted so many times and everyone screws with him about it.

He was standing next to his beautiful 57 Chevy when I talked to him a few feet from the rust bucket, they had on display together..... I think he got the last word

Oh his 57 Chevy was Class record holder in NHRA for years.... It didn't lead sheltered life ether

1 - 15 of 15 Posts