Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Turbo Coupe for my daily driver. What do you guys think? It has 120K miles, interior and body are in great shape. The motor is okay, it needs cleaning. Its all stock. He wants $1500 obo. What should I offer?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
NADA list a 88 Tubro coupe T-bird for;

High $8700 which would be a #2 car

Avg $5275 which would be a #3 car

Low $2825 which is #4 car or driver

#1 FULLY restored or extremely low mileage orginal (basiclly rolling art work not used for transportation)
#2 A #1 that some one has started driving
#3 a older restoration (most collector cars that attend cruise ins are in this group)
#4 a driver
#5 restorable
#6 parts only

Sounds like it would fit a #4 to #5 condition vehicle do like Mark says offer 1K and see what he does... WARNING Parts are hard to come by

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I wouldn't buy it, had a Mercury/Merkur with the same basic 2.3 turbo. It had pretty good power, but bad turbo lag and didn't get very good MPG when on it. I wouldn't think it would make a very good DD.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lowest he is willingly to go is $1300. I just test drove the car, it runs good. You can really feel the turbo kick in too. I like the car. It should get better gas mileage than my bullitt right?

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
VCal-Bullitt2567 said:
The lowest he is willingly to go is $1300. I just test drove the car, it runs good. You can really feel the turbo kick in too. I like the car. It should get better gas mileage than my bullitt right?

depends on your right foor AND driving habits ......honestly, I don t think you will much difference at all

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jinx44 said:
The 2.3T is really a great engine. The auto trans are junk, but if its a 5 speed, they use a good T5.

I have an early turbo coupe engine that I am putting in a foxbody.
Yeah, its a 5-speed. I've been researching and they say the motor is good up to 300K. It felt strong for a 4-banger. I think I'm going to get it, you can do little mods to it too.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
It will be a fun car and a very reasonable investment at $1 - 1500

I do not recommend you push it too hard but keep it well tuned - you will enjoy it and recoup your $$.

If it doen't work out they make a nice flower pot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
FCMCBULLITT said:
It will be a fun car and a very reasonable investment at $1 - 1500

I do not recommend you push it too hard but keep it well tuned - you will enjoy it and recoup your $$.
+1 :goodvibe:

They are one of the best, if not the best, looking T-birds :smile: out there.

Hell if I ran across it, I'd get it.

You probably won't see much of a $$ savings though, except you will be lessening the wear and tear and mileage on the Bullitt.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I drove one many years ago and I liked it a lot. It didn't perform like a 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'll have to agree that T-Bird body style I always liked. MPG I can't comment my Merkur was completly different execept the engine, but like was said when you get into that turbo the milage takes a real Dive. I didn't keep it long so I don't know about durability, but to me the engine was nosey and rough/unrefined. I'm not into
4cy high performance/turbo engines now, at the time I tried it and didn't like it, but thats me. If you buy it I hope it works for you, sounds like a good price for a rather unique car and Good Luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just brought the car today for $1300. He is the original owner and even has the original pink slip. I hope this was a good buy. It was just something about the car I couldn't let it go.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Congratulations!

Check out foureyedpride.com. Those folks are fox body lovers, and the Turbo T-bird is one of them. It could be a good resource for spare parts. Or to sell it off should you tire of the old bird. Membership to login and read is free, and like here you can pay a very nominal fee and get more access, post photos, etc.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Good find. I had a friend with one of those and it was always fun to drive. I do remember the turbo lag, but it was still fun to drive. I'm sure there is some sort of t-bird forum out there as well to help with parts. Post up some pics.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Looks good from this angle, how's the front end?

I remember when they were new, and I just had to have one. Of course I was still piloting a Fiesta at the time... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.