Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful car and only 9,900 original miles! Not too far from where I live. Probably $20,000 I am guessing? Gas guzzler? Parts hard to find?

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Looks cool Vicki, but lordy, those things were two and a half tons of Detroit iron hauled around by a very thirsty 460 (400 std in 77, 460 opt, but...small difference re thirst)... probably 6-10 mpg at best.
20K is just the start...keeping it fed will cost just as much! Parts for anything out of the 70's, especially specific model parts, emissions equipment, glass/body/trim, would be problematic. Basic shared platform parts, engine, tranny, brakes etc still available.
But hey, if you don't drive far, you'd be going in retro style for sure!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks cool Vicki, but lordy, those things were two and a half tons of Detroit iron hauled around by a very thirsty 460 (400 std in 77, 460 opt, but...small difference re thirst)... probably 6-10 mpg at best.
20K is just the start...keeping it fed will cost just as much! Parts for anything out of the 70's, especially specific model parts, emissions equipment, glass/body/trim, would be problematic. Basic shared platform parts, engine, tranny, brakes etc still available.
But hey, if you don't drive far, you'd be going in retro style for sure!
Girl can dream can't she? :) It sure looks purdy though. 😋

·
Registered
410 Posts
i started working as a lot attendant at a Chrysler dealer when they were new cars.
we ended up with a LOT of those cars in trade ins. they really weren't the best built cars during that time period. every one seemed to have electrical problems that constantly drained the batteries.
electrical and hidden headlight doors were a constant problems with them.
as posted earlier. those 460's REALLY used a LOT OF GAS and weren't that fast for all of the gas they used. i had a built hemi 69 road runner in HS that got better gas mileage them my buddies hand me down 460 Lincoln town car.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Girl can dream can't she? :) It sure looks purdy though. 😋
Never said it didn't look to be in great shape, and ya, I can certainly see you cruising around in that yacht...
But 20k???
All that glitters is not gold...

Mid 70's anything has the quality of todays worst Chinese junk...and you'd be looking at an exhorbitant operating and maintenance expense...

I have an '88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...
It's an absolute hoot to drive, and gets lots of attention!! But...all the shi*s and giggles come with the cost of it being a constant money pit, both to operate (8 - 10 mpg), as well as maintain, always needing something fixed/replaced...which gets worse every year.
I also have a '78 VW hippie bus...same story (other than mpg)...

Bottom line, you have to ignore the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet, and enjoy working on your own cars, to own a classic.
As example, I was a mechanic in the 70's, so I know how to work on carbs and ignition systems from that era. Just try to find a mechanic in todays world who can troubleshoot, tune or rebuild a carb, or tune your ignition system...points? Condensor? Dwell? What's that?? Dwell meter, timing light, vacuum gauge, screw driver & wrench, and the smell and temp of the exhaust...not many of those mechanics left...

So ya...cool to dream about...but realities will bite you if unprepared...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts